Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edzmedz Posts: 180, Reputation: 12

Sep 28, 2007, 01:54 AM
    Mythological creatures half human half animal
    What are they called? There is a general therm for all of them, and each type also has an additional name. Some of them are half horse half human, others half goat half human etc..
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 05:01 AM
    Horse/human=Centaur

Goat/human=Satyr

General category not sure beyond Mythical.

Anthropomorphism
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 28, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Bull / Human = Minotaur

I'm not sure of a category, but they all class as Hybrids?
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 28, 2007, 05:12 AM
    Oooh, just stumbled across this;
    Centauroid creature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just from thinking about the "-taur" suffix!
    Any help?

Sep 28, 2007, 11:00 AM
    Thanks you guys!
    baciliom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 02:15 PM
    I've checked and my suggestion is not a recognized word. However, since the being has two creatures' shapes I propose ambimorph which would be both (ambi-) + shape, structure (morph). Dimorphism is difference in structure within a species as between male and female.

Nov 22, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by baciliom
    I've checked and my suggestion is not a recognized word. However, since the being has two creatures' shapes I propose ambimorph which would be both (ambi-) + shape, structure (morph). Dimorphism is difference in structure within a species as between male and female.

That's more of an adjective, centauroid is better.. anyway welcome to the site you are new here right?
    artistjsudler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzmedz
    What are they called? there is a general therm for all of them, and each type also has an additional name. Some of them are half horse half human, others half goat half human etc..
    I am interested in this question as well regarding my artwork. Anthropomorphism is incorrect, because it refers to giving human traits to non-human or inanimate objects. The closest I have come is Chimera which relates to a mythological Grecian female fire breathing monster who was part lion/goat/dragon/serpent. The term today refers to multiple biological aspects of various creatures bred together, such as pigs bred to produce human blood for example. I have more information on this at artistjsudler.blogspot.com. I am looking for another more concise term and will post my findings here and on my blog.
    artistjsudler Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by edzmedz
    What are they called? there is a general therm for all of them, and each type also has an additional name. Some of them are half horse half human, others half goat half human etc..
    As part of my continuing research on this subject, the answer I have found is this:

A creature which is half human & half animal is defined by the general term Therianthrope (in specific terms a werewolf is a Lycanthrope)
    There is a spiritual movement of people who believe they have the soul of a beast or predominant animal traits or are guided by powerful animal spirit guides and they are generally referred to as Therians. The term "Otherkin" is also used.

The term Chimera, which I mentioned earlier actually refers to a hybrid of animals rather than animal and human. I hope this information helps clarify the answer to the question.
    Jackyl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Parahumans
    Zizzybee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2010, 12:34 PM
    Chimeras?

Aug 5, 2010, 12:35 PM

Chimeras?

Aug 5, 2010, 12:36 PM

Sorry didn't mean to do it twice...
    taliaforeve Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 10:53 AM
    Catwomen-

1.jumps with no problems
    2.licks there selves in poblick
    3.has relly long nails
    4.sometimes likes to walk on legs and hands
    5.like kitty nip

These are things you need to look for in a girl if she says yes to all of these guess what she is??
    ErelonHart Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 22, 2011, 01:48 PM
    human/bull = minotaur
    human/horse = centaur
    human/snake = naga
    human/spider = drider
    human/goat = satyr or faun
    human/canine (wolf, fox, and domestic canines most commonly) = "canidtaur" as far as I've heard
    human/fish = mermaid
    human/bird = harpy or siren (winged human= angel)

most conbinations that aren't mentioned above are often called "a ____-human hybrid"
    animals drawn or described in a way that makes them appear more human (not having bits and pieces of human anatony) are called "anthropomorphic" or "anthro" for short. Some common anthros have their own names, anthro felines are called "nekos" and werewolves are an anthropomorphic wolf. It is possible to create an anthro out of almost any animal, in cluding mythical ones like dragons or unicorns. Also, I've seen one example of a type of hyena anthro, (which were called "gnolls" in the game) in Neverwinter Nights - Shadows of Undrentide.

also, feline/bird (most commonly lion/eagle) = griffin
    lion body/goat head/serpent head = chimera
    ... I'm afraid any others I know have slipped my mind at the moment, my apologies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What mythological creatures may live in fla. [ 8 Answers ]

I think every state or country has a mythological creature that some think my exist. Can you think of any in fla.

Half bat-half man [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find the name of a movie from the 70's... There is a mad scientist on an island who intertwines animal dna with human dna... it's probably cheesy fx with costumed people. I saw it when I was a kid so I was amazed... I know there was a butterfly woman and at the end a half bat-half...

Half of my $ [ 1 Answers ]

Is my soon to be ex entitled to half of my 401k?

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search