Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Absolutely, but don't ask me why you papist devil worshipper ... that's just what they call it. At least it isn't a double redundancy like "The Los Angeles Angels." :D
    Here's the beer!

Shiner Beers | www.shiner.com

Bobby
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    DC, it's good to see you're on board in this. We have a member here that enjoys calling us haters if you haven't noticed. These people not only lash out hypocritically, it seems to be an orgasmic experience for them.
    I'm sure there are many on the Left who agree with us in regards to this mockery. Don't feel too bad about someone grouping you, we have a couple of members here who attack me personally. :rolleyes:

As the OP puts it:What happened to being polite and respectful?

Sep 29, 2007, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I'm sure there are many on the Left who agree with us in regards to this mockery. Don't feel too bad about someone grouping you, we have a couple of members here who attack me personally. :rolleyes:

As the OP puts it:What happened to being polite and respectful?

DC- Not everyone will agree all the time, but from my perspective you're just as appreciated sharing your view with regular contributions. Although people can be short with one another once in awhile, that's to be expected when discussing politics. This is a good political board.

Bobby
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 06:44 PM
    I have been trying to figure out ever since I heard this on the news
    HOW is the artist being "polite and respectful"?
    Would Muslims tolerate it if an artist did such a thing using their Allah?

Sep 29, 2007, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I have been trying to figure out ever since I heard this on the news
    HOW is the artist being "polite and respectful"?

It's sadistic and irreverent.

Would Muslims tolerate it if an artist did such a thing using their Allah?!

Muslims have issued death threats over cartoons.

Bobby
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 05:17 AM
    Babram
    Precisely!

Christians are expected to accept anything and everything no matter how nasty it is.
    Yet when the same is done to any other group by anybody the very same ones
    Who preach tolerance and diversity get unbelievably offended so very easily.
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 30, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Well, I will say that I don't think all Christians are homophobes, but I think it's disingenous to claim that our criticism of the religious is the same as their criticism of us. First of all, we have proof that we are not harmful to society, they have a 2k year old book that doesn't even make sense.

I saw one poster claim that it's a miracle that Christians haven't stood up to those who hate them. I'd like to point out that in all of the Americas, Europe, large portions of Africa and Asian, and in Australia, Christians are not a marginalized religion. It's so annoying that you try to act like victims when an artist that nobody really pays attention to creates something disparaging. Yet you think it's okay to lump homosexuality in with pedophilia and zoophilia? You have church leaders, who influence the thoughts of millions, claiming that our quest for the equal protection of our rights is an attack on the family, but you still think that some artist is a huge threat?

Seriously, you Christians need to get real. You hold the power, so quit acting the victim. SHAMELESS!!

Sep 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Oh, by the way, I don't hate Christianity itself, or any other religion for that matter, I hate the hypocrisy of Christians, especially evangelical ones who claim they just want to save me. I don't want to be saved by a belief in something that doesn't exist.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by americangayboy
    Oh, by the way, I don't hate Christianity itself, or any other religion for that matter, I hate the hypocrisy of Christians, especially evangelical ones who claim they just want to save me. I don't want to be saved by a belief in something that doesn't exist.
    It's funny, I was raised Southern Baptist, and in most ways still identify with that upbringing, but I do see your point about having others, namely Evangelicals, try to foist their version of their faith onto you.

In my neighborhood we're constantly pestered at home by the 'Born Again's' and the 'Jehovah Witnesses' -- So much so that I had a doormat made that reads 'Born Okay The First Time'.

Sep 30, 2007, 12:11 PM
    I was raised Catholic, and believe it or not, had a great experience in the Church. I just don't believe in a higher power. What I like about the Catholic church is that instead of trying to convert people, it uses its resources to tangibly help people. Evangelism just infuriates me SO MUCH!! How is my believing in a your god going to help me when I'm starving, or have diptheria, or malaria, or AIDS, or when I'm homeless on a cold night?
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 12:16 PM
    I agree americangayboy
    I in no way was implying to single out gays nor any one particular group but rather any and all groups who this Christianity while upholding their own 'rights' whether it be the ACLU, PETA or whatever. It just drives me crazy that 'they' do things like scream separation of church and state---no prayer in school, no this and no that then they go out of their way to accommodate other religions and so forth and don't give equal opportunity to the Christian group. For example airports are making pray rooms and foot baths for Muslims but God forbid that there be a Christian prayer room.

