Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmiller0384 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 02:50 PM
    Problem with my friends computer
    I have a problem with my friends computer I try to install windows 98 on it, but every time I start the computer the bootlog says Media test failed, Check cable what dose that mean. There is no OS on it, it's a blank hard drive
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 10, 2005, 02:17 AM
    Re-partition the hard disk!

I'll assume there's nothing on this disk you want to keep (otherwise back it up first).

Use a windows 98 boot disk to run fdisk and create a primary partition. Reboot with the boot disk still in the drive and at the dos prompt type "format c:" without the quotes & press return.

Once this drive has been formatted boot from CD and install windows 98
    On second thoughts, I think you can get to a dos prompt just using the win98 cd so you don't need a boot floppy! Either way works :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2005, 05:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller0384
    i have a problem with my friends computer i try to install windows 98 on it, but every time i start the computer the bootlog says Media test failed, Check cable what dose that mean
    With an older machine the CD might not be bootable. You will need a boot disk with your CD drivers on it. If you don't have one you can try bootdisk.com.

Once you repartition run Format C: /S (not just Format C:). Then run setup from the Windows CD.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Floppy Boot Disk
    Hi,
    Check your boot order in the CMOS . You want to ensure that the floppy drive and hard drive are in the boot sequence first.

Here is how to enter the CMOS/BIOS in most computers:
    The following is step-by-step for entering the computer's CMOS/BIOS computer settings.
    Newer computers use the F1, or either F2, or either Delete, or either the Esc key. After re-boot or startup, immediately press down one of these keys, hold down for about 2 seconds, release, they press down for 2 seconds. Continue until it either goes into the settings window, or boots to windows.
    If it boots to windows, then shutdown or restart, and try the same thing with one of the other keys.
    Older computers use a combination of keys, such as Ctrl Alt Esc, (holding down all three keys at the same time), or Ctrl Alt Shift, or Ctrl Alt Delete.
    A Del computer uses DEL key.

After you get to the settings screen, the right hand side of the screen gives instructions on how to navigate around,; such as "the arrow keys" move up and down, or right and left. Esc key takes you back a step back. etc.
    If you wish you change a setting, such as the boot sequence, then:
    Key down to the "Boot Options" or "Boot Sequence". This tells the computer to boot to the floppy drive, then maybe the CD-ROM, and last, the C:/ prompt, then it automatically boots to windows.
    In the "Boot Options" space, some computers say press the Enter key to view the choices.
    Select how you want it to boot. A good choice(s) is to boot to all three; i.e. floppy, CD-ROM, then C:.
    This will enable you to install the operating system with either a floppy (Boot disc) or the install CD for windows, if you have the CD.
    Use the arrow keys on the keyboard to go to the different Menu categories at the top.
    After finishing, just press Esc, and following the directions to either "Save" or "Cancel" (without saving), returning to the normal booting-up process.

Here are step by step instructions for making a floppy boot disk, if your friend's computer will recognize the CD-ROM. Also, instructions for the Fdisk and Format, as given by another post.

Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, and leave the Boot Disk in the computer.

Now, turn off the computer manually. Wait a few seconds, then turn it back on.

Wait until it comes up to the A:> prompt.
    We must do do an "FDISK", which will delete and re-create a DOS partition for the Full Version.

At the A:\ prompt Type: FDISK and press ENTER.
    Press ENTER to select Large Disk Support.
    Select Option 3, Delete partition or Logical DOS drive. (whatever option # this is)
    Select Extended Partion, then
    Delete Extended partition.
    Select delete Primary DOS Partition.
    Press ESC.
    Select Create Primary DOS Partition.
    Choose Yes to use maximum size.(100%)
    Press ENTER when prompted for a Volume Label.
    When Back at the FDISK Menu, select Set Active Partition.
    Press ESC on the keyboard.

Now, if you wish to format the hard drive, then:
    Re-boot and,
    At the A:> prompt, type in FORMAT C: /S
    It will look like A:>FORMAT C: /S
    (The /S will copy system files to the harddrive).
    When it finishes formatting, then go to the next steps.

Install Windows:
    Insert the install Win98/98SE install CD.
    Press the CTRL+ALT+DELETE keys all at the same time. This will re-boot the computer.
    Select boot to CD-ROM.
    Press F1 to continue.
    When the Menu comes up, select Install Windows 98.
    Press the F1 Key.
    Press the F1 key again.
    If the option of installing Windows 95 or Windows 98 appears, choose the entry for installing Windows 98 and press ENTER.
    The OS installation is being prepared.
    Now, just relax, follow all the instructions presented on the screen.

