Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rr man Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Is it hard for rich people to get to heaven?
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24) Does this mean that Bill Gates will probably wind up in hell?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 10:14 AM
    The Eye of the Needle was a very small gate in the city wall. Camels had to be unpacked then get down on their knees and scoot through. Difficult, but not impossible.

No, it is not right to say a person will probably go to hell because they have a lot of money.

Don't forget too, that in the case of Bill Gates, he gives zillions to charity.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rr man
    "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24) Does this mean that Bill Gates will probably wind up in hell?

The only way Bill Gates will end up in hell is if he doesn't accept Jesus as his savior and hold true to John 14: 1-6

1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God[a]; trust also in me. 2In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. 4You know the way to the place where I am going."
    Jesus the Way to the Father
    5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
    6Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

I think the verse in Matthew is an analogy to warn people of holding money out as a god and keeping that as a barrier between you and a right relationship with God.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Sep 25, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I think I understand this verse a little better these days than I did when I was younger.

Speaking for myself--having grown up poor--I've found that when I have a decent sum of money at my disposal, I tend to be more self-sufficient, more pround of what I have done, and sometimes (shamefully enough), a bit more selfish about it.

Contrarywise, when I'm struggling to make ends meet (which is the vast majority of the time), I worry about whether we'll have enough food for the month, if we can pay the necessary bills, the future of my kids, etc. I find that I don't have the means to change my situation myself, and therefore my hope turns to God. And He has always come through for me, one way or another.

So I think that money--in and of itself--isn't a problem. It's how do we view ourselves, view God, and view our relationship with God that has the potential to be a problem.

Is He still our provider, or did we do it "on our own?"

DK
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 01:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    The Eye of the Needle was a very small gate in the city wall. Camels had to be unpacked then get down on their knees and scoot through. Difficult, but not impossible.
    I'm not sure that you can say this is what Jesus was referring to for sure.

And anyway, it's been done ;)

Popular Science: Mini Machines Photo Gallery
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:34 AM
    The chances of Bill Gates ending up in Hell are as good as your own chances. It is not the money, it is the love of money, that is the root involved, Rich and poor alike can go to Heaven, what matters is not their pocketbook, but what is written in the Book of Life (their life) in regards to their salvation.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    It is not the money, it is the love of money, that is the root involved,
    But that is not what the Bible quote says. It says "rich" not "love of money".
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    I'm not sure that you can say this is what Jesus was refering to for sure.
    True we cannot be sure. For those of you interested in reading more of this possibility, see here: The camel and the eye of the needle, Hebrew NT Application - Biblical Hebrew
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Sep 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
    Comment on mountain_man's post
    Yes. Exactly. You need Jesus to get to Heven.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Sep 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    But that is not what the Bible quote says. It says "rich" not "love of money".
    We need to read verses in the Bible in there context. Let me point out the previous verses.

Matthew 19:21-24
    21 Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”
    22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
    23 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “Assuredly, I say to you that it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

The man was sad because he loved his money and he did not want to give it up. He chose his money instead of following Jesus.
    Will00 Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Sep 26, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Some of you have the wrong idea. What Jesus was trying to say was that the rich people had more things to distract them. Such as (nowadays): More Computers, bad books, TV shows, other optional accessories that the poorer people may not of had. All of these things can be negative. In which case, if you did not have these things (or have access to these things), you would not have the authorization of viewing or receiving such material. Therefor making it, in turn, harder.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
    It's a matter of where your heart is.
    IF you can be rich and still focus on your heart being in the right place then money is not a problem.
    IF you put your greed before others need then there lies the root of the evil of money!
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    The chances of Bill Gates ending up in Hell are as good as your own chances. It is not the money, it is the love of money, that is the root involved, Rich and poor alike can go to Heaven, what matters is not their pocketbook, but what is written in the Book of Life (their life) in regards to their salvation.
    That is correct. The problem with money is that often it becomes a distraction in and of itself. I heard an interview a while back with a wealthy person - cannot remember who - but a comment was made that once you have money, it is never enough, you want more. So the accumulation of wealth becomes a goal in and of itself, and that is where, I believe, that the line is crossed.

