Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 4, 2005, 06:32 AM
    Where to add the cleanouts?
    Run from converted garage to house is approximately 34' long with around 90 degrees of bends (2-45's minus a slight angle coming out of the garage). I'm assuming it is best to add a vertical cleanout at the garage and at the house. Is this required? As for the 18" of clearance...is this regarding access to the cleanout(s)? In other words should there be a 'clear' radius of 18" surrounding the cleanouts or am I interpreting the code incorrectly? Does a Tee do the job?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2005, 08:01 AM
    Hi Flick,

Your first cleanout should be 18" from the foundation. Then Section 704.2/ chapter 7 of the Standard Plumbing Code dictates 50' apart in horizontal drainage lines and section 704.4 says a cleanout shall be installed at each change of direction of the building drain greater then 45 degrees.
    Good luck, Tom

Oct 4, 2005, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    hi Flick,

Your first cleanout should be 18" from the foundation. then Section 704.2/ chapter 7 of the Standard Plumbing Code dictates 50' apart in horizontal drainage lines and section 704.4 says a cleanout shall be installed at each change of direction of the building drain greater then 45 degrees.
    good luck, Tom
    Tom,
    Does this mean I only need one at the exit and not anywhere else or is this the accumulated bend the code is referring to?
    Flick
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 4, 2005, 11:35 AM
    "Run from converted garage to house is approximately 34' long with around 90 degrees of bends (2-45's minus a slight angle coming out of the garage)."

Looks like a 90 degree bend to me. Regards, Tom

Oct 4, 2005, 01:11 PM
    "Run from converted garage to house is approximately 34' long with around 90 degrees of bends (2-45's minus a slight angle coming out of the garage)."

Looks like a 90 degree bend to me. Regards, Tom
    So this means another cleanout near the house? Might be obvious to you but I can lost between right after the second 45 or right before (18") the house.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 5, 2005, 07:43 AM
    Hey Flick,

Two 45's make a 90 degree bend and code calls for a cleanout at every bend greater then 45 degrees. How ever I consider that overkill, ( as I do a lot of code restrictions) so if you're not permitted and there won't be a inspection Just skip it. If you did pull a permit check local codes for a exemption. Cheers, Tom

Oct 5, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Hey Flick,

Two 45's make a 90 degree bend and code calls for a cleanout at every bend greater then 45 degrees. How ever I consider that overkill, ( as I do a lot of code restrictions) so if you're not permitted and there won't be a inspection Just skip it. If you did pull a permit check local codes for a exemption. cheers, Tom
    Can always count on you. Bought the Tee's and other paraphernalia this morning so I think I’ll do it right. Thanks, again!
    theBigkill Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 10:40 AM
    Just to add id say that it would be wise (if someone hasn't said it yet) to keep the cleanout the same size as the pipe it serves, and technically a cleanout is supposed to be designed to rod in the direction of flow but I don't think the tee is a deal killer anyway.
    - good luck man

Oct 6, 2005, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by theBigkill
    just to add id say that it would be wise (if someone hasnt said it yet) to keep the cleanout the same size as the pipe it serves, and technically a cleanout is supposed to be designed to rod in the direction of flow but i dont think the tee is a deal killer anyways.
    - good luck man
    Thank you. This one looks like it's made for cleanouts... don't remember the name, though.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 6, 2005, 12:44 PM
    Flick,
    " This one looks like it's made for cleanouts...don't remember the name, though."
    If it's a tee with a cleanout cover already installed then you have a "clean out tee" that we use mainly on vertical stacks for a first floor or basement inside cleanout. We don't use them much outside in a trench because covering the trench tends to hide them. We use a combination wye and eighth bend, (or in the case of a shallow trench a sanitary tee) on the sewer line and raise to a cleanout set at ground level.
    Cheers, Tom

Oct 6, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Flick,
    " This one looks like it's made for cleanouts...don't remember the name, though."
    If it's a tee with a cleanout cover already installed then you have a "clean out tee" that we use mainly on vertical stacks for a first floor or basement inside cleanout. We don't use them much outside in a trench because covering the trench tends to hide them. We use a combination wye and eighth bend, (or in the case of a shallow trench a sanitary tee) on the sewer line and raise to a cleanout set at ground level.
    Cheers, Tom
    Tom,
    It's a Nibco 5811-C Two-way cleanout. Did I do good? Hope so... have to pick these things up when Home Depot has them in stock!
    Flick
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 7, 2005, 12:38 PM
    It's a Nibco 5811-C Two-way cleanout. Did I do good? Hope so... have to pick these things up when Home Depot has them in stock!
    Flick

Two way cleanout tees should be installed only in the center of a long sewer run where you may have to snake back to the house. It is not advisable to snake against the flow inside the confines of the house drainage system. I have seen plumbers who have sent a heavy sewer snake back into the house, came up under a toilet and broke the bowl. We use sanitary tee or combo to direct the snake outwards with the flow once it gets into the sewer pipe. Regards, Tom

Oct 7, 2005, 12:47 PM
    It's a Nibco 5811-C Two-way cleanout. Did I do good? Hope so...have to pick these things up when Home Depot has them in stock!
    Flick

Two way cleanout tees should be installed only in the center of a long sewer run where you may have to snake back to the house. It is not advisable to snake against the flow inside the confines of the house drainage system. I have seen plumbers who have sent a heavy sewer snake back into the house, came up under a toilet and broke the bowl. We use sanitary tee or combo to direct the snake outwards with the flow once it gets into the sewer pipe. regards, Tom
    Well Tom; I'll take your advice and trade these in for 2 sanitary tee's. Good thing I have to go to Home Depot anyway. Thanks... I can picture a broken toilet... what's worse is picturing me on it when the snake comes through! ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search