Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FH Dad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Can landlord require tentant to "front" money for repairs?
    Can a landlord require tenants to pay for repairs required to a rented home? The landlord promises to repay tenant, but tenant would rather not be a credit facility for the landlord. A few specifics:
    • I'm the tenant and rent a detached house in New York City
    • The landlord lives in France
    • Repairs were required to plumbing in the basement. Cause was old, corroded pipes.
    • Lease is fixed term (not month-to-month)
    • Cost of repairs is about $900
    • Landlord refuses to find plumber or deal with managing repairs

In summary, I'm annoyed that I have to deal with getting the repairs done, paying for them out of my pocket and waiting for the landlord's reimbursement. Can I charge the landlord interest for this loan? Can I take it out of the rent?

Appreciate your help and recommendations!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Typically it is the landlords responsibility to pay for any costs of repairs. Landlords cannot ask you to pay for repairs.

I've had repairs done to the house when the landlord refused to make said repairs and I told her I would independently hire someone and since she refused the cost would come out of the rent. I would then send her a certified letter stating same and asking her to sign a copy and return it to me so I would have on record that she agreed to the amount being deducted from the rent.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 08:25 AM
    I would be a little more understanding of an absentee landlord. Do what Glinda said. Get an estimate for the job, Fax or e-mail the estimate to the landlord adding on a small fee (no more than 10%) for your work in contracting for the job. Include in the package a statement for the landlord to sign agreeing that the amount of the invoice, including your fee, can be deducted from the rental.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song that goes like this."money money money, money?" [ 5 Answers ]

Do you know the artists name?

What artist sings "money money money" [ 5 Answers ]

I can't find the song "money money money" listed anywhere.(I think that's what the title is) I don't know the artist.

Can Landlord require rentor to pay for repairs to HVAC? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a friend who was given a Lease for the rent of a house that stated the Lessee shall be responsible for all repairs to the dwelling including HVAC, Plumbing, etc. Is this even legal (state of Alabama). I used to manage over 150 units of rental properties years ago so I am out of the loop....

Timely return of deposit for a place I never moved in after the "landlord" canceled [ 5 Answers ]

Advise please, I signed a roomate/houseguest agreement with the owner of condo in NW Washington DC for $825 per month. I gave a deposit of $825 cash. The "landlord" canceled my occupancy because she had a family issue and said she could no longer rent me the room. She agreed to refund my deposit...

View more questions Search