Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:14 PM
    Setting up cisco TFTP server
    I have been trying to setup a cisco tftp server on my PC to connect to the cisco router so that I can backup the IOS config file. The tftp server gives me an IP address that I should use but when I enter that IP address on the cisco router, I get an error.

Is there a procedure I should follow to setup the tftp server or to configure a more commands on the cisco router?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Sep 30, 2007, 05:31 AM
    You can use the poor man's approach to saving the config of any cisco router by issuing a "show running" and then copy the entire buffer (cut/paste). What you see on the screen is the config. That should hold you over until you figure out the tftp.

Now... what tftp software are you using? I perfonally use Linux's tftp services to upload/download configs/images to/from my Cisco devices but you can certainly use Windows. Solarwinds makes a free full-feature tftp server that is simple to use that works that you may want to give a try.

Things normally to look out for in tftp servers is whether your server is configured to allow downloads/uploads. Sometimes one or the other is not allowed by default.

Casey
    tbakry Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2007, 06:11 PM
    The TFTP server should just be a process running on your machine. The IP address SHOULD be your machine's IP address. If you are using one of Mr. Bill's operating systems (Windows) you should go to the computer where you installed the TFTP server and run IPCONFIG at a command prompt. The IP address shown should be the address for you to be using with the router.

Cheers,

Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make Cleints server from Main server? [ 3 Answers ]

I am having Internet connection at one computer and I want to share the internet with other computers. Will that is possible the same connection is used with other 4 to 5 computers or at least one computer.

Setting up DSL with router and Cisco IP phone? [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, I need help. I currently have DSL at my house but now my boss is sending home a router and a Cisco IP phone and I am not sure how to hook it up. They tried to explain but I do better with graphs or detailed explanations as to what specific wire goes to what jack. Can anyone help me? Here...

Can anyone help on Cisco IOS 12.1 ? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, By accident while I was configuring my Cisco router I've deleted the OS, just doing a simple save like : copy run start, and I didn't look at the message, and I pressed Enter, and he deleted the IOS, does any one have a copy from the Cisco IOS 12.1 or higher ? I've a Cisco 800...

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

View more questions Search