Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 09:06 PM
    Video cable-- RCA or S-Video?
    I need to run a video cable, about 50-75', to a projector at my church.

The outputs I have available are S-Video or a single yellow RCA. Which option will give me the best singal/picture over such a long cable run?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 03:13 AM
    S-Video (Y/C) is always better. Here is a source for long cables: S VIDEO INTERCONNECT CABLES

S-Video has separate lumanance (brightness) and chromonance (color) information. The first half of this document shows the actual signals carried by composite and S-Video or Y/C.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:29 AM
    One source has told me that composite is actually better for long runs, since the signal isn't split therefore it is stronger.

I'm thinking of using coaxial.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 08:38 PM
    I would really have to disapoint you, but S-video is DUAL COAX. S-Video Cable - 75 Ohm Dual Coax - Male / Male

BTW: USB Cables, Computer Cables, Coaxial Cables, Audio Cables, Video Cables and Assemblies, Connectors and Supplies - www.L-com.com is probably cheaper. Use them all the time.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 08:53 PM
    How about this link: Extron Electronics - Good System Design and the Video Food Chain

Want the best use UTP, but that will cast you big bucks for the converters.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 11:48 AM
    I ended up using coaxial cables and F to RCA adapters.
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
    It works and you were able to get it done "yesterday". Sometimes time wins over best. In this case, there was no real "right way".
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
    The church wanted it done for our special services this weekend. They told me this on Tuesday and gave me basically no budget to get it done. I had some cable wire in my basement, however I did have to buy the plug adapters and a distribution amplifier. Still under $70 for everything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Video cable connected [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure what's going on all of a sudden my monitor won't work. The green power light is an amber color now on my compaq so I tried switching monitors seeing if maybe that would trigger something... I plugged in a HP monitor into my compaq and got a Video cable connected? Question on the...

What is the PCI-E Video Card equivalent to this AGP Video Card? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a turmoil to either upgrade my AGP Video Card to another AGP or a PCI-E. Most of you will say upgrade a motherboard that has a PCI-E slot, but that means upgrading everything else including memory, video card, MAYBE CPU - and that could mean a whole lot because I don't want to buy a cheap...

Running video cable through an existing wall [ 6 Answers ]

2 questions: 1. I want to feed video cable into a wall so I can service several rooms through the attic. Is there any trick to getting the cable from the room, through a small hole, up through the insulation and out through a relatively small hole in the attic, or am I dreaming? 2. with new...

S video cable [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I just bought and a cable connecting my laptop through the s video port through a scart port to my TV, but I can't seem to make the picture appear, doens anyone know how it make it work?

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

View more questions Search