Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lowflyingJets Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 07:25 PM
    Up Goes the Rent
    I've been an ideal tenant for seven years, and to thank me, my lanlord jacked the rent up seventy-five dollars in less than two years. Is this legal?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 02:25 AM
    Unfortunately, yes.

In most areas a landlord can raise the rent as much as they like - as long as the period of the last lease agreement has been fulfilled.

To be sure, though, if you'll send me a copy of your lease, along with
    1. What state you're in, and
    2. a copy of your last rent change notice
    I'd be happy to take a look at it.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 10, 2005, 04:41 AM
    Contact your town clerk to see if there is a rent control ordinance. If so then your landlord is limited in the amount that the rent can be increased. If not then unfortunately the landlord can increase the rent as much as he wants at the beginning of each new lease term.
    slippydippydo Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2005, 01:13 PM
    If you're not in a rent control district, your landlord can increase the rent in accord with the lease.

Tenant rights vary depending on jurisdiction, but absent any rent control, it is legal to raise rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I refuse rent? (AR) [ 7 Answers ]

Rented to a young man back in Nov '05 and his dad co-signed. Every month it was a problem collecting rent. We had to make several phone calls to both him and his dad and then rent would be paid sometime between the 3rd and the 5th. We were getting really tired of this, but he said in May '06 he was...

Rent [ 8 Answers ]

I rented more than half of my apt. which incl the kitchen to someone and charged her $1000. A month as my apt. is rent control I pay only $1100. I also paid for the electric bill. We had agreed on the price prior to her moving in as rents in nyc start at $1500 for an efficiency. She now is suing...

Pay Rent or Quit in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay. Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a...

Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I have received a letter from the landlords wife saying that she will try to keep all 8 properties that he owned, I talk to her personally and she said that she is trying to make ends meet as far as paying morgat and taxes out of her pocket, section 8 is not sending payments to her, As far as I'm...

View more questions Search