Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ericz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 08:33 AM
    Overactive sump pump
    I bought a new house last Oct. I found I had an over active sump pump. The pump works every few hours in dry season and maybe every min. or so in heavy rain season. The water in the pit is crystal clear, no odor.
    Can someone tell me the reason? How can I fix this ? Should I just raise the pump?
    Thank you very much in advance.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 9, 2005, 09:18 AM
    Hi Eric,

Ever think that your house might be located over a artesian well? Or that there's a really high water table? Talk to your closet neighbors. See what they have to say. In the mean time the sump pump's just doing its job, doing what it's made to do and that's evacuating water out of the sump.
    If you're on a slope you might be able to run a line from the sump out and drain it before the pump kicks in but it's hard to fault something when it's operating correctly. Cheers, tom
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Maybe the float switch is set too low? Wait and notice how far up in your storm pit the water comes up before your sump kicks in too see if its kicking in too soon. Then if so, adjust the little stoppers on the float stem with an allan/hex key until the pump has a range you're comfortable with.

If this isn't the case, and like speedball said you are getting a lot of water from your foundation drains then personally I would invest in a decent sump pump (not one of the cheapie deals with a plastic pump casing), and if you want maybe even a sump alarm to warn you if the pump has failed to kick in, lest you have a flooded basement.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
    If it is kicking on and off every minute or 2, maybe the float is too low. The sump could be too small, or not deep enough. Most motors won't stand up to such short cycles.

Also, check outside for the ground sloping toward the house, gutters and down spouts not carrying rain way from the foundation. You could also have a bad drain form them. Unless improperly connected to the sanitary sewers, the water will be clean and clear. Make sure wherever the pump pumps the water to, it isn't running right back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oder coming from sump pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a foul oder coming from my sump pump. I have had 2 plumbers in and they both say there is nothing wrong with my sump pump. The smell is awful and I don't know where to go or who to call at this point. They both agreed that the oder was coming from my pump but not sure why. Any...

Sump pump [ 10 Answers ]

I recently bought a new house and was wondering if the sump pump draining into the main drain instead of on its own drain to outside the house is a problem? I have never had a sump pump before and was curious because we get a sewage smell inside our bathroom every once in awhile on the first floor...

Sump pump volume calculation [ 3 Answers ]

I'm currently trying to solve a sump pump capacity problem. I never have water in basket except in very bad 5+ inches of rain in short periods 1/2 day or less. Then it comes so fast It is almost impossible to keep up with. I'm planning on installing a new Zoeller pump capable of 93 gpm with 10...

Installing a 2 sump pump system [ 1 Answers ]

I got a client asking me how I can install a 2 sump pump system in case one fails or the power goes out Anyone can send me some pictures how to do so please the job needs to be done tomorrow It would be nice to get good detail how to install the 2 pumps Submersible only ...

Sump Pump popping [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house and the sump pump and or lines make strong popping bang every time we use the washer and it's draining or we are using several drains, the contractor says its normal I don't think so. Any ideas? It has been doing it seen we moved in ( a month)

View more questions Search