Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loydx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2005, 10:57 AM
    Wording and layout of a web site- Please suggest Books.
    Hi.

I'm trying to find a book or some sort of info that will teach me the best way to word a web site.

Also something that will teach me the best way to lay out a web site. E.g. putting links on certain parts of the page and how many etc.

There are some sites that look a lot more professional with a lot of words, some with limited amount depending on what they are trying to sell.

Some have more pictures then others and there wording and colours have
    Are used for the physcological effect when they are looked at.

Would anyone know of any books, sites or anything that would teach me how to do this? Also preferable ones that are written in laymans language not technical mumbo jumbo.

I am really interested in learning the best way of doing this so any help at all would be very much appreciated

Thanks very much for your time and help

Lloydx
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2005, 03:14 AM
    Making websites is not very different than painting a picture.

Or maybe closer to home, designing a billboard advertisement.

So in some ways that question is like saying "I've got the canvas, paint and brushes. Show me what to paint".

So here are some ideas alternative to books:

1. Start compiling a folder of sites you like.
    2. Surf the web for "website design ideas"
    3. Check out this webpage I made. It's a list of a lot of the sites of customers of the Host that I use for my websites. They're all do-it-yourselfers.
    4. Now with some layout and color scheme ideas in mind sit down with your software (what software do you use?), put up a table and start breaking it down to cells for your layout.

Let it flow. Keep trying stuff and tweaking it. Trying some other things and tweak some more.

Do you have a start on your site? If so, post a link to it here.

Once you get started, I'll be happy to help. Also, here are my favorite two web-design forums:

1. Lunarforums
    And
    2. ThePerfectPage
    ... but let me sort of "warn" you in advance: You won't get far asking a question so general as above, but they're great resources for
    1. how do do specific things, and
    2. seeing other web designers sites for ideas for your site.

I do hope this helps!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2005, 03:34 AM
    I doubt you'll find many books on how to word your site. There'll be something on the type of fonts to use etc. but nothing content based - that would be hard to write a book for.

As for the layout, I found the below book quite interesting. It had a few case studies for sites with low, medium and high content. The back pages also contained a number of example designs which help get you thinking. There was also a site of typography which you might find interesting.

I wouild try your local library before buying any suggested books - just in case it's not what you want.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...600149-0067633
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2005, 05:29 AM
    This is too dependent on what you use your site for. But if it's a business site, then books on marketing might help. A Web site should be designed similarly to any other marketing matierials. The only real difference is that you can use "drill down" techniques to all the viewer to get more details if they want to.
    loydx Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2005, 02:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot to everyone for your advice.

I will try putting the ideas of the sites I like into a spread sheet and go from there

The marketing books are also a good idea.

I am trying to learn all this so thanks to everyone, it's a slow process

Lloyd
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2005, 12:48 AM
    Might also be worth taking a look at A List Apart. They have some articles on content there (look under Topics >> Content).
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Nov 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
    Actually SEO will guide you on how to make your site. i.e. lots of words or little words. Although a professional looking site will go a long way with customers, if it isn't done right it will go nowhere with search enginges which bring the customers. It's like building a walmart but having no roads that lead to it. You have to cater to the search engines.

Use Google to fine info on SEO. There are lots of sites out there with tips, guidelines, tricks to get your site to be effective. And if you really want to get a site going fast, look at www.4dollarsites.com.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please suggest a very good email manager [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We are trying to build a website and we have a email group of about 7000. We are trying to expand on that. Can anyone recommend a good email manager with subscribe/unsubscribe features, auto responder, etc and that can handle any number of emails. I would prefer to buy the code and have it...

Basement Circuit Layout [ 9 Answers ]

I'd like to run my circuit layout by everyone for feedback. I am finishing my basement, including a bedroom, bathroom, and a large open room which includes a wetbar, home theater, and kids/craft area. The total finished area is about 775 sq. ft. We have 200 amp service and 3 open breaker slots,...

DWV layout help! [ 7 Answers ]

I am doing the rough-in on a bathroom remodel (trying to save some money). It is actually 2 small bathrooms back to back that share a 2x6 common wall - sink, toilet, shower with the mirror image on the other side. Each fixture will share common venting/drainage with its mirror fixture (sink-sink,...

Suggest News Briefs [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a busy 16-year-old who's involved in academics, extracurriculars, and then some. It's difficult to keep up with news, especially in a time like this, yet I'm continually curious, worried, and wanting to know of current events. When time permits, I'll take my time to read through the newspaper...

View more questions Search