Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    benf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 07:19 AM
    Thermistat display goes blank and comes back intermittently.
    I have a Bryant (Carrier) programmable thermidstat that has worked without problem for 2+ years. The problem is that the LCD and backlight goes out intermittently during the time the system is not running. I have yet to determine the exact sequence of when this happens but without intervention the normal display will return during the time the handler/compressor is on. This make it impossible to adjust/reprogram or turn off the system when the display is blank. Thanks in advance,

Ben
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2005, 09:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benf
    I have a Bryant (Carrier) programmable thermidstat that has worked without problem for 2+ years. The problem is that the LCD display and backlight goes out intermittently during the time the system is not running. I have yet to determine the exact sequence of when this happens but without intervention the normal display will return during the time the handler/compressor is on. This make it impossible to adjust/reprogram or turn off the system when the display is blank. Thanks in advance,

Ben
    Labman knows more about these but I might consider looking for a battery in the unit. These LCD types often contain a backup battery to preserve the program content when A.C. power is lost.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2005, 09:19 AM
    Intermittent problems are usually due to a lose connection somewhere, the wiring, or internally. Check the connections, both at the thermostat and the furnace, R, RC and a jumper if there is one, B or C, and perhaps W.

From there, it depends how brave and creative you are taking apart things not meant to be taken apart and fixed. It is still within reason to examine a plug where the terminals connect to the circuit board. Check the solder joints on any transformer and diodes on the board, and the connections from the board to the display.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor fan works intermittently [ 10 Answers ]

The compressor fan for my AC (Central Air) unit (that is located out side of the house) works intermittently. The fan comes on for few seconds and then turns off. Sometimes I can hear some noise from the compressor unit before the fan turning on. Any help is highly appreciated. Best...

Central Air works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

We have relatively new house. The central air was installed in 2001/2002. This is OUR first time using it. First thing I realized was the circuit breaker for the condenser and fan was bad, so I replaced that. The unit ran fine for a few days. Then we shut it off for a few days. When we...

Blower works intermittently for A/C [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old York furnace with central air. When turning on the A/C, sometimes the blower comes on, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it toggles off and on with a loud clicking sound. If I use the manual switch on the limit control, everything is fine, but of course, then the blower is on...

Dryer works intermittently [ 6 Answers ]

My Kenmore dryer stopped working mid-cycle during a heavy laundry load (lots of jeans). You could push the START button, but it would only hum but not move. My husband opened it up, found some rubber bands that were keeping the dryer drum from turning. It then worked - for one load. On the...

View more questions Search