Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skolnic1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 04:16 AM
    Married, but living in two states
    Hello,

I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment, register my car in WV, register to vote in WV etc.. ) but not actually live in WV? I have 4 jobs all in WV, so I would be able to pay WV taxes. I guess my question is if I do all of these things to become a WV resident, can I still live in KY with my husband? What will happen to our taxes? Will we have to file separately? In-state tuition is $15,000 a year and out of state is $40,000... so as long as becoming a WV resident isn't more than $25,000 than I think it would be worth it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 05:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by skolnic1
    Hello,

I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment, register my car in WV, register to vote in WV etc..) but not actually live in WV? I have 4 jobs all in WV, so I would be able to pay WV taxes. I guess my question is if I do all of these things to become a WV resident, can I still live in KY with my husband? What will happen to our taxes? Will we have to file separately? In-state tuition is $15,000 a year and out of state is $40,000....so as long as becoming a WV resident isn't more than $25,000 than I think it would be worth it. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
    What you're describing actually sound like fraud for personal gain. I'm not an expert on this but I think you'll eventually get caught.

Your duration of residence in a previous state has no bearing, in my opinion, unless you maintain a home there as well. But even then, it would likely have to be your primary residence to qualify you for in-state tuition rates.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Most states require you live in the state for a FULL year before you qualify for in-state tuition.

I disagree with CPT Rich. If you maintain an apartment, register you car and WORK in WV, I believe you will have met the criteria for being a resident of WV.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax return for married couple living in different states [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir I got married in Dec 2006. My wife lived in Texas for the entire 2006 and I live in Ohio for the entire 2006. I have some questions regarding filing this years taxes. 1) If we file our federal return under "married filing jointly" status, then can we file my Ohio tax return under ...

If I am a WI resident, but am living in NY, do I pay taxes in both states? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am living in New York for I'm not sure how long, and since I'm not sure if I am going to be here long enough to think about trying to get residency here, I was wondering if in able to work here would I have to pay taxes to both states (WI and NY)? Thank you! Rea

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

Married but living in different states [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are married but are living and working in different states. Her in California and myself in Michigan. We own a home in Michigan where I live with our 15 year old son. She rents an apartment in California where she lives with our 16 year old daughter. How do we file our federal taxes...

View more questions Search