Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 7, 2005, 09:46 PM
    My son just diagnosed with "diabetes 1".feel very upset
    My 15 yr.old healthy son, was suddenly diagnosed with Diabetes 1. I have spent the past 11 days in the hospital with him, and I am feeling very overwhelmed, very shocked, sad, anxious and upset. This happened very suddenly. He was losing weight very fast, every day I noticed that he was looking horrible, many pimples on his face, drinking vast amounts of water, eating a lot all of the time, plus plus plus! When I took him to his G.P. he told me to take him directly to the Emergency at the children's hospital, and that is how it all began, how his life has suddenly changed, etc. It has been very difficult because all of a sudden, my Ex, his Father, is in the picture and it has been very emotional for all. His Father and I have accompanied him to the hospital every day to receive education on how to deal with this through a nurse and dietician and doctor. My son 's life has changed overnight, he now is giving himself 4 injections a day (he is wonderful!), he is learning about how he is going to count carbs, and, and, and... - he is very brave and I am so proud of him - he is handling it strongly; it is me and my Ex - that seem to be trying to deal with this! All of a sudden having to be together... his behaviour has been very "assertive/aggresive/controlling, and it is very difficult - there have been times where I have had to get up and leave the situation to avoid more stress on my son, as my Ex is very argumentative, defiant, angry and now is the time that my son is so fragile, and he should not need to have to witness any of these behaviours :( . My Ex has put me in a difficult position, crying, saying "we should get back together for my son's sake" :eek: !!! I had to leave him - "for my son's sake" (11 years ago!!) - "conjugal violence" ! I would appreciate any information on diabetes and teenagers - is anyone going through this? Also, any advice, comments, etc. appreciated. Thanks.
    drali77 Posts: 127, Reputation: 5

Nov 3, 2005, 10:28 AM
    Hi,
    Below are two links about Diabetes mellitus type 1 and 2
    Go through them you will find all the details about this disease

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic581.htm

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic134.htm

And don't worry everything will be fine

God help those who help themselves
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 11:08 AM
    You're looking at it the wrong way. You now know what was wrong with your son, it's treatable, millions of it live with it daily, lots of support available (groups, websites, knowledgeable doctors, etc.). A 15 year can adjust to this new lifestyle and be very independent - it's what teenagers like to do :) .
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2005, 09:38 PM
    Karma makes a great point. Often when I hear somebody is going in for tests, I say ''I hope they find something treatable''. Support him, help him follow the doctors orders. Deal with your ex as best you can. And never forget, you have supportive friends here.

Nov 7, 2005, 09:56 AM
    I AM "HANGING IN"... YOUR ADVICE, ETC.
    Everyone: thank you - i appreciate your opinions, advice, suggestions, etc... yes i am hanging in, and i am grateful for all that i have in my life - as "IT COULD BE WORSE" (my mantra! :)! ) yes, for instance, so you all can see one of the pictures: a few days ago, my son was giving himself his last injection at llpm, (and i try to be very cool ,casual, and supportive when he uses the syringe, as i know he does not want me bothering him, etc. and as i know it hurts him (he is very courageous, but he has told me that it hurts a lot, compared to the other three injections, which he gives himelf during the day, which are very bearable as he uses a special device called a pen, to inject the insulin and it is much much easier and practically no pain) so, all of my friends:
    visualize this - i would like to share this "PICTURE" with you - i
    Was on the other side of the kitchen at the sink, and i happen to
    Look over, to see jordan using his mouth to give himself the injection with the syringe!! :eek:... okay everyone, i am taking your advice and "HANGING IN" :rolleyes: yes, 15 year old,
    Teenage male... i am having a very difficult time with my son's behaviour, and i am trying to hang in! This "PICTURE" is just one example of many many pictures, that i am hanging in and dealing with everyday! "IT COULD BE WORSE"! ;)
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 10:00 AM
    Just a observation: your overeaction cannot behelping your son. It's diabetes, not cancer or HIV. Millions of people deal with it daily without a hitch. The injections will become very routine for him. But you can't be "freaked out" all the time - that ain't healthy. Being calm, cool, collected is the best thing you can do for him.

Nov 7, 2005, 10:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Just a observation: your overeaction cannot behelping your son. It's diabetes, not cancer or HIV. Millions of people deal with it daily without a hitch. The injections will become very routine for him. But you can't be "freaked out" all the time - that ain't healthy. Being calm, cool, collected is the best thing you can do for him.
    I am open to hearing suggestions advice and opinions from my friends on this site, but these days, i have not been on this site as i am having some very serious emergencies, personal difficulties, traumatic times in my life, aside from my son having diabetes 1... but, i am curious as to your "OBSERVATION" of my "OVEREACTION" and why you said this about me?

