Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bc8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 03:16 AM
    Radiators heat when only Hot water on
    I have a newly installed Mains Pressure Hot Water Cylinder. When I turn on the hot water only; after about 15 minutes some radiators begin to heat.

The plumber says this is backwash and I should turn the hot water off after 15 minures to solve the problem.

I think in a new, modern system, this problem should not occur and the plimber is trying to fob me off!

Does anybody know if this is a 'feature' or a 'problem'? If it is a problem, then what is causing it and how can it be fixed?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 6, 2005, 07:29 AM
    There may be a language barrier here. I am having trouble understanding your system. A ''Mains Pressure Hot Water Cylinder'' is not a common American term. No system that I am familiar with would cause the radiators to heat when you used hot water at a sink. If I understand the problem, I think the system is installed wrong. Please describe your system and the problem a little more.
    bc8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2005, 12:38 AM
    America and Ireland, "Two nations seperated by a common language". I think the system may also be known as an 'Unvented Storage Water Cylinder'. Does this make more sense?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2005, 06:04 AM
    I still need more information. I am picturing a system where water is fed into the cylinder by water from the water main. 15 minutes after you turn the heat on to the cylinder, you start getting heat out of the radiators. Do you also have a pump that recalculates water through the radiators? Should it be controlled by a thermostat? In not, can you shut the pump off, or the water to the radiators?

There are several different ways heating systems can be made to work. Surely yours doesn't have water continuously flowing from the mains through the radiators and then down the drain or something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Radiators not working properly [ 7 Answers ]

I hope someone can please help. We have had problems with our heating system (2 years old) for the past 2 months and have had the people who installed it working to repair it. First the boiler stopped working properly. After a new pump, heat exchanger and circuit board were fitted, the boiler...

Old radiators + new boiler are boiling us alive [ 6 Answers ]

Help! We recently installed a new boiler and pump in our 77-year-old home. The water pressure is great, but too much for our old boilers. They are incredibly hot and can't be turned off. Our plumber has been searching for new valves to fit to the old radiators, but without luck. Any ideas?

Water htr/heat traps/pipe config. [ 2 Answers ]

Some time back I installed a new water heater and it had the factory installed heat traps. The instructions say you MAY have to install one or more 90° elbows in order to make a “U” configuration in the supply pipes. It also shows the pipes running vertically from the heater. I’ve read on various...

KickSpace Hot Water Heat [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend a KickSpace Hot Water Heater. Thanks Bobby

Filling the radiators + high pressure in hot water system... => ? [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, new house to my wife and I... we've had it less than a month and two days ago it was time to turn the heat on. This is an old hot water system, no pump (works by gravity) in a three story house. The radiator in the master bathroom wasn't full, so I tried to bleed it. Just a little air...

View more questions Search