It is this temptation or distraction that money causes which can make it more difficult for a rich man to enter heaven. It is not having the money itself but how it affects us. The key problem here again is that the money is not ours but Gods, and when the accumulation of money becomes our life's goal, we have in fact taken the focus away from where our focus should rightly be placed and that is on God.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Probably.
    biorig Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2007, 05:38 PM
    rr man, those who are blessed with money usually pledge allegiance to the money and are most likely not able to submit to God and make it to the Kingdom of God
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
    Great replies from you all.

From Proverbs 30:

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
    Do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
    Give me neither poverty nor riches,
    But give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
    And say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
    Or I may become poor and steal,
    And so dishonor the name of my God.

Grace and Peace
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Oct 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
    He is the way the truth and the light. You can't get to heven without Jesus. He died for your sins. He died for everyone's sins. It doesn't matter if your rich or poor etc. But you must choose to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Possibly but we cannot judge these things. The Bible (Jesus) says it is hard for a rich man to be saved because riches are decieptfull they allow a person to think that they have everything. Jesus said everything is possible with God, so it would be possible for Bill gates to be saved just as it is possible for everyone else.

Be careful to read the whole of every teaching and not just take part of it as you have done here
    silentrascal Posts: 194, Reputation: -2
    -

Oct 19, 2007, 04:33 AM
    It is not impossible for those who are materially rich to inherit God's Kingdom (whether by being a part of the small group to be granted heavenly life or by being part of the much larger group that will enjoy eternal life right here on earth in perfection), but it certainly is much more difficult for them.

Between our own inherited imperfection and fleshly desires, the constant influence around us pushing us to have the latest and the best of everything, and the on-going devotion most people today have for the "almighty dollar", the wealthy have a hard time putting spiritual interests ahead of material. Those who are striving to be wealthy expend much energy and time in keeping up with what they have or in trying to get more (or better) things for themselves, with little time for anything else. Some say people like this are trying for their own little "kingdom on earth" and give no consideration to their responsibilities toward God. That's not to say that EVERY wealthy person will have this difficulty. Some are wealthy because of being fortunate or having inherited it from elsewhere, and may not have the frame of mind in which they have to show off what they have or get caught up in the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality of the world in general.
    beatlejuice Posts: 63, Reputation: 2
    -

Oct 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
    When you Quote the Bible be sure not to just quote one verse without reading the context. When jesus said this, a rich man had asked him how he can inherit the kningdom of God and Jesus replied that he should sell all his belonging and give the money to the poor and follow Him. The rich man refused to do such a thing and that is when Jesus said this statement. Jesus was just trying to say to if you want to follow him you must be willing to give up the things which are near and dear to you. And if you read other verses "the kingdom of God" is not Heaven. The Kingdom of God is not a Place but a disposition. The bible says in Romans 14,17 the Kingdom of God is Rightiousnes Peace and Joy in the Holy spirit. Jesus was just making a comment on How this rich man was not willing to give up his wealth to follow God.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who sings the song Heaven o Heaven.. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Ive been looking everywhere do find out who sings that slow song that goes "Heaven o Heaven can you help me, Iam down on my knees please heaven, heaven, heaven, I close my eyes and shes all I see heaven o heaven can you help me" The group or singer sort of sound like Boyz II Men Please...

You And The Rich: [ 8 Answers ]

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer because the rich exploit and manipulate the poor. Have you been a victim of these inequities? Jeff :eek:

2 hard drives 2 os's 2 people ugh! [ 14 Answers ]

Ok here's the deal... My girlfriend had a really old hp computer running windows 98, it was fried, but the hard drive was still OK, so I took that out of the old computer, threw away the rest of it. I have a new Hp, running Windows XP home. So I figured I would put her hard drive in to my...

How do you set up a foundation? Like all the rich people do. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know how to begin a foundation to transfer assets to , don't you first need a non-profit organization to fundraise, or that is somehow connected? Can you then set up a trust fund from there? Any lawyers in tha house? :rolleyes:

People Are Accessing My Hard Drives! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello There! We have a LAN Network & there are 50 computers in that LAN connected through some routers. One of the users is accessing my hard drives & stealing data. I don't know how to prevent him & how he's doing that? I have Windows-XP (SP2) firewall is enable. There is no possibility that...

View more questions Search