Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cubb20032003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next?
    I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A Company Car. The Company Car Is Fixed Already And Mine Is Still At the Towing Company Still Way Beyond Repair. My Car Is Undrivable, And I Have Medical Bills. Thank Goodness I Was Not Injured. UnFortunatly I Have Limited Tort. It Seems Like They Are Blowing Me Off. What Should I do?undefined
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Oct 4, 2005, 07:50 PM
    Have you reported this accident to your insurance company yet? If not then do so immediately. They will pay off your medical bills, have your car fixed or give you a check and then they will go after the other guy for reimbursement. If you didn't have enough insurance coverage to take care of all of these things then I would seriously consider retaining an attorney to go after the other guy for the additional amount. An attorney would probably take a percentage of whatever you recover rather than you having to pay a legal fee.
    sideoutshu Posts: 225, Reputation: 23

Oct 5, 2005, 05:21 AM
    No Fault
    What state are you in? I practice in New York, and I'm not sure what the laws are like in your state, but here, when you get in a car accident, regardless of who is at fault(with some exceptions like DWI) your OWN insurance pays your medical bills. If you have a property damage claim, the other vehicle would be responsible to pay for damage up to his level of fault(note: this is for NY).

What does the narrative section of the Police Report say? If you have a clear case of liability on the other driver(ie: hit in the rear, blown red light with witnesses, etc.) the opposing insurance company will probably offer you close to 100%(but not all) of the cost of repair. If you have a problem receiving payment for your vehicle, or have injuries that you are still treating for, you should definitely consult an attorney. Send me a private message if you want further advice on this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring fault [ 9 Answers ]

I have a surge protector that my computer is plugged into. The wiring fault light is on. Is this equipment grounded? Does the surge protector do it's job if it is not? I also have 2 prong outlets in half the house ( I rent ) can a powerstrip or a surge protector protect me in a case of a...

Is it my fault? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a five month old boy very determined to do everything sooner than expected, that gets very upset when he cannot reach his goals. Or so it seems. At the moment he cries all the time, unless I help him sit up and touch everything he can reach or if we "read" books together. Does not want to be...

What Happens If Its My Fault In An Auto Accident [ 5 Answers ]

Question 1: OK if I don't have auto insurance and I hit someone who is insured and its my fault and the two children in the back seat of her car are injured but not seriously are not the drivers children can I be sued by both parties by the driver and by the parents of the children Question 2: ...

Proof of Insurance for a no-fault auto accident [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently involved in an accident. Unfortunately, my insurance lapsed. I have witnesses that claim the accident was not my fault. However, since I did not have insurance at the time, I do not know what I may be liable for. If I can prove the accident was not my fault, will that mean I will not...

Arc fault breakers [ 4 Answers ]

I am wiring bedrooms and I know that in California the outlets need to be on an arc fault breaker. 2 questions 1. would there be any problem in wiring a couple of recess lights in the bedrooms on the same circuit with the outlets? 2. There is an outlet in the hallway opposite and outlet in...

View more questions Search