Christian but definitely NOT homophobic
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Well, I will say that I don't think all Christians are homophobes, but I think it's disingenous to claim that our criticism of the religious is the same as their criticism of us. First of all, we have proof that we are not harmful to society, they have a 2k year old book that doesn't even make sense.

I saw one poster claim that it's a miracle that Christians haven't stood up to those who hate them. I'd like to point out that in all of the Americas, Europe, large portions of Africa and Asian, and in Australia, Christians are not a marginalized religion. It's so annoying that you try to act like victims when an artist that nobody really pays attention to creates something disparaging. Yet you think it's okay to lump homosexuality in with pedophilia and zoophilia?! You have church leaders, who influence the thoughts of millions, claiming that our quest for the equal protection of our rights is an attack on the family, but you still think that some artist is a huge threat?

Seriously, you Christians need to get real. You hold the power, so quit acting the victim. SHAMELESS!!!!
    The only thing that I found offensive was that the artist included sadomasochistic sex toys in depicting the last supper... a questionable event... the tendency to derive sexual gratification or general pleasure from inflicting pain, suffering, or humiliation on others. It is however no less acceptable as Gays tied to pedophilia and zoophilia

Sep 30, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Well, airports are (often) private entities that can do whatever they like... if the market asks for foot baths and prayer rooms, there will be foot baths and prayer rooms. I don't see the utility in a prayer room, people can pray out in the open, but hey, ask and you shall receive. Also, I'm sure Christians could use the prayer rooms that they're putting in airports.

The ACLU, for as much crap as it is given, always errs on the side of expanding personal rights. You should be thankful that they're around because they might just help you out one day... look at Sen. Larry Craig.

As for people ganging up on Christians and not others, let me remind you that it was organized prayer that was taken out of schools, not all prayer. As an extreme example: why should a Satanist be forced to engage in a Christian prayer? What if the table was turned and the Christian was being forced to participate in a Black Mass? Even less dramatic, would you as a Christian want your children to be taught that Buddism was the "correct" religion? The best policy is to leave religion where it belongs: in people's personal lives.

I'll agree that Christianity gets a lot of flack, but Christians are often the agressors in arguments. Going back to the gay rights issue, the GLBT community has lobbied congress using research to support it's claims, then the Christians come and scare people into thinking gay marriage will bring the fall of society. They have no evidence for this (except when they intentionally misinterpret correlational studies) and then whine when we call them out on it. To heck with them. If they spread lies about me, I have no problem telling them the truth, something many religious people can't handle and view as an attack.

Sep 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Well, it's art, who cares. It offends you, so don't look at it. It's a bad idea to tell people they can't express themselves just because people are offended by it. How many devout Christians, the type who would be offended by this display, are actually going to this fair and looking at this art? If they are going, it's because people have made such a stink about it and they want to protest it. I have no sympathy for those who are whining about this subject: we live in a free country and it's not Speaker Pelosi's or the governator's place to decide what is and is not too offensive (in fact, I believe it would be unconstitutional for them to pass a law against sex-toys in art).
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 03:01 PM
    Well, it's art, who cares. It offends you, so don't look at it. It's a bad idea to tell people they can't express themselves just because people are offended by it. How many devout Christians, the type who would be offended by this display, are actually going to this fair and looking at this art? If they are going, it's because people have made such a stink about it and they want to protest it. I have no sympathy for those who are whining about this subject: we live in a free country and it's not Speaker Pelosi's or the governator's place to decide what is and is not too offensive (in fact, I believe it would be unconstitutional for them to pass a law against sex-toys in art).
    It is not sex toys, it is the concept, “derive sexual gratification or general pleasure from inflicting pain, and suffering” that offends me and not the object... it should offend any normal person... that is a reflection of a very troubled person. And so it is I don't have to view it to understand the concept.

