Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Sep 27, 2007, 01:38 PM
    I'm brand new to this site so I have to learn how to do the rating stuff.

Is it possible to rate each thread?

I've been coming to this site for years and could never even take a look at old answers.

I didn't even realize I was already signed up until I tried to sign up about 4 weeks ago.

I bought this recent printer used from someone at Ebay for about $25 together with shipping. I bought it because it's just like the one that broke. The one that broke was always on orange light. I've had that one for several years. Now that I know that the colors have meaning, I notice that to me the orange light mean it was ready.

This printer's orange light always stays on if there is no paper in the paper tray. Since these printers have a defect in that you can only use one sheet of paper at a time, I never keep any paper in the paper tray. So the orange light is always staring at me. After many years of the orange light staring at me, to me it is normal (the ready light).

After you posted information about the manual and learned that the lights had meaning, I realized the orange light was an error light and not a ready light. HOORAY FOR YOU!!

I have never seen a manual for this printer. I learn from intuition. I think machines talk to us. We just have to learn to listen and understand what they are saying to us.

I learned how to use the printer and how to do a test page, etc without reading a manual. Sort of how kids learn nowadays.

THANKS FOR TEACHING ME HOW TO USE AND READ A MANUAL. I DOWNLOADED IT INTO MY COMPUTER.

YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS WHAT HELPED ME!!

OK. Now I'm going to go figure out how to do the ratings part. THANKS A MILLION!

Sep 27, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I had no clue I had the opportunity to rate the answers at this site.

It looks like it won't let me go back and rate each of the threads.

It says, you must spread some reputation around
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 01:46 PM
    You can rate each post.

There is a paper path switch on this printer. There may not be a defect at all.

There were links to two manuals. The service and owners.

Sep 27, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Since attempting to fix this current printer, I learned that they have a defect--they have a tendency to feed more than one sheet at a time. My former printer did that and this one does the same thing. You cannot put more than one sheet of paper in the paper tray because it will feed both of them through EVERY TIME. A stack of paper does me no good anyway because I normally print on both sides of the paper. It looks like free kits were available at one time to fix this defect. I think they are still available but not free. I think it is the rollers that is the problem.

I have had trouble looking at the second manual. I will have to keep trying. They have an icon that allows it to be copied directly to the hard drive but it seems like it's either stuck or it's too slow. I don't know which. I'm going to go try it again and just leave my computer on to see if it will download it to my computer.

I am going to keep going back to see if I can rate each of the threads. Thanks for letting me know I can do this.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Paper has a curl and might even be labeled "print this side first". Look carefully on the wrapper. So, it matters.

Static and humidity can affect paper performance too.

There might be a part called a "paper separator". I didn't re-read the service manual.

Stacks are still OK, because there is something called manual duplexing where you check the right options and print on side A odd pages and then the driver tells you to insert the stack in the paper tray upside down and the driver prints side B the even pages.

If your loading the .pdf document within your browser after it loads Adobe has an option to "Save a copy". Not having enough real memory in your computer could compromise the ability to load the document.

This entire discussion is a thread. Each comment is a post. You may only be able to comment once per poster per thread and that's why your being told to spread it around.

Sep 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
    After having such a difficult time downloading the service manual, I finally had success.

I just tried it again and this time it only took a split second to copy to my desktop.

Oh, manual duplexing. Never heard of it. Wow, I have been working myself to death printing one page at a time so I can turn the paper over. LOL

The service manual is coming in handy as the printer is making a bit too much noise when the paper is rolling through. I will have to learn how to clean them.

Thanks again for all of your help. I have learned so much.

I think because I am new here, the system doesn't allow me to rate each of the threads. I will keep trying.

Now that this website lets me come here, I will be around more often.

Thanks again. Have a good night.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:56 AM
    See this thread about duplexing. It gets off on the wrong foot too:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/word-p...even+odd+pages
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 28, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Just on the paper handling, you can get replacement pickup rollers and separation pads. That's what you need to get the paper feeding through properly again. You can try cleaning them off as they can get dry and full of paper dust.

Sep 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
    Thanks KeepItSimple and StuMegu

It looks like I didn't get anymore messages in my e-mail box notifying me that I had more messages here.

