Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xsassygirl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Shut off valves
    This is my problem. I have moved into an older home and I am doing some remodeling and when I went to remove the countertop and sink in the bathroom, I found that plastic piping came through the floor and directly to the faucets.

I wish to put a shut off valve on the plastic pipe after shutting off the water so that I can remove the countertop and sink. I am not sure how to proceed in doing this. I understand the concept of the adapters and I want the shut off to connect two pieces of plastic pipe together. I will be using plastic piping to reconnect the sink area.

Thank you,

Pat :-)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Xsassygirl;; there are two types of shutoff's you can get, one is glue on only. The best one to get is the one that takes a screw in cpvc adapter and glues to your incomeing pipe. Then you use a gray or white plastic riser to go on up to the bottom of the faucetand hook on. . #1- trun off water , cut plastic line (USE CPVC PLASTICPIPE) install cutoff then when you are ready ,top is on ,faucet installed, install riserto faucet. Don't use the white pvc pipe for hot water, it does not hold up to hot water.IT is made for cold water only,. ;IF ihave helped rate my answer at the bottom. Have a good day F.B.E.

Sep 29, 2007, 03:35 PM
    Hi, is there a special name for this type of adapter, so that I know what to ask for when I go to the plumbing supplier?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 03:48 PM
    FBE left out a step. The first thing is to identify the type of plastic, PVC, CPVC, PEX or cross linked polyethylene, polybutylene, ABS, and who knows what else may have been used at one time. PVC won't take the temperature of hot water, and I am not sure if ABS was ever approved for anything except waste and vent lines.

If it is the white PVC and cream colored CPVC, I see no reason not to buy the solvent weld valves. Whatever you do, buy ball valves. They leak less, shut off tighter, and are easier to work.

The pipe should tell on it what it is. Post back with what you find. Each type of
    Plastic pipe has its own methods to work with.

Sep 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Hi,

Both pipes leading to the hot and cold faucets are cpvc pipes. As I stated, this is an old house and from other things I have noted, the repair work was not done by a professional, otherwise they would have known to use different plastic pipes unless using the cpvc is acceptable.

Pat:-)
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
    CPVC is more expensive than PVC, but works fine on cold water. On a small DIY job, it may not be worth it to use PVC on the cold. It is also easier to adapt from copper to CPVC than PVC. I would go to Lowe's and buy a couple of CPVC solvent weld ball valves, a can of CPVC cement, and a can of primer. Read and follow directions.

If you want to complicate you life with threaded joints, you need CPVC male pipe adapters.

I had to redo the piping under my kitchen sink last year. I used CPVC compression fittings on both sides to go from the old copper to CPVC, then CPVC valves.

Note, if you shut the main water valve off, you must open a hot water line or tap unless you have an expansion tank on the hot water heater. Due to expansion and contraction with temperature changes, water must always be free to flow in and out of it.

Sep 29, 2007, 04:43 PM
    Thank you for the information. I spent most of the day trying to find an illustration on the step by step method but to no avail. I will take your advise under consideration.

Thank you.

Pat:-)
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
    LABMAN:, ON the top side of the ball shutoff valve 9SHE is going to have to change, The riser I spoke of is not ridget, its flexable and easy to cut .If she uses the ball valve she can get thec adapter at the same time and risers the other type of shut off I was talking about are metal ,easy to turn on or off 1/2 turn and easy to install. I think the kind you used in your kitchen was what is called ( TRAnssion ) made of brass.I've used a lot of them.. ::: F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:03 PM
    The body of the valves I used were CPVC just like the pipe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Mom Won't Shut Up and My dad won't shut up, noise noise. Annoyed. [ 18 Answers ]

My mom nevers shut up. She repeats everything and reminds me about everything. Also, my dad eats with his mouth open cause he's old and I have to hear it because my computer is near the dining room, actually basically in probably. Also, my big brother laughs upstairs at his anime.. My twin brother...

Corrosion? Of Plastic Stems of Water Shut-off Valves [ 4 Answers ]

In a condominium constructed about 12-15 years ago in Henderson, NV, I discovered 6 out of 8 under-sink water shut-off valves to have badly corroded valve stems, if that term can be legitimately applied to plastic. The "corrosion" was so bad that one valve had failed causing a flood. Since 75% of...

I think its my valves.. please help... [ 3 Answers ]

Ok I have a 90 accord ex auto and the other day I was driving to pa to visit a friend and I was coming home and I realized while I was pressing on the gas the car was slowing down and I have a pretty loud exhaust and from what I could hear it sounded like a putting sound so I pulled over.. I got...

Access to shut off valves [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there is a code in sarasota fl that says you must have access to shut off valves in your tubs and if so what is that code and where can I get a copy. Thank you[ Manny

Leaky Shut off valves [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I live in the Northeast and for the first time this past winter, I actually used the shutoff valves that lead to my outside water spigots. Now that I've turned them back on, they are leaking whenever the water line is open. I noticed they have nuts on the front... was I supposed to...

View more questions Search