Why do you think "I AM FREAKING OUT ALL THE TIME"? Because i wrote that my son is using his mouth to push the insulin into his arm with the syringe? Because i wanted to share this picture on this site with those that are my friends? I would really like to understand your "OBSERVATIONS"..

I totally agree that being calm cool and collected is the best thing that i can do for my son, but, you do not know all that is going on in my life, you do not know anything about me and what i have on my plate, you do not know what is going on in my life, and i do not know if you have any children, or anything about you, but i am trying to do the best that i can in raising my son and dealing with all the other difficulties that i have going on in my life... if my son is giving himself an injection with a syringe, using his mouth, and not his hand... and i get a reply from you telling me not to freak out, and you have absolutely no clue as to the other thousand pictures per day that i am dealing with as my son is very very ill... you do not know any of the details involving his diabetes 1, and the ketons, and his emotional being... yes, maybe millions of people are dealing with it without a hitch, but be aware that there are those that have complications and are not as fortunate as to be able to deal with it without a hitch. Yes he does not have cancer or hiv, and i am not sure if you read what i wrote: that i am grateful, and that it could be worse... so please, be careful of what you write when replying to people like me. I am very very sensitive these days, and i have taken offense to your reply. Perhaps this site is not the place for me to come. Perhaps i should not be coming here to write personal stuff about my life, and so freely ask strangers for their advice opinions and suggestions.
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Well first of all you are writing in all caps which akin to shouting at people on the internet. Second, you never mentioned anything about other events going on in your life, simply this one. Third, I have 2 kids.

Why was he using his mouth instead of his hand?
    And what are "ketons"?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Over react
    Hi,
    I am 63 yrs old, married 28 yrs, helped raise 3 children, all on their own now. I do not have experience with diabetes, but do have experience with other type of health issues.
    My wife went through Chemo and Radiation treatments for lower, back tongue cancer nodules. Thank the Good Lord, she is now "cancer free" after 1 1/2 yrs. I had to retire early to stay home with her 24 hours a day, couldn't afford someone to do that. Last year, 2004, was the year we both found out just how "bad" things can get. She lost half her weight, got to the point she couldn't get up off the couch by herself, I had to help her.
    Now, this year, 2005, things are progressing better, just one day at a time; God has truly blessed us.

My point in writing this is that you will have to accept the fact that your child has an illness. Find out all you can about the illness, and be supportive. Talk at length with his doctor, find out what you can and should not do.
    Other answers here have reflected that. They also point to the fact that millions of people now live with Diabetes, and it's treatable.
    Your son will accept it, and learn how to live better, with his Doctors' help and advice.
    Your ex husband has the problem, not you. Avoid him, avoid talking with him, and just do the best you can. When he comes to visit at a hospital or elsewhere, make yourself "lost". Let him be with your son alone. You don't have to try explaining anything to him.
    Your issues sound like they are more involved with your ex, not your son or his condition. The best thing my wife and I did was to move away (350 miles) from her ex husband. This is the second marriage for us both.
    Leave the visits between your son and your ex strictly between them. If your son wants to see his father, let him; but, you don't have to be there! The more you are involved with your ex, the more you will be upset.
    I do sincerely wish you the best, and remember, you are the one who decides how you feel; no one else.
    salimdost Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2007, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    My 15 yr.old healthy son, was suddenly diagnosed with Diabetes 1. I have spent the past 11 days in the hospital with him, and I am feeling very overwhelmed, very shocked, sad, anxious and upset. This happened very suddenly. He was losing weight very fast, every day I noticed that he was looking horrible, many pimples on his face, drinking vast amounts of water, eating alot all of the time, plus plus plus! When I took him to his G.P. he told me to take him directly to the Emergency at the children's hospital, and that is how it all began, how his life has suddenly changed, etc. It has been very difficult because all of a sudden, my Ex, his Father, is in the picture and it has been very emotional for all. His Father and I have accompanied him to the hospital every day to receive education on how to deal with this through a nurse and dietician and doctor. My son 's life has changed overnight, he now is giving himself 4 injections a day (he is wonderful!), he is learning about how he is going to count carbs, and, and, and........ - he is very brave and I am so proud of him - he is handling it strongly; it is me and my Ex - that seem to be trying to deal with this! All of a sudden having to be together..... his behaviour has been very "assertive/aggresive/controlling, and it is very difficult - there have been times where I have had to get up and leave the situation to avoid more stress on my son, as my Ex is very argumentative, defiant, angry and now is the time that my son is so fragile, and he should not need to have to witness any of these behaviours :( . My Ex has put me in a difficult position, crying, saying "we should get back together for my son's sake" :eek: !!! I had to leave him - "for my son's sake" (11 years ago!!) - "conjugal violence" ! I would appreciate any information on diabetes and teenagers - is anyone going through this? Also, any advice, comments, etc. appreciated. Thanks.
    Hey Violet, I can understand all your frustations, anger, jilted behaviour of your ex. But life must go on. Teach your child to be any different than him. You are very brave but consider this. His dad is trying to come to you - he deserves an honest chance. I am on neithers side. Think a bit but don't think too much. Life is too short to think too much. There's proveb - a saying in Arabic - Life is shorter than death. Why should you have to suffer and carry all the burden. If you think that he is sincere this time, than have a few witnesses in a church or a party gathering and than accept him. I know it's very easy to say than feel. But now, it's a different situation. Before you let your husband go because of your son - healthy of any disease but now it's the same child with disease. I am diabetic too and world went over my head the first time I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. But I had patience - may be I borrowed it from someone - and now I control it with just tablets. In your son's case - who's just 15 and growing - life must be uphill and hard to live by. But you have a choice now - accept his dad for your son's future. You are better judge of yourself and your son so give it a timely thought. It won't hurt you.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
    I have a friend who got type 1 diabetes at a similar age and she is now living an indendent and fulfilling life. Without being told you would never know she has it. Yes sometimes it can be a hassle but properly managed it need not stop him from living however he choses. His life may need a little more planning than the average teenager, but he's at a good age to deal with it.