Unfortunately, I'm not good at mechanical things. I'm good at taking them apart but then I can't put them back together again.

I've lived with a defective printer for a lot of years, I guess I can live with one for a few more days.

But if there is a printer you guys can recommend that doesn't need to be repaired that I can use duplexing on, please let me know.

I think it's time to get a printer that can I can do duplexing on. I've lived with a defective printer for too long. I only spent $25 on this current printer maybe I can donate it to someone.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 29, 2007, 04:39 AM
    Duplexing is not going to be cheap. If you can get an HP 1320 or 2105, both are lasers with buillt in duplexing. You can also add a duplexing adapter ($80) to several of HP's inkjet printers.

And you still need more RAM
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 29, 2007, 04:52 AM
    In my experience, the printers that sell for the cheapest price are usually expensive to run. How much you spend on a printer should be determined by the amount of printing you are going to do as a more expensive printer can save money in the operating costs.

I recently bought a Kyocera laser printer for around £600 that, due to high usage, will be cheaper to run than a £100 laser printer. Always look at the consumables cost and how many copies you get from them.

As for a printer that doesn't need to be repaired, your best option is to buy one new and get a warranty. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you get any second hand devices they are likely to break down sooner and you have much less or no warranty on the unit.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Dana,

I cannot think of any reason why the HP won't work with XP. I've run dozens of HP Drivers on my XP system without any major problems.

If you would be kind enough to give me a couple of days, I'll weed through the previous posts and see I can up with any thing.

Don
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Recommendation HP P2015dn:

pcRUSH.com - Product Specification for Item# 86546

This is the same printer I got for essentially the same price. Still waiting for one of the rebates. The "d" means duplex. The "n" means network. It's USB and Ethernet.
    Postscript level 3 and PCL 6.

Shipping? And maybe $20 for extra printer RAM. Printer cartridges come in a 3K pages and 6K pages at ~$80/3000 pages. And, of course, a USB or Ethernet cable.

Pretend your old printer is a hands-on course on how to repair printers. Try to fix it. Learn.

Sep 29, 2007, 10:21 PM
    Hello KeepItSimple

Don't you think that's a bit much of a printer for home use?
    I guess with that price, it isn't Most places sell those for over $500.

HP has it for the same price with free shipping. I will most likely get one of these. Sounds great!!

I am thinking about taking the broken printer apart and removing the sensor. The newly acquired printer's sensor maybe warped.

Keep your fingers crossed that I can manage to put it back together again once I take it apart.

The newly acquired printer is way too unreliable. That piece of tape is not keeping the sensor in place permanently. It is just a guessing game trying to get it in just the right position each time I want to print something.

THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT RECOMMENDATION!!

(P.S. the software here will not let me rate any of your answers, sorry )

Sep 29, 2007, 11:48 PM
    I made a mistake. PCRush.com has the best price for the HP 2015DN. It's $100.00 more at hp.com.

I cannot find any warranty information on the printer. Do you know if HP offers any warranty on it?
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 04:10 AM
    1 year. All you need to know:
    Search HP US - Search results for 'p2015dn'

Sep 30, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Dana,

The price in this instance is driven by the additional cost of the paper handling features.

I still suggest that you hold off a bit, just to give me a chance here. I'd like a shot at the HP Problem you are having.

First off, I'd like to know your how the printer is connected to the PC? Second, does the printer run a stand-alone print test? From the Printer's Properties screen, can you print the test page?

Please do a Start >> Run >> MS DOS. From the command prompt type "Echo LPT1 This is a test. 0x0A 0x0BPage One0x0C" ,<enter>

No Quotes. "0xZZ" means Hexicidemal. So from the keyboard you would type <ALT> 10 This is the Line return command. The x0B = <ALT> 11 = Line Feed and the 0x0C = <ALT>12 = the Page Eject Command.

Lpt1 is the address of the printer and I'm assuming the printer is connected via the parallel port for this test. If your printer is connected differently, get a parallel cable and plug the printer to the parallel port this way we can also isolate the ports as the source of the problem.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 10:27 AM
    donf:

Let me re-gurgitate this thread for you a bit. The printer is a parallel port only printer. It's 10 years old. She duplexes extensively and wasn't aware of manual duplexing. She has another broken one just like it with other unidentified problems. She thought the error light was the ready light and never had a manual.

