Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allsewmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 07:36 PM
    Removing stem bolts from tub faucets
    Good evening! I am trying to remove the bolts that hold the stems of the hot and cold water faucets on the tub. I'm using a cresent wrench and it's almost rounding the edges of the bolt. I've sprayed WD-40 in between the bolt and water pipes but they haven't budged yet... I'm trying to get the stems out so I can replace the washers as I've got leaking faucets. The diverter is a separate knob for the shower and I've already gotten it's bolt loosened and took it apart and then put it back together. Thanks.
    Jeanne
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 09:27 PM
    Hit it with WD-40 again. Then take a hammer and pound on the edge of the nut. Work it over good applying more WD-40. Then take a proper wrench, a 6 point socket if it is a hex, otherwise the correct size box wrench. If that doesn't do it, you may have to heat it with a torch. Then quench it with water and try the wrench again.

Once you have it out, you may find it is a cartridge. Not sure they are all they are cracked up to be. They are sensitive to dirt, and cost $5-$10 once you find the right one, as compared to a buck for an assortment that will fit most faucets taking one.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 09:15 AM
    Hi Jeanne,

Lab man gave you good advice. Let me add a little more to it. The nuts made of brass and softer the steel so it rounds the corners easier. If the corner's rounded so bad a crescent wrench just slips I take a pipe wrench and go after it. Ya can't tear it up much more.
    While you have the valve open check the seats for nicks or rough spots. If they are then putting a new washer in will just get it torn up again. The seats must be changed as well. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low flow from faucets [ 1 Answers ]

Older house in NC. Water pressure and flow are very low from the kitchen sink and also lavatory faucets. However when you are filling washing machine which is at the other end of the house pressure and flow seem almost normal from both Kitchen and lavatory faucets. Problem is more related to...

Kitchen Sink Faucets [ 5 Answers ]

How do I unplug my kitchen sink faucets? I removed the aerator and cleaned it, but that doesn't improve the flow at all.

Toilet leak at mounting bolts [ 4 Answers ]

I have a mid-80's Crane toilet. I can not get it to stop leaking from the two mounting bolts. I've tried replacing the washers & bolts, cleaning the porcelein with scouring pad, and even using plumbers putty. Nothing works! I've tried tightening and loosening the bolts. I'm at my wits end and...

Low hot water pressure in a couple faucets [ 3 Answers ]

Within the last 48 hours, two faucets suddenly have really poor hot water pressure. The kitchen faucet has low pressure on hot; on cold it is fine. Right around the corner in the half bath, the hot water pressure is great. Upstairs in the bathroom we have a double sink; one of the hot waters...

View more questions Search