Sep 30, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Oh, I guess I misunderstood. That's something you'll just have to live with. There will always be people who derive pleasure from others' pain. Others just like the aesthetic aspects of S&M. It's a fact of life that you have no way to control.

Almost forgot: if people didn't make such a big deal about this, you'd have never known. Also, S&M isn't that repugnant... I can think of far worse things than that to offend you.

Sep 30, 2007, 05:30 PM
    It's funny that you mention that. When I was in high school, this group of Christian students came into my place of work (inappropriately I might add) and started asking us, and our customers, if they've been saved by Jesus. When I told them I was Catholic, they got all pissy talking about how I don't worship god BLAH BLAH BLAH. I kicked them out and their leader came in and tried yelling at me for being intolerant... and this was when I was actually Catholic, not just Catholic by default. Oh well, they left after they got it off their chests.

Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    That also depends . There is a bit of a disagreement about which side of the spectrum us Catholics fall under. Normally Catholic advocates generally are not considered " Christian Right". As a matter of fact ;some folks in the so called 'Christian Right' consider us papists devil worshippers.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
    americangayboy
    In reply to your comment to my post:
    That is because you and your friends are not the type that are in the liberal organizations that politicalize everything. You are the 'normal' ones. I hear of many average gay people saying they are sick of how some organizations turn things into a political agenda telling America what their group wants, whether it be gay or whatever, when it isn't necessarly what they want.

Also my rating to you I hit the send button before I was done

N0help4u agrees: That is true. I think the main point of the problem is people any more are taught political correctness to the point they are offended much too easily why do people get offended that someone says Merry Christmas or God Bless you yet they think you should accept 'art' of urine on their cherished religious icons.
    You are right the media draws attention to these things and that is a lot of the problem right there in itself.

Sep 30, 2007, 08:43 PM
    americangayboy
    I hear of many average gay people saying they are sick of how some organizations turn things into a political agenda telling America what their group wants, whether it be gay or whatever, when it isn't necessarly what they want.
    I'm not quite sure I understand this, but if you mean we're sick of being politicized, your damn right! I'm sick of being used as a political tool. We're not trying to hurt anyone's marriage, corrupt their children, destroy society, etc. yet conservatives spin it that way to motivate their base. I really think it's a stretch to say that these politicians actually care about gay marriage when there is no evidence, or probable cause, to suggest allowing gay marriage would hurt society in any way. Also, I don't like it when politicians insincerely support our causes (many talk the talk, but don't walk the walk).

Please let me know if I didn't discuss what you meant. I really am unclear about what you meant.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 1, 2007, 07:23 AM
    DC,

I am curious. What is it that offends you about sadomasochistic sex practices? It's between two concenting adults isn't it? As far as they are concerned, they LIKE the pain. That would be their choice, wouldn't it? What makes that more offensive to you than gay sex?

I am not trying to support either gay sex or sadomasochistic sex. I am just trying to understand what your objection to one, but not the other, is. Aren't they both just examples of different lifestyle choices than the one you have chosen for yourself?

Elliot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Polite way to request privacy. [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are currently expecting our second child. I am due on January 5, but am expecting an early birth at the end of December if my doctor is correct in her assumtions. Last year, my Father in law voiced an urge to come and stay with us over Christmas holiday so he could watch my son...

Has this happened to you? [ 2 Answers ]

I've been honorably coached by some great people on this site. Now that my troubles seem to be coming to an end for this past tragedy I would like to know what you would do in this situation: In the midst of my divorce I found out from my kids that my ex-to-be secretly moved my kids into the...

What happened? [ 5 Answers ]

Please help me and not put me down. I am already there. Our 15 yr. old daughter has been lying so much and become untrusting in the last 6 months. She lies and tells people we beat her daily and she has two children, etc. These are not little white lies here. She now says she is a lesbian (which...

What happened? [ 4 Answers ]

What happened to Valinorsorrow?

Words acceptable in polite society [ 7 Answers ]

Is there an acceptable word for "turd" ? Or have we invented a vulgate word for something that should to have a word to identify it?

View more questions Search