Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ulr037 Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Oct 5, 2005, 09:40 AM
    Do not know what this message means, can you help?
    *Good afternoon:

I need some help to solve these problems on my computer. I tried to copy and paste into this forum but for I was unable to do this function. Is this possible here? And how do I do it. It might not matter because I have typed what the pop boxes indicate.

There are 4 boxes that come up on my computer after I have logged on and I do not know what they mean, what they are doing to my computer and how to get rid of them. The only way to get them off the screen is to close the boxes. Click on the "X".

1. X Windows cannot find ' Then 7 little boxes, a space and then 7 more boxes, and then 6 more boxes." Then the words Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search. Okay box dialog box.

2. Could not load or run.... then 7,7,6 little boxes with the words along side them, specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the referrence to it in the registry.

3, 4, these both messages repeat themselves again.

I sent the messages to my email at work but I do not know how to attach them to this email so I just typed out their messages for you.

Can you also answer the question, what is a registry?

Someone told me I could download for freeSpyware Doctor for free. When I ran it, it found 7 infections. When I went to fix them, it told me I had to buy the program or continue to use the free copy. Well it would not let me run the free copy, it kept popping me back to the purchase page. Can you assist with this? Is there one for free or do I need to purchase it. Then I loaded Spybot search and destroy because someone at work told me that this would get rid of the 4 boxes above. It did not. Now I have this other box that says Spybot - Search and Destory has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.

Category - System Start-up global entry

Change: Value Deleted

Entry: User fault check

Old Data: % system %| system 32? dumprep O-u

The only choice is to close out the box. When I close off the box, a pop up comes which states Resident denied by change. I do not know what all this means. Can you explain this to me? What do I have to do to get this message to go away. Or what action do I take?

And the last question is as follows:

This was also popping up on my screen. "Spooler Subsystem App--- Spooler Subsytem App encountered a problem and needed to close. Can you tell me what this means?

This is what I need help. I need help to see if something is infecting my computer and how to get rid of them. Preferably free downloads if I can.

Thanks so much for your anticipated help and guidance.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2005, 09:52 AM
    First, the Registry is a database that Windows maintains storing info about just about everything installed on your system. The Registry is key to how apps are run.

What it sounds like is that Windows is attrempting to load something during your startup that was either deleted or uninstalled, but not completely.

The first thing to try is going to Start>Run and typing MSCONFIG. Then open the Startup tab and see if there is anything listed there you don't recognize. If there is uncheck it. If you aren't sure, uncheck it, you can always recheck it later. Then reboot and see if the message still occurs.

You might also want to make sure you do a full Spyware scan. If you don't have any anti-spyware utilities, Fredg should be along soon and post a list for you to check out.

Oct 5, 2005, 09:58 AM
    Scott, I will try this out. But can you address the other questions about Spybot and Spyware Doctor. The other questions about Spool Subsystem, was this addressed in your response? Is that connected with your answer as well? What about free spyware Doctor? Do I have to purchase this or can I can it for free? Why will it not let me remove the 7 infections that it said it discovered? Thanks so much for all your anticipated help? I really appreicate your time. Thanks again.

Oct 5, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Oh one more thing. Could this be at all related to when I had a printer and I had to return it? It was one of those photo printers. It did not work. So I had to return it. Maybe when I was trying to uninstall this software, I did something then. Because now, my printer that I put back on, does not get recognized at times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. When it doesn't the spool message comes up. Again thanks so much. From a very green computer user. Please when responding, please remember this above statement. Don't get upset if I do not understand your directions. I am very new to all of this and really do not know what I am doing.I had a friend install Norton on my computer and it states that it is going to run out at the end of October. It was the latest version. I read someone said not to bother with Norton and try AVG. I am so confused. I do not know what I need to stop all of these virus and spams etc etc. I am not sure what firewalls are and if I have one on my computer. But I have to get everything running again very soon. Time is of the enchance here. I will not go into detail because the reason is personal and very painful. Unless you think you can really help. But I am new to this forum and have not read too much yet to see the protocol on this forum. But I do need your help to get a clean computer again and with not a lot of costs involved so I can get to the task at hand. I know this is a tall order but any help I can get will greatly assist me more than you will know. Thanks for any advise you can provide. I do want to state that up front. And as much as I can.

Oct 5, 2005, 10:20 AM
    Scott:

Thought of another question. How do I know when I am downloading Spyware doctor, or Spybot Search & Destroy that there are not viruses or spyware in them? How can I be sure they are safe?
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 5, 2005, 11:19 AM
    Hi, I'm a lifetime member of completelyfreesoftware.com and get a lot of good stuff there. I just checked on some spyware apps and found this little app. The specs are as follows: Although there are a lot more, I thought this one best at this time.

