Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Sep 27, 2007, 10:34 PM
    Cannot get a cd to play
    Hello. Well every time I pop in a music cd or any kind of cd into my computer, it won't show up and play. I can't find the location of the drive or disk where it's supposed to be located. I open the windows media player, pop in the cd but nothing happens. So I try to open it manually by looking under the names of the drives and in the control panel but it's not there. It's been that way since I defragmented the files, but I'm not sure it caused it. Can someone help??
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Sep 28, 2007, 06:33 AM
    You can open the tray so the drive has power so we know that it's somewhat functional.

Right click on My Computer and select Manage.
    Click on Disk Management.
    On the right do you see a square labeled CD-ROM 0 or something similar?
    If it's there you can right click on it and set/change the drive letter.

If it's not there then check the Device Manager:
    Right click on My Computer and select Properties.
    Click on the Hardware tab then click the Device Manager button.
    Is there anything listed under DVD/CD-ROM drives?
    If there is and it has a red X or yellow ! You might have a driver issue. Check with the manufacturer to see if they have a special driver or try to reinstall it from your Windows CD.

If there is nothing listed there at all either the drive is bad or the cable that connects the drive to the motherboard is loose.

With the power off pop the cover to the case. There should be 2 cables going from the CD drive to the motherboard. One should be wide and thin, the other should be round and skinny. The flat one is for data and the round one is for audio. If they're both snug on the drive and motherboard then your CD drive is most likely having issues and needs to be replaced.

Please let me know if this helps...

Sep 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
    I'll try this, thanks.

Sep 28, 2007, 11:18 PM
    I did what you said, but nothing. I cannot find it listed anywhere. I'll see if I can check the cables.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 02:26 AM
    Did you perhaps delete any drivers?

Sep 30, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Not that I know of. Does defragmenting the files cause this to happen??

Oct 1, 2007, 06:15 AM
    No, defragging shouldn't cause this.
    ComputerGP Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2007, 01:49 AM
    You could try going onto My computer, then clicking on RW-Drive this should then start the CD away. If it doesn't then it is likely that you have accidentally deleted a driver or that your CD RE-WRITER is broken.
    tezford Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 09:54 PM
    Uninstall your cd drive and reinstall it.
    Open my computer right click the cd-drive click properties -hardware-select the cd drive below it you can find troubleshoots click it check if the device is enable if it already set to enable click driver @ the top-below u'll find uninstall click uninstall .
    Now to reinstall go to control panel open add hardware - click next.. it should work now
    But if it d not work try to install the software that came with the PC or your cd drive(look for install drive)or you can try also to install power dvd.

Oct 3, 2007, 11:13 PM
    See the problem is that I don't find the drive name anywhere... I think it's CD drive E or F if I well remember. It was working appropriately with no problems until I defragmented the files. My cd-writer was the one that wasn't working too well. Now it doesn't seem to work at all.

Oct 4, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by METERRE
    See the problem is that i don't find the drive name anywhere....i think it's CD drive E or F if i well remember. It was working appropriately with no problems until i defragmented the files. My cd-writer was the one that wasn't working too well. Now it doesn't seem to work at all.
    The defragging is probably a conincidence. Defrag does not delete files it just reorders them on your hard drive. Pop the cover and check the connections but I'm willing to bet the drive went dead.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 05:54 AM
    Did you recently uninstall any CD burning programs such as Nero or EasyCD Creator?

Oct 7, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Nope, did not uninstall anything. By the way I popped the cover off and everything seems to be connected right except two cables, but I remember one has always been that way, and the other one, I cannot find any place where it might have been or where it can be connected. Although don't remember if that one had also been that way. I'll try and ask my uncle who knows a lot more about that than I do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does anyone play piano? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to this forum Just wondering - does anyone play piano? If u do please tell me cause I have some questions to ask Thanks

Play station 2 [ 1 Answers ]

My play station 2 is not loading my play station 2 games, Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct this problem? It still loads play station 1 games. John

How do you play hard to get? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering... how do you act hard to get? I hate the way I act around this one guy that I'm dating right now. I feel like I have all the time in the world to answer his calls right away and that I show that I'm too available or eager to talk to him. I know for a fact that I do not want...

Do I play his game? [ 5 Answers ]

OK so my ex used me and I have lost alomost all my feelings for him but I would like to get back at him... and apparently I have the chance... I have just started talking to my ex's best mate (well he started texting me now we talk on msn nightly) and he tells me stuff about my ex... like...

I want to play [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I am 24 years old, and my dream has always been to play basketball. I am not sure I am good enough to play in the wnba, and I am not eligible for college basketball because I already have a bachelor degree, and now I am preparing a master degree. I really want to know if there is a way I could...

View more questions Search