It has a physical problem with a sensor. Ether cartridge installed or door closed. I don't know which. She has to tape it in place to operate the printer. This likely occurred because the printer was shipped from an eBay seller with the cartridge installed.Maybe Dana can identify the p/n in the service manual.

It also has a physical problem with page separation, so she at least needs the sensor or actuator, page pickup roller and the page separation gizmo to fix it.

This thread meanders a lot.

KISS

Sep 30, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    donf:

Let me regurgitate this thread for you a bit. The printer is a parallel port only printer. It's 10 years old. She duplexes extensively and wasn't aware of manual duplexing. She has another broken one just like it with other unidentified problems. She thought the error light was the ready light and never had a manual.

It has a physical problem with a sensor. Ether cartridge installed or door closed. I don't know which. She has to tape it in place to operate the printer. This likely occurred because the printer was shipped from an ebay seller with the cartridge installed.Maybe Dana can identify the p/n in the service manual.

It also has a physical problem with page separation, so she at least needs the sensor or actuator, page pickup roller and the page separation gizmo to fix it.

This thread meanders a lot.

KISS
    KISS - Good afternoon - How are things along your coastline today? Thanks for the distillation of this thread.

We can cheat around the reporting of the error by putting a parallel break-out box on the line and then crippling the PE line from communicating to the PC but that would only be a band aid until newer parts could be ordered.

For a 10 year old printer, I would also agree with you to replace the printer. The upside would be a better code build on the newer printer. Factory tested parts in the box and better than average packing.

As to manual over automatic, automatic works for me. As to her question about printers, I'd suggest Lexmark's mid-range lasers. But I'm extremely biased towards Lexmark.

Currently, I have an old 2455 laser with automatic duplexing, hard drive, flash ram and network nic that is on loan to a friend. Two all in one (8350) and one small ink jet in a closet

Don,
    Lexmark Retiree
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Donf:
    Coast is gorgeous. Yesterday I re-built a carb on a snowblower. The diaphram fuel valve was leaking. Then the pull-start broke. I don't fix these. It did start and ran rough until I was fiddleing with the mixture.

Can't do the parallel breakout trick because the printer won't to a self-test at times because of the physical problem.

We generally agree, which is cool. One trouble-shooter to another.

Dana:
    Can you identify the part that's broken in the service manual with a page and call-out number? The call-out number is the number in the circle.

You can possibly rob that part from your other printer. The paper separator and pick-up rollers have to be new.

As for taking things apart. HP's instructions are really good. Lay things out on a table and use large pieces of paper or small cups for the screws and components that you remove. It's also useful to poke them into styrofoam as you remove them. Write the page number on the container that hold the screws for that page. If you use the paper method take them out in a st order leaving lots of room between each item. Note if there are screws longer than the others. Re-assemble in reverse.

Laser printers have maintenance issues. 1) Cleaning, 2) Jams 3) pick-up rollers 3)Paper separator and 5) Fuser

These parts do not last forever and must be replaced periodically. You won't know what a warn pick-up roller looks like until you have a new one to compare too. When they are smooth, they are broken.

The upgrade cycle is usually because of one of these reasons:
    The printer technology is obsolete.
    I don't have a specific port.
    I need networking
    I need duplexing.
    I need posscript or a particular version of PostScript.
    I can't get parts.
    Maintenance is getting too expensive.
    I need to support Mac's and PC's.
    It's too slow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HP Color LaserJet 1500L [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The Drum unit indicator is flashing (only this indicator is flasing others are dark) . I've changed the drum unit but that didn't solve the problem. What else can be done, to be checked? Thank you in advance!

HP Laserjet 5M hangs when printing from Windows [ 2 Answers ]

I've got an HPLJ 5M printer that is now not printing from Windows. Here's what I've tried: 1. Ensuring that the printer and computer are communicating - I created a little text file using notepad. I can print the file no problem from the DOS cmd line, but cannot print from windows. 2. Have...

HP laserjet 1300 leaves marks on top left corner [ 2 Answers ]

HP laserjet 1300 The printer prints with a scratch on top left of every page. No problem with contents but leaves some stretch marks (as if it were jammed on that section only) every time. Any suggestion?

View more questions Search