"R-Firewall is a firewall that protects a computer connected to a local network and/or to the Internet against any intrusions, attacks, trojans, spyware, and other external & internal threats.
    It features content filter, configuration setup Wizard, simple & advanced modes, optional DNS cache for faster access, attack detection log, define a range of trusted hosts & IP addresses, check files attached to e-mails, ban or limit cookies, block undesirable content (like banners, data, etc), ban or limit the use of active content in Internet pages (such as JavaScript, ActiveX, etc), and more.
    This is an excellent way of protecting your computer. It effectively blocked our test computer from outside attacks (courtesy of grc.com), making it virtually invisible to the outside world.
    R-Firewall has two modes – a "simple" mode and an "advanced" mode (designed for more experienced users) – but we still didn't find it as "idiot proof" as we would have liked. The auto configuration Wizard assists you to make the set up process relatively painless but we still felt that more could be done to make it user friendly.
    Still, it is better than most other firewalls so it is a good choice for anyone uncertain about adding a firewall to their computer (something that all Internet users should do).
    We were most impressed with R-Firewall.
    Worth grabbing! http://www.r-firewall.com/
    Note: we have been advised that this program is not suitable for Windows 95."

Try the link, if it won't let you download it, email me and let me know where to send the file to you as I usually download a lot of utilities and apps to try out for friends who don't want to spend too much money. I myself have spysweeper right now and am planning to use a free app, since I'm tired of their constant 'reminders to renew' and can't be paying for software all the time. CFS also has a great newsletter with latest updates and it was worth the lifetime fee for me. PC World also has a subscription to daily downloads and some of he stuff is free also, some not, but both sites are worth a try to look at. Good Luck with your other problems. Just be patient, you'll get more help.
    I purchased Registry Mechanic and it was worth it too, as I like the feature on startup, it really does a good job, so you might consider one more purchase.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2005, 03:40 AM
    Computer problems
    Hi,
    I agree with your computer might be trying to find a program that was deleted, but some of the files for it are still there, or there is a reference to those files in possibly system.ini file.
    My only suggestion at this time would be trying Spyware programs. If you don't have the following, get them. Here are the programs I use, and how to use them. I suggest these programs because they contain no Spyware or Spam advertising popping up, and they will not harm your computer.

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Now, if the above does not clean up the issue, please post back.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 6, 2005, 05:28 AM
    Like I said, Fred came along with his list (thanks Fred). I don't know about Spyware Doctor, but there are many good and freeware anti-spyware apps out there so I would try those before paying for one. If you are using Win XP, Microsoft has a good one as well (I use it), you can find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx One of the advantages of Microsoft's is it scans real time, blocking the installation, not just cleaning up afterwards.

As to trusting the downloads, it depends on where you get it from. If you go to the vendors WEB site or one of several popular donwload sites (download.com, tucows.com among others), you can have a reasonable degree of trust.

I would first get rid of the load problems and any spyware or viruses you might have. Then see if your other problems still exist.

Oct 15, 2005, 05:07 PM
    I'm Back
    I am now home again. My father had a stoke while at the cancer centre. I am home again to start working on my computer. This is reference to Fredg comment to download spyware blaster 3.3. When I logged onto www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html - it had on there spyware blaster 3.4. Should I be downloading this or looking for Spyware blaster 3.4. I would imagine that spyware blaster 3.4 is a newer version is this correct.

Just an aside. I will update you on what I found out about how I am going to make my presentation. Do not have time to go into that now. I have to get these messages off my computer. I am starting with this. Thanks again for all the help this website has offered me. I just want to let you know that I have not forgotten all your advise, I just have not been at home. I was at the hospital with my father. All I know with running some of the ideas everyone gave me, the 4 boxes are still there. Now I am going to do the suggestions regarding my registry. I just hope I have enough knowledge to get through this on my own. But I am sure with all of your help, I will. Or else, the computer is going!! Just kidding!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 15, 2005, 05:17 PM
    Dear, please accept my deepest sorrow for what you and your family are going through..

During this time, I have used the Microsoft antispy free beta application on several of my friends' computers and they are very happy with it. To top it off it is backed up by Microsoft, so you can be sure it's 'safe' and virus free. As far as the other applications, we'll be here if you need help, count on it...

Bless you and hope the rest of your family is OK. At least they have the chance to say their goodbyes, not all of us have that opportunity, no matter how painful for you all, which should be of some comfort.