You will then have to reinstall all the printer, scanners, etc, software.

Best of luck,
    fredg
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 10, 2005, 05:53 AM
    All the other advice is very good, once you can get in, but if you still get the same error message, open up your PC and check and see if the connections might be a little loose, especially if it is a rebuilt PC or you just got a new HDD and that is the reason you wanted to install the OS in the first place. If it's a new PC, then take it back to the dealer and tell him of the problem and make him fix it. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller0384
    i have a problem with my friends computer i try to install windows 98 on it, but every time i start the computer the bootlog says Media test failed, Check cable what dose that mean

Oct 10, 2005, 06:39 AM
    Nice to see some more answers, but why are you (fredg & Scott) suggesting copying the system files from the floppy? This is taken care of by the operating system installation!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 10, 2005, 07:21 AM
    Hi Stu, remember this is an attempt to install Win 98 and if I remember correctly, you need the floppy to install that. I had Win95, then Win98 and Win98SE upgrade and all those times a floppy was required. But his original message indicated another error regarding the 'media' so that's another issue.

Oct 10, 2005, 07:44 AM
    Hi Chery, you are correct about windows 95 - that doesn't self boot from the CD. Windows 98 however does, the reason we are discussing re-partitioning and formatting the hard drive is that the computer appears to have ignored the primary hard disk drive and gone on to try to boot from the network card (hence the check cable message). This can be caused by an un-partitioned hard drive as found in self build systems. I am just curious as to why Fred & Scott like to transfer system files after formatting the hard drive, maybe I'll learn something!

Anyway, hope you are well, keep up the good work:)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 10, 2005, 08:24 AM
    Thanks again Stu, I did not have the other PC hooked up to the net, maybe that's why I had no problems - another lesson learned. I am doing just fine, thank you for asking and have a wonderful day.

Oct 10, 2005, 09:50 AM
    Stu,

While its true that Win98 can self boot from CD, that feature requires a CD that can be added to the boot sequence. That feature is fairly new. A lot of machines that came with Win 98 didn't have that option.

As to why I recommended use the /S parameter during the format, that's the way I always done it. I do forget if the Win 98 install will transfer the system files. But it doesn't hurt to do it. Been a long while since I installed a Win 98 system. There is also the issue of which version of the Win 98 CD he has. Some full versions require an unformatted disk to install to. Others require that a prior version be installed.

I also have a few things to kick about with Fred's canned reply. While it may be necessary in this case (because of the error), it is NOT a "need" to repartition. The ONLY reason to repartition before a reformat is if you want to change the partition structure. And would not recommend that a person make a single partition as Fred does.

Also, as I said, not all machines provide a boot to CD option, something Fred neglects to mention.

Scott<>

Oct 10, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Thanks for the reply Scott, in my original post I did state that either CD or boot floppy could be used for this purpose. In my opinion you should only boot from floppy disks when the CD option is unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Once you repartition run Format C: /S (not just Format C:). Then run setup from the Windows CD.
    I don't mind you saying how you use the format command, but don't post that my method is wrong unless you have a good reason. There is no good reason to copy the floppy system files onto the hard drive that I am aware of, mostly this switch is used for creating boot floppies from existing working 9x installations.

Other than this I think we agree! Have a nice day:)

Oct 10, 2005, 04:13 PM
    I go back to the days of DOS where you had to format a hard drive before installing the OS. I've always done it that way, so I felt it was still the case at least with Win 9x. Thanks for letting me know its no longer necessary.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friends [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that all of my classmates hate me. I knew that I wasn't best friends with any of them but I didn't know that they hated me or made fun of me behind my back. One says I'm anoying and that I follow people around. If someone leaves, of course I go with them! What am I supposed to...

I'm looking for new friends... [ 6 Answers ]

Good day! I'm a 28 year old filipina who loves to read and act. Born on Dec 24, 1977. I'm a Capricorn.I know how to cook and bake. I read sci-fi, astrology and witchcraft books.I love to write. In fact I'm a part of our newsletter committee in our office. Loves surfing the net.I also love...

Direct computer to computer connection via Ethernet ports [ 1 Answers ]

I should like to connect two Windows XP computers via Gigabit ethernet ports. What a software is necessary To ensure the possibility to use one of the PCs as a terminal of another With sharing HDDs ets?

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Computer Problem [ 5 Answers ]

Working on a computer that will not work at its home location. Bring it into the office or take it to my home - works fine. Cannot figure out the problem. Can't operate computer at all at home location - continuosly locks up one right after the other, have to alt control delete to reboot or...

View more questions Search