Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Garnishment, supposedly no bank accounts or job
    I won a small claims case but have only received $50 in almost 4 months. I know people say it's hard to collect but I have a $1,600 flooring bill I'm trying to pay off. I've got a 5-month-old and I can't afford to shrug my shoulders and write this off.

The debtor claims to not have any bank accounts(savings or checking) and also claims to be on unemployment. I don't believe any of this to be true. I know that if you do not have an account with them, most banks will not cash your check or they'll charge a fee to cash it. This person is money hungry and I highly doubt that they would let money get taken out of their check every week rather than open an account and just deposit the money.

I know if they have a job, I can file a garnishment with their employer. If they don't have a job but I somehow found out that they DO have an account, how would I go about garnishing it? Would I need the account number? Under the Privacy Act, the bank won't be able to give me her information so I wouldn't know how to obtain it. I know I can file a contempt of court because they lied on the financial disclosure but they'd probably just close the account if I filed.

Does anyone have any advice? I've tried offering a payment plan that was well beyond reasonable for the debtor; they declined to sign it. I looked into property repossession and was told it's not worth it to try. I'm at my wits end!! :(
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 08:55 AM
    There are companies that buy judgments. Do a online search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I had an attorney garnish my joint bank account, taking all of the money out, due to a Judgement. My husband is not on the judgement and the money in the account was his. I am a commissioned employee and have not received a check in over a month. His money is used for utilities, food, and small...

Bank Garnishment [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all. I have a major issue here, I guess everyone's issue here is pretty major. My bank account was garnished today for an amount of $15925. I had a judgement for a few student loans that are all confusing in April. I received the paperwork in after April 17th stating the judgement but only...

Bank garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

How do I stop bank garnishment once it starts

Bank garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I had a judgement against me for a credit card debt I missed 2 payments and now they seized my bank account is that legal. They did't send me a notice that I missed 2.

How to stop a garnishment of my accounts in fla. [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida today my business account was frozen along with my personal checking accounts and savings by a collection agency for UPS shipping invoices that are not mine. please help me billy

View more questions Search