Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lstagi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Rewiring second phone line to connect to main line.
    I have two separate phone lines in home.. main line and second line in bedroom #2. I am cancelling my second line number as I will be using DSL in that room where computer is at. Phone company said I could rewire jack in bedroom #2 to connect to main line and could do this myself, but need some advice how to do it. Computer now on dial up so need to do this ASAP before line #2 is dropped... help!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Labman's right, red and green are line 1, and yellow and black are line 2. Red and yellow ,
    are Negative Voltage, and green and black are Positive, about 48 volts.
    You could have unshielded twisted pair(UTP),
    white/blue and blue/white pair is line 1, orange pair-line2, green pair, and brown pair.
    On phone jack, white/blue to green, blue/white to red, white/orange to black, and orange/white to yellow.
    If you have red, black, green, and yellow, connect red to yellow, and black to green.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 09:51 AM
    If I understand things correctly, if you plug in a standard phone in the room with line #2, it will work on line #2? If this is true then the following works otherwise the procedure needs a little modification.

What you can do temporarily is to disconnect line #2 at the NID (the box outside) and run a jumper from line #1 to line #2. Use the filters provided for all phones but the jack connected to the DSL modem.

Unplug the modular connector and determine which line is line #2 by checking for of the abcesnce dial tone on line 2. Transfer these wires to the same red and green posts on the other module (line #1).

A better solution would be to install a DSL filter in the NID DSL LPF200 Main House Dial Tone Filter

And wire the DSL portion to what was line #2. Internet speeds can be better and you can remove all of the filters from the other line. The module does come with instructions. Since your getting DSL ask the phone company if they could install a DSL filter. I was told that after I did it that they would do it for free. While they are at it, ask them to install a blank (no-components) module in the NID. This will also improve DSL.

The module comes with instructions and they are not available on the web. The module needs to fit the model of the NID that you have. This Bunch Block Alcoa DSL 1C1 Bunch Block Module supposedly makes it easier to do the installation.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:25 PM
    At your phone box outside, you have 4 wires on 4 post? You will have to remove 2 wires and hook up with other 2 wires. Draw picture of connections first. If you have a cordless phone, remove 1 wire at outside box if you loose dial tone or connection, that is one wire,
    Identify and reconnect, disconnect and replace wires one by one, until you find other wire that is line 2. those 2 wires need to go with other 2. Any problems, refer to your drawing.
    You will need DSL filter in bedroom.
    You may have newer phone box with a little unusual connection?
    Deepa Nair Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lstagi
    I have two separate phone lines in home..main line and second line in bedroom #2. I am cancelling my second line number as I will be using DSL in that room where computer is at. Phone company said I could rewire jack in bedroom #2 to connect to main line and could do this myself, but need some advice how to do it. Computer now on dial up so need to do this ASAP before line #2 is dropped...help!!
    How do I rewire a phone line in a bedroom to have the same phone number as the main line?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Check all the junction boxes. See if you can find where the bedroom's red-green are connected to the incoming black-yellow. Swap them to the red-green.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 07:53 PM
    You may be able to buy a triple tap. It plugs into wall, has line 1 out, line 2 out, line 1 and 2 out/in? You may need to plug into line 2 out, if you plug in now and it doesn't work.
    Rbrtman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2009, 01:04 PM
    (QUOTE) after searching for an hour I found this site and found your answer :)thank you! It took me 10 minutes and saved me ( $190.00 )
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    If I understand things correctly, if you plug in a standard phone in the room with line #2, it will work on line #2? If this is true then the following works otherwise the procedure needs a little modification.

What you can do temporarily is to disconnect line #2 at the NID (the box outside) and run a jumper from line #1 to line #2. Use the filters provided for all phones but the jack connected to the DSL modem.

Unplug the modular connector and determine which line is line #2 by checking for of the abcesnce dial tone on line 2. Transfer these wires to the same red and green posts on the other module (line #1).

A better solution would be to install a DSL filter in the NID DSL LPF200 Main House Dial Tone Filter

and wire the DSL portion to what was line #2. Internet speeds can be better and you can remove all of the filters from the other line. The module does come with instructions. Since your getting DSL ask the phone company if they could install a DSL filter. I was told that after I did it that they would do it for free. While they are at it, ask them to install a blank (no-components) module in the NID. This will also improve DSL.

The module comes with instructions and they are not available on the web. The module needs to fit the model of the NID that you have. This Bunch Block Alcoa DSL 1C1 Bunch Block Module supposedly makes it easier to do the installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring to make a single phone line [ 5 Answers ]

Presently I have two phone lines, my main one and a line for my computer. They are in two separate boxes outside. I would like to remove the additional line but don't want to pay the $85 or more to have a phone guy fix it up. I would just like all the phone lines to be for the primary line. If...

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

Rewire second phone line to main [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a second phone line for my computer, I am dropping the second line and getting DSL. How do I rewire that second line to my main line? Thank you.

View more questions Search