Oct 15, 2005, 05:38 PM
    Chery:

Thank you for your prompt reply. Those are very kind words you just provided. I am so messed up inside, I did not proof read my last entry. I meant to write "Stroke" and meant to write " should I be looking for Spyware Blaster 3.3. Because the site was 3.4. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused. I am sure there were more but in a time crunch right now. Chery, I should have explained, my father had a stroke but is still in the hospital. He is a strong man, has cancer, has a stroke but is still here with us. But he is still very sick the Doctor's told us. We just have to wait to see what all the tests tell us. It is weird for me to be getting all this ready for when the time comes. But the thing is, right now, I do not know if it will be tomorrow or weeks from now. But I must get everything prepared in advance for the tribute I want to do for him. But now, back to working on getting my computer safe and those darn pop up windows gone for good. They are still there but I have not tried all the suggestions yet. Still taking all your advise though. Good night for now.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 15, 2005, 05:47 PM
    Dear, I well understood that your dad is still among us. And your spelling is sometimes better than mine, so don't worry.

As far as asking about the version, usually people download the 'original' version first, which might have more files and some drivers, then after that, they get the updated/upgraded versions which might not be the full applications but corrections and enhancements, to keep up. And our offer to be here still goes. TTFN, Chery

Oct 15, 2005, 06:32 PM
    Help:

I have downloaded Spybot - search and destroy. When the scan was done it showed in red the words "Shop at home". When the scan was done, I checked the fix problem button. (An aside - I do not know what shop at home is because I do not shop from home on my computer)

Then a question came up that stated " You are about to remove these entries. Do you want to continue? I clicked yes.

The a box stated the following:

Spybot - Search and Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed.

Category: System Start-up global entry
    Change: Value deleted
    Entry: HddJ taskbar Utility
    Old Data: c:/windows/system 32/spool/drives/w32

The only way to get rid of this box is to click the X and then another pop up comes up that I am not sure if I did the right thing. I clicked the X to get the box to go away and another pop up comes up. It states 2.42 Registry change denied and then I cannot read the rest because the box disappears so fast.

Can you tell me what I am suppose to do? I am sure that I am not doing something right because we I do another scan the shop at home comes back up. So this has not been taken care of.

What I am doing wrong? Is it bad that I have this shop at home in red after the scan is done. Thanks for all your help.

Oct 15, 2005, 06:38 PM
    One more thing to add to this:

At the bottom of this box that I mentioned, after the category, change, etc
    it has a square to be checked and then Remember this decision then a
    question marked, when clicked it gives a defination ( that I cannot understand) and then a info button. When I press the info button it states no information found for this entry. Again, as I said, the only think I can think if to click the X at the top but I am not sure about this. In this case the box will not go away and it keeps saying registry change denied. It is a yellow box
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 15, 2005, 08:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Like I said, Fred came along with his list (thanks Fred). I don't know about Spyware Doctor, but there are many good and freeware anti-spyware apps out there so I would try those before paying for one. If you are using Win XP, Microsoft has a good one as well (I use it), you can find it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx One of the advantages of Microsoft's is it scans real time, blocking the installation, not just cleaning up afterwards.

As to trusting the downloads, it depends on where you get it from. If you go to the vendors WEB site or one of several popular donwload sites (download.com, tucows.com among others), you can have a reasonable degree of trust.

I would first get rid of the load problems and any spyware or viruses you might have. Then see if your other problems still exist.
    Spybot S&D can be frustrating for someone who is not familiar with computers,like you, so please click the link here in blue, download the one from Microsoct and run it. It is more user friendly and will benefit you more, believe me. It will also prevent further incidents as it is a 'live' protection program, so please use it... do it now! You can alsways uninstall Spybot later, but get yourself protected with the Microsoft one first.

Oct 15, 2005, 11:04 PM
    Chery:

I could not sleep. So I want back to my computer. I ran the Microsoft one like you said. But it did not detect anything about "the shop at home" that appeared in the spybot S & D. Does that mean that this is okay? I was curious to know if it had been taken care of however I did not run Spybot S & D, just in case those same questions arose again. But I am still curious.

My next step tomorrow is to do the registry procedures to get rid of the pops I first came here for.

My husband is watching the formula 1 so it was a good opportunity for me to get up as well. It is 2:30 in the morning. So now that I have run the Microsoft one, I am going back to bed for now. Talk to you later about my other progress. The one I would like to get solved more than anything. I am procrasting a bit tonight because I hope I can follow all the instructions. Not knowing what to do is putting fear in me and that is why I am avoiding the next step till tomorrow when I am more awake. I will do it after my mountain bike ride ( How is that for procrasting? Ha!) But the Fall weather is so beautiful!! Cheers!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 16, 2005, 12:12 AM
    That's cool, it's 9:22 Am Sunday here and I have not slept since Saturday morning. Doc came and gave me shots last night, but still could not sleep, I think I'll take a nap now, cause Formula 1 will be repeated at 13:00 later, so I'll watch it then or record it, my b/f is still asleep and he likes it too, so he'll wake up soon. Just take is one step at a time, and get back with us. Stu, scott, or fred will be on then, and you'll bet a lot of support, so don't sweat it. We girls can do anything we put our minds to do. Enjoy your ride. TTFN, Chery
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 16, 2005, 03:21 AM
    Hi Lori,

What version of Windows are you running?