Also treatments for this are just getting better and better, you now get a much larger range of insulin injections which cause fewer problems than before. It might take him a while to sort out the regeme best for him but he'll get there in the end.

I wish him all best, good luck to you both
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 12:18 PM
    violet0019 disagrees: "You're looking at it the wrong way" - OPINIONATED :(!! So HIS "right way" - IS the right way? This answer is NOT helpful...
    Just wondering... why did you wait 20 months before disagreeing with me?
    kevann754 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2007, 12:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by violet0019
    My 15 yr.old healthy son, was suddenly diagnosed with Diabetes 1. I have spent the past 11 days in the hospital with him, and I am feeling very overwhelmed, very shocked, sad, anxious and upset. This happened very suddenly. He was losing weight very fast, every day I noticed that he was looking horrible, many pimples on his face, drinking vast amounts of water, eating alot all of the time, plus plus plus! When I took him to his G.P. he told me to take him directly to the Emergency at the children's hospital, and that is how it all began, how his life has suddenly changed, etc. It has been very difficult because all of a sudden, my Ex, his Father, is in the picture and it has been very emotional for all. His Father and I have accompanied him to the hospital every day to receive education on how to deal with this through a nurse and dietician and doctor. My son 's life has changed overnight, he now is giving himself 4 injections a day (he is wonderful!), he is learning about how he is going to count carbs, and, and, and........ - he is very brave and I am so proud of him - he is handling it strongly; it is me and my Ex - that seem to be trying to deal with this! All of a sudden having to be together..... his behaviour has been very "assertive/aggresive/controlling, and it is very difficult - there have been times where I have had to get up and leave the situation to avoid more stress on my son, as my Ex is very argumentative, defiant, angry and now is the time that my son is so fragile, and he should not need to have to witness any of these behaviours :( . My Ex has put me in a difficult position, crying, saying "we should get back together for my son's sake" :eek: !!! I had to leave him - "for my son's sake" (11 years ago!!) - "conjugal violence" ! I would appreciate any information on diabetes and teenagers - is anyone going through this? Also, any advice, comments, etc. appreciated. Thanks.
    I don't at all have all of the answers, however, I know that with a sensible diet, and
    Following doctors orders, he should be fine. It is very important to check his blood
    Sugar levels regularly, and ALWAYS keep something around just in case his blood
    Sugar level bottoms out ex: orange juice, snacks, etc. I will keep him in my prayers
    As well. God Bless you and Yours! As far as all the family problems, Just try to hold fast
    To your faith and know that God sometimes uses our health and circumstances, so we
    Will look to him for the answers, and draw us closer to HIM! Read this scripture, and
    Meditate on it, IT WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!! Isaiah 53:5,6
    I WAS addicted to the prescription medication, XANAX for almost 23 years, and I have
    Been clean now for 18 months!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"ED" (Pronounced "Ayed") [ 4 Answers ]

Further comment re Morganite's comment in the initial discussion of the "ED":i.e., "The altar was built on Jordan's West Bank (some say on the East Bank)." I was reading an article recently that stated that archeologists searched for some time on the "East Bank" for the "ED" -- to no avail. ...

View more questions Search