Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Hole in wall.how do I repair?
    I think, while moving, someone knocked a piece of furniture into my wall while going up the stairs.
    Right above one of the baseboards is a fist-sized hole. The piece of drywall is still there, just not attached. I tried to repair it with spackle, but it just pushes the piece of drywall in.

How can I fix this hole?:confused:
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 07:05 AM
    I have repaired holes like this by:

Removing the loose drywall piece(if it is just a loose piece,not crumbling)it can be used again.

Taking a piece of wood(1X) a little bit longer than the actual hole size(if the hole is 4" wide made a piece 7" long),and slid it into the opening holding it through the hole,then screwing the wood through the existing drywall/plaster etc. 1 screw on each end.

Then take the replacement piece(or the original,if it is in good enough shape) and screwing it to the wood crossing the opening.

Finishing then with spackle,or drywall compound as needed,sanding and taping,taping is a lengthy,sometimes tricky process requiring a little finesse.

Hope this is helpful,
    Ken
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 07:17 AM
    You have to cut a new square/rectangular hole.

You can cut drywall with a utility knife. When cutting large pieces. Score and break.

Then you need to glue a couple of strips of wood from the inside of the wall with construction adhesive.

You'll have to devise a method of clamping. Use a strip, drill a hole(s) in and place on the outside of the hole. Use a screw to draw up the wood behind the drywall until it sets. Pre-screw in the screws and remove prior to glueing.

Then cut a piece of drywall to fit the hole and glue to the strips or you can use drywall screws.

Use seam tape on the seams and drywall compound on the seams. Let dry and sand.

Paint.

It's a multi-step process and a lot of hurry and wait for stuff to dry.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Why is this so confusing to me?? Haha

So with all the screwing and stuff... won't the screws show on the outside? I guess that is what I am not understanding... how to get a the drywall to stay in place?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 08:33 AM
    They also make a product that is sort of like screen but sticky like tape, you place this over the hold and then do the drywall work
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Is this better?

Patching Drywall Tutorial
    Tommyjo206 Posts: 38, Reputation: 8

Sep 28, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    They also make a product that is sorta like screen but sticky like tape, you place this over the hold and then do the drywall work
    This is a very easy product to use. It can be found in the drywall area of Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards. It is a stiff screen that has a self adhesive back side. They come in different sizes so get one at least 1-2 inches larger than the hole. You will need a small tub of drywall compound. I like the lightweight type. It drys faster and is easier to sand. The screen should have about 1 inch of wall to stick to. More is OK. Apply the compound to the entire screen surface. Spread the compound beyond the screen at least 2-4 inches in all directions. At the edges, spread the compound thin to blend in with the wall. Wait until completely dry. You can sand (150 grit) the patch smooth but do not oversand. If the screen material shows through, clean the area and reapply compound. There will be a slight hump but this can be minimised by spreading out further from the screen edges. You can also wet sand this. Get a regular sponge and a bucket of water. Wet the sponge and wring well. The sponge should be wet but not dripping. Lightly rub the entire area in circular motions. Rinse often. This eliminates all the dust and most of the clean up. Let it dry and check your work.
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Thanks so much for all your answers! I had no clue how to go about fixing it, once I tried the spackle alone and it failed.

You all rock! :):)
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 29, 2007, 11:42 AM
    The screen is the best thing to use here for this type hole.

The screen has an adhesive back to it, and will stick to the wall its about 6" x 6" square,
    Apply to the wall and with a sheetrock knife (6" knife)apply a coat of sheetrock mud (you can get this in a gallon bucket)

after this drys apply another coat of mud, and try and get this one smoother than the last coat. let this dry and put a final coat of sheetrock mud on, let this dry , each coat will take just under a day to dry,

also when you apply the mudd it should be 3 to 4" bigger than the screen patch you have
    So the mudd will cover the patch and lap onto the wall, and this method is done on all 4 sides

After its all dry, sand it smooth with 150 grit sand paper
    Prime and then paint, if you don't prime you will see a color difference when you paint, good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to repair large hole in tree trunck [ 2 Answers ]

How do I repair a large hole in an Oak tree trunk? Do I fill it with something or just leave nature to heal its self? I would hate to lose the tree. It appears to be have been done by a woodpecker. A very large, deep hole about 6 inches tall by 3 wide. About 8 foot off the ground. Thanks...

Toilet bowl inside small hole/crack repair? [ 2 Answers ]

Something must have fallen into the toilet bowl - there is a very small crack/hole that doesn't seem to be letting water out as the water level stays the same - but - I really want to put something over it to seal it. Is there an epoxy or sealant I can use to seal this - I rent the apartment and...

Drywall Hole Repair [ 1 Answers ]

:eek: Help- I have repaired holes in drywall before. This one puzzles me. I wanted some advice before I attempted to fix it. We were trying to put up a decorative shelf. We have it perfectly measured and need to place the shelf at a certain place in the room. The shelf kit came with a...

Fixing a hole in the plastic shower stall wall [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I've got a hole in a shower stall wall that appears to have come from nowhere, other than the normal washing and maintenance of the wall with a wash cloth. Need to know what kind of filler and sealant to put in the hole to make sure that the hole is filled with a...

Removed switch, hole in wall plate [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I removed a switch from a circuit inside a 3-gang box. Now I have a hole in my switch plate. I'm assuming there's something I can find that will be a kind of "dummy switch" and basically cover the hole in the switch plate from the inside. Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and if so...

View more questions Search