Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2007, 02:33 AM
    What to take with me to the hospital
    :D Hello all! :D

I was just wondering if there were any specifics on what I should take to the hospital with me when I go into labor? I know I'll need comfortable clothes, toiletries, and the diaper bag with everything for baby... but is there anything else you would recommend? How is everyone doing lately by the way? I haven't been on in a while again... I guess I get on here about every month or so. I'm just about to go into my 33rd week... so baby is close, but I'm ready for him to be here already! Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
    Kris:p
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 02:57 AM
    Maternity pads if its your first and you don't already know your going to bleed like you have never bled before don't make my mistake and buy the thin ones get the good old heavy duty ones you will need it.
    Snacks and juice for you and partener is also another good idea you never know how long labour will be and a flannel so you can pat yourself down with something cool.
    Im sure there will be others to add to this but they were my most important stuff that I didn't do last time and I was told to I had everything else though :D
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 04:36 AM
    Books, games, movies... you are going to be in the room for a few days, might as well have something to do :)
    baby broody Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Sep 28, 2007, 05:59 AM
    I wasn't sure aswel with my first what I should and shudnt take in apart from the obvious, like essential babies items, clothing for myself and basic toilitries.
    before labour;i went into labour 1 week before my due date, so the evening I went in I made myself at home for the next few days whilst my husband went and bought us sum snacks, juices and magazines which were great before labour cos I never actually went into full labouir until the following morning,
    during labour the flannel and bottled water were my best friends, oh and the gas mask - lol :p , the flannel kept me cool whilst sipping on the water as my mouth was extremely drying out,
    after labour, a beautiful baby boy, and extra heavy duty maternity pads, my hospital supplied them so I took plenty home aswel, sum loose change money for the telephone cos a lot of my family especially mum and dad lived a fair bit away and didn't make it hospital in time, so to ring every and give them the good news and I would deffo recommend taking a few essential items of makeup with u, I looked so pale and drained out, I applied on light makeup for when the family/freinds came to visit us in hospital.
    I hope that wasn't to long and I bet as soon as I post this summat else will to mind, anyway hope u have a safe pregancy of wats left and GOOD LUCK to you when u go into labour, ul need it - lol
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Now, if you are in the US, you will not be allowed snacks or juice. Ice chips only once labor starts. But, you can take candy. Just make sure it is on a stick, like a sucker to prevent possible choking.

I can't add to anything else though, it's all right on target.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:09 AM
    I brought snacks and stuff, but it wasn't for before/during labor... it was for after my daughter was born and I was still in the hospital. Not to mention, I had my daughter on New Years Eve, so I wanted to have a junk food party after she was born! Haha! :):)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Underwear - Make sure you bring your oldest pairs, since as mentioned above you will be bleeding a lot. I usually call them my "laundry day" underwear :p

Pajamas - If you are breastfeeding, it is extra helpful if you bring ones that button down the front.

Lotion - For your partner to give you massages if you wish.

Chapstick - Your lips will get dry

Hard Candy - To prevent your mouth getting dry. The hospital I was in allowed it for me, but every hospital is different.

Focal Point - My hospital suggested to bring something I loved to use as a focal point. With my first son, I brought a teddy bear that my husband bought me. With my second son, I brought a picture of my first son.

Camera - Don't forget your camera so you can take pictures of your new baby!

Cell Phone - The hospital I was in didn't allow long distance calls, and my family all live far away from me. If you have a cell phone, it would be good to bring along if you want to announce the birth to far away family.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by macksmom
    I brought snacks and stuff, but it wasn't for before/during labor...it was for after my daughter was born and I was still in the hospital. Not to mention, I had my daughter on New Years Eve, so I wanted to have a junk food party after she was born! haha! :):)
    Yes, after the baby is GREAT. But here in the US they won't allow us to snack before delivery. :( Don't know about other places though. It's a shame cause so many women labor for so long.

