Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Sep 26, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Information online banking
    Hello
    Just a quick question if you sign up for online banking how safe is it? My bank says it would be eaiser for me to do banking online and pay my bills since it so hard for me to get around I quess I just wonder about safety I worry someone would get my information
    Any thoughts?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 11:12 AM
    I've been using online banking for close to 20 years now. Even before the WEB when I dialed directly into my bank via a dialup modem. I have been very happy with it and have never had any major instances of lost money, identity theft etc. The convenience is fantastic.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:12 AM
    I can't imagine living without it. I bank from home and from work. In my esteemed opinion it's safe. As with any security/privacy related application make sure you protect your computer with good antivirus and anti-malware applications so that nothing gets installed that gathers your keystrokes (that's the only danger I see). I have had no issues with security at all.

Sep 26, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Thanks ScottGem and NeedKarma

I will sign up for it. This may sound dumb but how does it work as far as paying your bills ?
    Can you see the transactions as you do them and do you have to notify say your phone company that you will be paying on line? I am from the old school and computers are still somewhat new to me when it comes to things like that
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:36 AM
    There should be an area on the website where you select the companies which will accept online payments. Then you have to enter your account number for each company/payee. My service remmebers all that info so that I just have to select the payee from a drop-down box.

Sep 26, 2007, 11:40 AM
    This depends on your bank. With my bank, they have a list of merchants (its a very extensive list). You find your merchant on the list and set up a payee account. Generally if the merchant is on the list, they make the payment using EFT (electronic funds transfer), so the merchant receives the payment within 2 business days. If the merchant is not listed, you can manually set up an account for them and the bank will mail them a check.

So, no you don't need to notify the merchants at all. Since I get paid twice a month, I sit down just before payday (I have Direct Deposit) and pay all the bills coming due during that half of the month. I schedule the payments over the half month period, giving 2 business days for EFT and 7 calendar days for check payments. Some of my payments go to accounts with the same bank, (loans, credit cards), those I set up as transfer and can schedule for the date due. I then printout a listing of the scheduled payments and transfers and enter them into Quicken. You might be able to do a download directly into Quicken or Microsoft Money if you use them.

Sep 26, 2007, 12:08 PM
    OK thanks for the good information. I have one more question I have two accounts one for paying bills and one for spending can these accounts be linked so I can see them online
    At the same time?
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
    All your accounts should show up online.

Sep 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Again this depends on the services offered. But generally, yes you can have all the accounts you hold with that institution linked. I have about 8 or 9.

Sep 26, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Thanks for all the helpful information! I feel better about banking online now You guys are great with information!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banking [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My husband to be. Is having a problem with getting a bank account . And we have paid the collection agency that we needed to pay . But it takes 30 to 90 days to fix. But we need the money now . I was wondering if he could sign th check over to me and I deposit it in my account. While the bank...

How is an APY different than an APR? Anyone tried the Online Direct Banking accounts? [ 1 Answers ]

How is an APY different than an APR. I am getting a 5% APY on savings on an online account. Is there a better option for me where I will need the cash in the near future. I have approx. 7K saved in the savings account with a 5% APY.

Banking information [ 2 Answers ]

Does the bnak have a responsibility to let a debtor know his account is frozen seems to me if that customer has been banking with the bank for a very long time someone would let that person know and again I do not understand how a creditor gets your banking information I thought banks would be...

Banking information [ 6 Answers ]

Can any one tell me the process of a creditor taking your banking account I know a judgement has to awarded but why does the bank give out your information? How do they know where you bank at I am so confused!

View more questions Search