Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    t-man Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Pros & Cons.
    Can someone Please help me with this question: I am considering the nursing field.

Please remember that I am asking as an outsider looking in:

ADVANTAGES
    1) I think this field will continue to grow so job demand should be good.
    2) Flexible schedule (I think)
    3) Opportunities for travel (I think)

DISADVANTAGES
    1) Working on your feet? (might not be true)
    2) A lot of Stress? (I don't know but I think this might be true).

Also... I am a Male... so I wonder how this would affect me as well?

Please chime in with your responses... Thanks very much!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 06:40 AM
    From your name I am assuming you are a man if so, men in the nursing field are highly sought after. At least that is what one of the largest schools in my area is telling my son, that is a senoir in high school. Also I have noticed that more and more male nurses are in the offices that my family has been visiting in the past months. Another thing to consider is do you have the desire to help people. I think this would be your first criteria in deciding on this career.

Sep 27, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Thanks Bush...

Anyone Else?

~T
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Wait for J-9 to log on. She is our nursing expert and she can easily fill out this list :)

Best of luck to you!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Thank you Tuscany I sure will try.

T-man, I am a second level nursing student and will be graduating in May.

Advantages are all 3 to be exact. The field will definitely continue to grow, the schedules (at most hospitals) are flexible, and if you want to be a travel nurse, well then, you sure have an opportunity to travel.

Disadvantages are again pretty much being on your feet, as well as stress. But you must take into consideration malpractice. Yes, nurses have to have malpractice insurance like doctors, and we also get sued just like doctors. There is also a pretty high burn out rate.

You are a male... GOOD FOR YOU!! We need male nurses big time! My school accepts all men that apply since the need is so great.

Now, a question for you. Do you plan on being an RN, LPN, or CNA. There are huge differences.

Oct 3, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Thanks J_9

I was looking at the RN. I have a BSc. Degree in business... so I would need about 3 yrs to complete the program including the pre-requisit classes (in my state of fla).

There's no doubt that the opportunities in Nursing are great... but just like anything else in life... there's a price to pay.

I am just trying to figure out... if Nursing is for me.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
    I am also taking the RN and it has taken me 4 years (basically because I went part-time during most of my pre-requisites), the program once you are in is only a 2 year program.

Now, is it for you? That is a question only you can truly answer. Understand that the majority of RNs work in the hospital setting, not in doctor's offices. You will be giving up nights/weekends/holidays, that is just part of the price to pay.

Nursing is pretty much a calling, not just another job. If you don't feel the calling then you may need to look elsewhere.

Now, another side to nursing, once you receive your BSN, and I always suggest starting with your ASN and working toward more degrees step-by-step, then you can go into management, legal, research, etc. So, it's not ALWAYS just working in a hospital and with patients.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Why do you want to go into nursing? What is it that sounds fulfilling to you? Do you like working weekends, holidays, shift rotations, having to continue nursing education for licensing? Lots to think about. Good luck with your decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding a child back, pros and cons [ 56 Answers ]

Hello. I need some advice from those who have been there - done that or not done that. Here is my situation. My daughter is 6 years old and is in the first grade. She has a summer birthday and so she is a very young first grader. She made our cut off by 2 weeks when she started...

Teacher Uniforms Pros and Cons [ 8 Answers ]

I would like for the teachers at our school to wear uniforms. I'm not as concerned about students wearing uniforms because that is whole another topic. I want to know if anyone knows of a school that has uniforms for the teachers to wear? If so, how is that working and what are the pros and...

DirecTv Pros and Cons [ 5 Answers ]

I switched from Dishnetwork who I was a customer with for almost 4 years to DirecTv a few months ago. I was fed up with the constant technical problems from DishNet and they didn't want to fix anything. I like DirecTv so far because they own the equipment so if anything breaks, then they are...

Pros/cons of diet pills [ 2 Answers ]

There are so many different kinds of diet pills out there. I want to loose wieght, but want to do it safely and effectivley. Do diet pills really work, are they dangerous, and are there any side-effects? What pills should I avoid, and which ones really work?

Lexapro Pros & Cons [ 2 Answers ]

I just started on Lexicon yesterday and am interested in hearing other user's comments concerning any/all side effects and are they worth living with. Thanks f:confused: or any/all feedback

View more questions Search