Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mwilliams15 Posts: 172, Reputation: 24

Sep 26, 2007, 02:49 PM
    How to become a nurse practitioner
    I've been back and forth lately about what I want to do with my life. I'm considering switching my major to nursing, but I only want to do nursing if I am able to continue to be a nurse practitoner. My question is.. how do you go about becoming a nurse practitioner? What does it involve and how difficult is it? Do you go through the regular nursing program then find a school that has programs for nurses to specialize in certain programs to be a nurse practitioner? What I'm REALLY interested in right now is either neonatal or pediatrics- I've always had a love for babies and kids lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
    You would have to become a registered nurse then continue to educate yourself and work your way up to become a nurse practitioner. You would have to gain hands on experience and work in the field.

Its requires a lot of work and several years of education. NP's are only one step below an actual physician. They can prescribe drugs, evaluate patients, some even run their own clinics. At minimum, you would need a master's degree
    NP info
    OnYxHaWk Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Jan 7, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilliams15
    I've been back and forth lately about what I want to do with my life. I'm considering switching my major to nursing, but I only want to do nursing if I am able to continue to be a nurse practitoner. My question is.. how do you go about becoming a nurse practitioner? What does it involve and how difficult is it? Do you go through the regular nursing program then find a school that has programs for nurses to specialize in certain programs to be a nurse practitioner? What I'm REALLY interested in right now is either neonatal or pediatrics- I've always had a love for babies and kids lol. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Looking at your profile, it seems like you are already in college. You are on the right track.

Nursing at your college will probably earn you a bachelors degree in nursing (BSN), and you can practice and make a very good living with just the BSN. You are termed a registered nurse after you pass the certification exam.

A nurse practitioner requires a few more years of study after obtaining a BSN. Usually 2-3 years (some NP programs require clinical experience to be eligible for application), and it is currently a masters level degree. Though I see it becoming a doctorate level degree in the next few years (much like pharmacy has become a doctorate level degree - PharmD). After completing your training, you can subspecialize in pediatrics, or neonatology (caring kids or infants respectively).

Hope this helps.
    mosbybala Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 03:34 AM

I finished m.sc,nursing how can I apply for nurse practitioner,
    mosbybala Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 03:35 AM

I am a nurse how can I become a nurse practitioner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too SQUEAMISH to be a nurse? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently took a job as an OB Tech in my local hospital. I have always been extremely interested in the field of Labor and Delivery , and have been considering becoming an OB nurse. I have done very well in all aspects of this job so far- and performed my duties well. Errrr, that is , until they...

3 mo old still trying to nurse [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am hoping that somebody can help me. I recently rescued a 2 month old kitten from the pound. I don’t know if he was orphaned, or how long he spent with his mom (but he did have brothers at the pound). He tries to nurse on me (my arm, neck, back), and he tries to nurse from a really...

An ob nurse [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have a questuin I want to be an ob nurse watching csections and stuff doesn't really bother me but I was wonfering do you have to actually preform any part of the csection or do you just hand the doc whatever they need? And this might sound weird but I seen a lot of c section videos...

Negligent Nurse [ 2 Answers ]

I recently called my physician's office and asked that my prescriptions be renewed. My phsycian's nurse called my pharmacy and renewed my medications for three months. My pharmacy emailed me and I picked up a month's supply of my medications. Two days after I had picked up my meds I was in the...

General practitioner or Family practitioner? [ 1 Answers ]

I am planning to do a general check up for me .I want to do a blood test,urine test and all tests they do on a yearly basis.I have never done a blood test so far.I am 27.I went to a gynec for my reproductive health check up.To which doctor should I go for a general check up - a general practitioner...

View more questions Search