Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophathan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Left groin & down the left leg pain, Hysterectomy didn't work
    I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor thought the fibroids and cysts were the ones which was causing the pain, so I just had a hysterectomy last week and I still have the pain which is worse than before.
    Can anyone help me with this and shed some light.

Thanks
    Sophia
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 28, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Have you seen any doctors besides a GYN? It does sound like nerve pain, and could be related to your previous concern. It could also be something happening coincidentally. You might want to ask the GYN for a referral or go get a second opinion.
    norawcoffey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Hi Sophia,

What you're describing does sound like nerve pain. When did the pain begin before the surgery? Have you ever had surgery before the hysterectomy, a C-section, tubal ligation, or any other pelvic surgery? Were your ovaries removed?

It's surprising that your doctor removed your uterus instead of removing the fibroids and leaving your uterus intact, a surgery called myomectomy. A skilled surgeon can remove any number of fibroids of any size without removing the uterus, and ovarian cysts without removing the ovaries.

Did your gynecologist send you to a neurologist for an MRI and evaluation to determine the cause of your pain prior to the hysterectomy?

On the web site www.hersfoundation.org/anatomy there is a video "Female Anatomy: the Functions of the Female Organs" and charts of the nerves that may help you to understand what you are experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by sophathan
    I had fibroids and cysts in my left ovaries. Since I had severe pain in the lower left stomach, groin and all the way down on my left leg. The pain is only prominent when I lie down. I am fine during the day, but when I lie down the pain is intense. It looks like one nerve or something. The Doctor thought the fibroids and cysts were the ones which was causing the pain, so I just had a hysterectomy last week and I still have the pain which is worse than before.

Thanks
    Sophia
    SJL001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 02:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sophathan

Thanks
    Sophia
    I am experiencing exactly the same symptons; burning pain in ovarian region with same intense pain down the right leg, quite severe. It comes and goes and is very intense at times. I would like to know what is causing this as I do not have ovarian cysts, but do have a Marena fitted.
    leelee1006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 06:10 PM
    I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and had everything removed due to endometiosis and polycystic ovaries. I am getting that same pain now with pain in the lower back and left side of abdomen. Went to E.R. and they did a cat scan and couln't find anything. They think it might be more endo and scar tissue. So much for hysterectomy. All that did was cause a nightmare at 32 years old and unbelievable menopausal symptoms even with Hormones. This has been a nightmare for me. Now I have to go back to gyno for another surgery to see what's going on. Same thing, when I lay down it is intense for me too. During the day it isn't as bad.
    leelee1006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
    I had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and had everything removed due to endometiosis and polycystic ovaries. I am getting that same pain now with pain in the lower back and left side of abdomen. Went to E.R. and they did a cat scan and couln't find anything. They think it might be more endo and scar tissue. So much for hysterectomy. All that did was cause a nightmare at 32 years old and unbelievable menopausal symptoms even with Hormones. This has been a nightmare for me. Now I have to go back to gyno for another surgery to see what's going on. Same thing, when I lay down it is intense for me too. During the day it isn't as bad.
    iwanttokno Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 10:09 PM
    Test

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ongoing left groin and leg pain [ 7 Answers ]

I have pain in the left groin area that moves up and down between my left mid-shin, across the top of my left thigh and into the left groin. It has been checked several times over time and now I am having a real problem. In the prone position, I have relatively good movemnet of legs etc, I cannot...

Pain in left groin area [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, first time user here. I am 41, have had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, been having a lot of pain in left groin area. Have had mri, x-ray, ultrasound, and they cannot find anything. At first they thought it was my gallbladder, but to no avail, it was fine. Where do I go from here? Major drugs...

Left am and leg pain [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is 50 years old. This is the second time he is experiencing sharp pains (muscle) of the left arm and left leg. Mostly at night and when he holds his breath, it seem to give him some relieve. It lasted for about an hour and finally got relieve and slept off only after a good massage. What...

Left groin pulsing pain [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a sporadic pulsing pain in my left groin going several inches down into my leg on and off for a few months now. It is not hugely painful but worrying nonetheless. Any ideas? I don't think there is an ovulation connection.

Pain in lower left groin [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone I am 22 years old and have never had a regular period. I can't even remember the last time I had a natural period. But my concern at this moment is that I have a pain on my lower left groin area that I have had for about 2 months now and it seems to be getting worse. Its kindof...

View more questions Search