As Scott and Fred suggested, run the "msconfig" program to try to identify your startup programs. If you are not sure what is what, try posting what it says under the "Startup" tab here, you cannot copy the details, just type the names of the entries as shown under Startup Item column.

The spooler subsystem problem is most likely the printer you removed. In order to solve this I would suggest removing all your printers (make sure you have the CD to re-install the one you want), rebooting and re-installing the one you need to use. Do this from start -> settings -> printers. Just right click each printer entry and click delete. If you are asked if you want to keep any files, say no. This will ensure the re-installation comes from the CD.

As far as the other problem with "the shop at home", I don't think the Microsoft program has removed it because it would have mentioned this. Try Adaware as Fred suggested, Safe mode is the best place to run these programs, just make sure you've updated the program from the internet first. I've found this program to be pretty good.

Oct 16, 2005, 08:18 PM
    1. I am running Windows X-P.

2. I scanned adware 3 times in safe mode, then re-booted
    I scanned adware 3 more times then ran spybot S& D
    I ran CW shredder and then I re-booted.
    3. Have not run spyware blaster 3.3 yet because I want to know if spyware
    blaster 3.4 should be run or 3.3. I think Chery said to run 3.3. I have not
    done this yet
    3. I have scanned Norton antiversus because I had that on my system
    4. I have scanned Microsoft Antispyware as well
    5. Shop at home is gone now. This was successful
    6. Item Number 2 was done successfully
    7. The 4 main boxes I originally displayed are still present so the original
    problem is not solved.
    8. I did the following: start>run and typed MSCONFIG. I then opened the start
    up tab and this is what was listed.

They all had check marks beside them. In the startup column it had the following items
    gcas serv
    ________ this one was blank
    real schred
    SDN Mon
    qttask
    Popupinspector
    Rund1132
    Motive SB
    CC App
    HPwuSchd2
    dum prep 0-u
    hpztsb01
    ctfmon
    teatimer
    mssysmgr
    acrobat assistant
    adobe gamma Loa
    Adobe gamma Loader
    HP didital imaging
    Microsoft Office
    Net Assistant
    Vaio action set up
    8 boxes like the ones with the original problem
    8 boxes again

For the last two items listed, under Command it has 9 bxes for each and under location it has the following:

HKCU/software/Microsoft/Windows NT/Current...

Do you want the command and location for all the other ones I mentioned?

I do not know what all the above means.

So I think I have done everything you have stated but the 4 boxes are still there and this gives you a summary that is under run msconfig. But I do know what I am supposed to uncheck or leave as is.

That is the current situation at the moment. Going to bed now. I will try again tomorrow with any new help I receive when I wake up. Thanks to everyone for all their help. I do hope I can reach a solution soon.

Cheers! :confused:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 17, 2005, 12:47 AM
    The first option is to un-check all of the bottom 2 entries you mentioned, just take the ticks out to remove them from startup. If I get a bit more time today I will check on some of the other processes.

As far as the Spyware Blaster goes, it doesn't matter, either should work but personally I always download the latest (free) version e.g. 3.4

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do think religion means in today's society? [ 8 Answers ]

As a christian I have noticed that as time passes by, the meaning and values of religions is diminishing. The respect towards it mean nothing and the boudaries that protect the rights of religion do not mean anything. Shows are constantly making fun of god. Society disrespects god, and the thing...

Word means "reply quickly" [ 17 Answers ]

I remember that I have read and look up in dictionary a word which describe an ability or characteristic of a person (maybe a little child) who are able to reply (in communication) very quickly and clever. I read that word long time ago and now I need it. However, I cannot remember it and I...

This means she like me better than likes me right. [ 7 Answers ]

Okay so for about 4 months now I'm been going out with this girl. The thing is I had to lie to her parents and she as to lie to her parents about my name. Cause they found out that I took her and her friend somewhere to have a drink. Where all minors, anyway the other girl blabbed her mouth and...

This means nothing to me... [ 3 Answers ]

"Oh Vienna..." so sang Midge Your,and Ultravox in 1981.Odd then that with Windows Vista,due for release Xmas 2006,that Redmond and co,are already working on the next OS. It's code name is Vienna.I checked a reputable link,to see if it was a joke: ...

Computers: It means what? [ 5 Answers ]

512MB DDR RAM 266Mhz (2x256MB) Does this mean that if I choose this option 266Mhz will be ADDED to my computer? And can your RAM get less on a computer? Thanks, Conrad

View more questions Search