Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyLily_akb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
    Engagement at 16.
    Ok, I'm going to be 16 in December. My boyfriend and I have talked about marriage and want to get married as soon as we get out of high school. Would it be a bad idea (if it's legal) to get engaged until then? And If so would it be a bad idea (if our parents let us) if we got married while still in high school? I'm very confused and we love each other very much. I need some good advice, because mine isn't working. :(
    Biggie Posts: 99, Reputation: 10

Sep 29, 2007, 03:46 PM
    That's pretty young to be thinking about something like marriage. You don't sound too confident in your question, so it looks like you may be having some doubts. I don't see the need to be engaged at your early age. Instead, make a commitment or something like that. Then, when high school is over, see where you guys are at. If you still feel the same at that time, then think about engagement and marriage. If you two love each other as much as you say you do, then you don't need to worry about being engaged right now. Instead, just be two high school kids who love each other and take it from there.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 03:52 PM
    At 16 you should be thinking of going to the next school dance, and making sure your homework is done, and dating to be find out what relationships are all about. Few relationships at 16 make it till 18.
    So you want to be married out of high school ( while I have a lot of issues about that, since that makes it so hard to go to college and have a better life) But if you want to great, so wait till a month or two before graduation to be engaged and date till there, there is no difference beyond a name .
    superstew1974 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 29, 2007, 08:25 PM
    Don't do it. Your feeling may be very strong, but you are quite young. There is too much life yet to live. I didn't get married till I was 31 yrs old. You have way too much growing yet to do. Don't be so serious so soon. Go to prom, football games or join the chemistry club.
    The point I'm trying to make is live your young life. You will be an adult a whole lot longer then you will be a teenager. Trust me on this. You have the rest of your life -post high school and possible college to worry about paying mortgages, phone bills, babies, diapers, medical issues and all the other adult stuff. This is just a taste of what an adult has to think about on a daily basis. Why would you want to do that now? All you really need to worry about is going to school. You guys can still be boyfriend and girlfriend w/out having to be engaged. Life is really not like an episode of One Tree Hill.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Oct 1, 2007, 08:37 PM
    I had 3 BEST friends that got married DAYS after we graduated high school. All 3 are divorced, one has been divorced twice and is 21. I have been with my husband since I was 16... but we didn't get married until we were 21... and it's been a GREAT first year! I'm just saying, give yourself itme to think about it. It doesn't hurt to hink about and tlak about, BUT, actually doing it is a BIG deal. SOME people can make it work. I would suggest you wait, because you never know how people change.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is an Engagement Model? [ 3 Answers ]

Could somebody explain or share with me an example of an engagement model? Thanks.

Engagement while still married [ 7 Answers ]

Please can you help me? I am in a serious relationship, but I am still married, we have been separated for nearly a year and are looking into divorce. Is it illegal to get engaged, whilst still married to someone else? I know it is illegal to marry

Engagement party [ 1 Answers ]

Does the groom have to make a speech at the engagement party?

Broken engagement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I think I just need someone else's perspective here... I've been dating a guy for almost 4 years now. In that time I would say he's probably broken up with me at least 10 times. Each time he in incredibly hurtful and mean. But then he calls in a day or two and acts like the sweetest person...

What will my parents think of engagement? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 16 and have a son who is 4 mnths old. I have been with his father for almost 2 years and we want to get engaged. How can I tell my parents this?

View more questions Search