Don't forget precious clothes and blankets for baby's first picture in the hospital. The nursery I am doing clinicals in right now suggests parents bring their own baby clothes and blankets if they want so that little one does not have to wear hospital attire for their stay.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:22 AM
    ;) I did say up there snacks and juice for your partener you aren't allowed to eat and drink while pushing here either funnily enough but they won't stop your partener having a nibble between shoves :D
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
    Along the lines of the pads, make sure you get the heavy duty, (super) LOng pads with WINGS. When I delivered my first son, they gave me super long winged pads, and I only leaked out a few times(gross but true. And its inevitable, so don't be embaressed.) The second hospital where I delivered my second son, they gave me long big ones, no wings, and I was leaking all over the place(even though my bleeding this time around was lighter then with my first) So, bring lots of those in your bag, just in case your hospital doesn't provide ones that you are comfortable with. Lots of underwear, preferably BLACK and cotton(some fabric pads just don't stick to) an mp3 player or cd player with ear phones/buds, so you can listen to your music and cut out the other noise around you. Helps you focus more. Socks, your feet get cold. (especially if you get an Epi. )an extra blanket is a good idea too. A hair tie of some sort to keep your hair pulled back and out of the way.baby clothes blanket and burp rag. Diapers and wipes.(the last hospital I was at only had these clothes towels that you had to go to the bathroom and get wet before you used them on baby's bottom, and It was frustrating having to run back and forth between the bathroom and the baby to change the diaper.)nursing bra(a few different sizes, to adjust what best fits your growing/engorged breasts)nursing pads.Lansinoh cream for your nipples. Remember to bring double of everything, as you never know how long you will be at the hospital.(you can leave half in the car, and just have it as an emergency stash that your hubby can bring if you need it) the typical hospital stay is two days, But if you have an emergency csection, or baby needs to stay longer, you may be there for several more days. (my first son had to be on an I've after he was born. So I was there from Sunday when I was induced, until Thursday morning when he was released.) bring your own comfy clothes, but make sure they aren't pre-pregnancy size as you'll likely still look six months pregnant when you leave the hospital. Not fair but true. Camera(one digital, one film.digital is best because you can download the as soon as you get home and email them to people immediately instead of having to wait for them develop.then the film you can have some keepsake pictures for photo albums) a phone card to call people.clothes for hubby, if he stays over night.shampoo tooth brush, hair brush deoderant.(try to get unscented,as strong scents can interfere with babies breastfeeding in the first few days while they are still learning)if you are going to put baby on a binki, bring the kind you want baby to use. Hospitals will usually provide these if you want your baby to have one, but they may not be the ones you want your baby to use. With my second son, they gave him the straight, round green binki, which would have been OK, but it was also vanilla flavored/scented. This made him picky with breastfeeding, because he got use to the vanilla taste, and didn't want anything else. Once I switched binkis, he no longer had any problems with it. Extra bottled water. The nurses will run and get you ice water any time you want, but you get so thirsty, and drink so much, I got tired of Asking the nurses for water every five minutes. Tux pads for sore parts down below, and they work wonders on hemeroids.thats all I can think of.
    Kris1013 Posts: 32, Reputation: 3

Sep 28, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Thanks to all who have answered!! This is helping me build a list! Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks again!
    Hugs,
    Kris

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hospital administration [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I wnted to know:) list of hospital administration/ management colleges in mumbai &pune.

Hospital Debt [ 7 Answers ]

I had made a arrangements in paying my hospital bill because I don't make that much money and at the time I didn't have insurance. The hospital agreed and I've been sending in my payment every month. I went to check my mail today and it looks like they gave my info to a collection agency in...

Out of the Hospital [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My dog just came home from the hospital he was not eating or drinking there. Now at home he is drinking but not eating and getting very thin I mix up kd paste into a syringe to feed him How can I get him to take solid food. He is 13 and had pancreatitis which has subsided. Thanks

What to pack for the hospital [ 7 Answers ]

I just thought I might ask if I have remembered everything to take to the hospital. I made a list and if anyone can add to it I would love the help. Ok so here it goes... copy and paste... Going home outfit for me Shampoo/conditioner Toothbrush/toothpaste Hair brush Hair ties/clippies Bar...

View more questions Search