Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    acmckelvie Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Noma Programmable Digital Thermostat
    I have Honeywell mercury tilt theromometers controlling the baseboard heating in my home. I want to be able to programme the heat to turn on and off as and when it is needed and I bought some Noma Programmable Digital Thermostats to replace them. The Honeywell thermostats work well but when I connect the Noma one nothing happens - no heat - no didgital display - nothing. It looks idiot proof, two wires coming out of the box in the wall, two wires to connect to the Thermostat - what am I doing wrong??
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 09:31 PM
    Is the Honeywell thermostat for 110/220 volts? Is the new thermost for 24 volts? This could be the problem

Sep 28, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Is the Honeywell thermostat for 110/220 volts? Is the new thermost for 24 volts? This could be the problem

Thanks for your reply, that is exactly the problem. Any suggestions what digital thermostat would be compatible with my baseboard heaters?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 08:35 AM
    This could be a bit of a mess. If it is a 240 volt heater, you should use a double pole thermostat which requires 4 wires.

Sep 28, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Code says you only need to break one side of the 220 volts to control the heater element but both sides have to be protected by a over current device. Fuse/breaker.

Sep 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
    Code says you only need to break one side of the 220 volts to control the heater element but both sides have to be protected by a over current device. fuse/breaker.
    In non-technical speak for the technically challenged please...
    cps124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 02:57 PM
    I'm having the same problem, but have central heating.

Sep 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
    220 volts uses 2 wires for power. Each wire is 110 volts hanse when combined equal 220 volts. Code requires you only have to have a switch or thermostat that opens up one side of the 220 volts not both to control the heater.Now the disconnect/fuses or breaker has to be a two circuit type so all the voltage will be off when servicing.

Sep 28, 2007, 04:33 PM
    220 volts uses 2 wires for power. Each wire is 110 volts hanse when combined equal 220 volts. Code requires you only have to have a switch or thermostat that opens up one side of the 220 volts not both to control the heater.Now the disconnect/fuses or breaker has to be a two circuit type so all the voltage will be off when servicing.
    Is it possible to do what I want to do - or should I abandon all hope of digitally time controlling my heating?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noma Programmable thermostat [ 14 Answers ]

I have tried to replace a conventional lever action mercury thermostat with a new digital programmable Noma thermostat. The AC works fine but when I turn on the heat, the AC come on then too and not the heat. I have no heat. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: Orange -> Y Red ->...

Noma Programmable 5+1+1 thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just purchased the above mentioned thermostat and connected the wires accordingly. My question is the old mercury thermostat had a jumper to R and RN if I'm not mistaken. The new digital thermostat only asks that the four wires be connected with no mention of a jumper. I...

Noma digital programmable model52-255808 [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get a wiring diagram?

Noma programmable thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old carrier thermostat model q674j119 or t874g1790 for my oil furnace and heat pump. I tried to change this with Noma programmable thermostat model 52-2558-8 but everythings not working. This was the wiring for the original thermostat: O -> Orange R -> Red W2 -> White G -> Green C...

Programmable noma thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am changing a York thermostat to a Noma programmable. I have rewired transferring w to w, rc to rc, g to g, y to y . There is a wire jumper on the York that goes from rc to 4. There is no corresponding 4 on the Noma. Does anyone have a suggestion as to where the wire jumper should go if I...

View more questions Search