Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miamikk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 06:23 PM
    Lots of leaks in Roof -> what's the best solution
    I bought this house last year May(2006). Last hurricane season passed without anyproblems and leaks anywhere in the house. But this season I have a lot of leak spots all around the house. The leaks started during the windy rains about 2 months back and I noticed all the spots are small and I didn't really care a lot hoping I will get it fixed soon. But the last 3 days continues rain has created a huge mess and one of the room had the sheet rock fall down. I cut and removed most of wet sheetrock in the room and there is a hole of about 3'-1' x 5'-6' in the room.

I have uploaded some of the pictures here: Roof Pictures

I have called couple of local roofing people (from Craigslist) and they are scheduled for tomorrow. I am a newbe for all this house maintanence and repairs. I have been this country for only about 6 years and we don't have these kind of roofs back home.

I would like to know what's the best solution at this point. Just repair the leaks ? Or the whole roof needs to be replaced ? Will Insurance cover anything if I have to replace whole roof ? I have insurance from Citizens. My premium is about $4K with about $4.1K (2%) hurricane deductible.

The house is about 2600-2800 Sqft including garage. The house is built in 1977.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:48 PM
    HI,
    From your post I would say yes,you might want to replace the entire roof,being you have so many areas with moisture showing up.

This could be that its age is to the point of break-down(mastic and membrane begin to get dry in the sun)

A shingle in the low pitch that your home is(4/12 or so) will be subject to more possible water retention due to the lack of pitch.

Also being that you are in the south(palm trees in your pics) heat plays a big part in break-down too.
    Make sure you get enough venting for the extreme heat!
    This will help your new roof last a lot longer.

Hope this helps,
    Ken

PS If these stains are all in the center of the building it could be just the ridge vent,they are faulty to a point and are easily remedied.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:59 PM
    RIGHT ON (KBC) Good job on explaing his roof problem, hope his Ins. Co helps. He needs to talk to them before anything is done. Ins. Co don't like you to start repairs then call them;;

Sep 26, 2007, 07:35 PM
    I live in Miami.
    I will give a call for insurance company and see what they say. Does anyone know if Insurance company actually pays at least a part of replacement cost ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 07:56 PM
    IF it is damages from storms. From what I can make out from what you are saying, it sounds like you have roof damaghe caused by hail . The ins. Adjuster can look at the roof and tell. The ins. co. s I have delt with have a preset amount s for different things ,I!VE had them to cover full cost and sometimes only half or just a little .; TO tell you the truth talk to him and get as much as you can, a lot of the time they offer a low amount and hope you will take it.If you think they have ,( say hey that's not a fair amount the cost of material & labor is a lot higher then that. WISH you luck .IF my answers have helped ,rate them below, also rate ( KBC)

Sep 26, 2007, 08:03 PM
    I am not sure but I think we rarely have hails during stroms in Miami, Florida . What do I say when I call Insurance company ?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    IF it is damages from storms. from what I can make out from what you are saying, it sounds like you have roof damaghe caused by hail . the ins. adjuster can look at the roof and tell. the ins. co. s I have delt with have a preset amount s for different things ,I!VE had them to cover full cost and sometimes only half or just a little .; TO tell you the truth talk to him and get as much as you can, alot of the time they offer a low amount and hope you will take it.If you think they have ,( say hey thats not a fair amount the cost of material & labor is a lot higher then that. WISH you luck .IF my answers have helped ,rate them below, also rate ( KBC)
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Gave you the best answers I could ,about the Questions you asked about your roof problem, and the Insurance Questions. F.B.E.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2007, 09:31 AM
    I have had a lot of roofer friends and a couple roofer boyfriends in my life and they all said when a roof is that bad you have to replace the whole thing. You will only have a more costly mess if you only patch the bad areas.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
    Nohelp4u- Right ON ,You are so right ,he needs to replace the whole roof . I just hope the Ins . Co helps him. ( Miamikk)- Hail is always a part of a TORNADO, AND Florida has a lot of them.
    Relaxat41 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 06:57 PM
    How to get rid of mildew under your house.

Oct 22, 2007, 06:59 PM
    My house is built over dirt meaning I have crawl spaces to go under the house. I believe that the dirt has mold and mildew in it, and I don't know how to kill the smell. Any suggestion? I've tried bleech.

Oct 22, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by miamikk
    I bought this house last year May(2006). Last hurricane season passed without anyproblems and leaks anywhere in the house. But this season I have a lot of leak spots all around the house. The leaks started during the windy rains about 2 months back and I noticed all the spots are small and I didnt really care a lot hoping I will get it fixed soon. But the last 3 days continues rain has created a huge mess and one of the room had the sheet rock fall down. I cut and removed most of wet sheetrock in the room and there is a hole of about 3'-1' x 5'-6' in the room.

I have uploaded some of the pictures here: Roof Pictures

I have called couple of local roofing people (from Craigslist) and they are scheduled for tomorrow. I am a newbe for all this house maintanence and repairs. I have been this country for only about 6 years and we don't have these kind of roofs back home.

I would like to know whats the best solution at this point. Just repair the leaks ? or the whole roof needs to be replaced ? Will Insurance cover anything if I have to replace whole roof ? I have insurance from Citizens. My premium is about $4K with about $4.1K (2%) hurricane deductible.

The house is about 2600-2800 Sqft including garage. The house is built in 1977.

I would appreciate any suggestions.
    What type of roof do you have? Is it shingle or metal?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Sounds like it's time for a new roof.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help with roof leaks! [ 11 Answers ]

I have water coming through by my chimney and at least one other vent; I've read that and on inspecting from above and below that the problem is lack of or repair needed of the flashing around these areas. However, I am a novice to do it yourself repair, even though am capable of doing certain...

Sun roof vs moon roof [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a moon roof and a sun roof?

How can I convert this shed roof to a gable roof? [ 5 Answers ]

I want to extend this porch out another 8 feet and convert the current shed roof to a gable roof. Is there a framing genius lurking here who can tell me how to make it happen? The conceptual image gives an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish with the porch. See attachments. Michael

Lots of problems! [ 2 Answers ]

The past few days when we flush our toilet it does not always flush, instead it sits there and begins to leak from under the toilet. It only seems to happen if we have recently used the shower though. When it does finally flush there is a loud gurgling noise in my bathroom sink and shower. Also,...

Lots of questions [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you

View more questions Search