Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
    From my perspective, number three is the most interesting and worthwhile to do in terms of doing it in some sort of hands-on type of medium. But, in order to paint it, that is a lot of detail that needs to be worked out. Numbers one or two would seem to be easier to do as far as painting. Just my opinion.
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Dec 18, 2007, 02:03 PM
    I know what your talking about but I'm not sure I could do it. How do you do it? Is it down in layers? Do you have to water down the colors significantly so as not to lose the color underneigth the ice?

I was thinking about two clough but I'm not sure I could paint the ice up close like that. As said I've never painted ice... snow yes, but ice no.
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
    In my opinion, the number of shadings and colors that you would have to do with number two would make it much easier to do. I don't think that you have to be concerned about seeing anything through the ice. I would just water down the color to make the ice look as crystalline as possible. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure that Jan knows a lot more about that then I do.
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:46 PM
    Bi, Floating color:

1. Dilute the paint with water to ink consistency, and mix it well.

2. Load one corner of a flat or angular shader brush by dipping it into the diluted paint.

3. Blend the paint by wiping the brush on your palette until the color gradually fades to the opposite side.

This is so that the concentration of color is only on one side which allows for highlighting or shading. Sorry I dropped out for a bit. I had to wash my hair to get ready to go to the Nursing Home to help my mother with dinner and bed time. I posted how I do the technique in depth earlier on a different post but can't locate that particular post. I will look for it later when I get back home.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Bi, I looked back at your photos just now and you would need to float both sides of each limb after painting the limbs but it would be an effective way to show the ice. I will check back tonight if you should have any other questions that I might be able to help with. I know there are others here that might be able to give you better information but for now... I will say... until later then!
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Bi, a link that might prove beneficial!! :)

How I Float Color with Acrylic Paint - Margot A. Clark, Inc

Clough, thanks for the vote of confidence! I needed that today! :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Hey,
    Loved the ice storm pics....beautiful.I think you could crop some of them and make it more interesting.:)

Jan,
    Loved your artwork....precise and beautiful as usual.
    http://www.junglesnafus.com/chapter14.htm
    Native American Buckskin Clothing
    Minnetarees
    History of the American West, 1860-1920: Photographs from the Collection of the Denver Public Library: Subjects: 163
    The American West - Native Americans

I hope one of these links would be of help to you...
    FB, it is so great seeing you on this thread at the same time I am on here! Thank you for your compliment on the piece I just posted, "Breezy Point Bungalow".

Also, as always, you are right on que with your help finding links. Those were great. Thanks so much. Better get off here now and get in gear for the evening but, again, fun seeing you on here with us. Difficult with our time differences but refreshing. :)

Dec 19, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Thanks so much rebel you're a great help!! I have decided to do the one with the building behind it. Mostly because the only other one I though I could paint was the second one but my teacher said and I qoute "It makes a great photograph! But it would not do as a landscape painting". So the 3rd one it is! So far I'm just putting down the base color (I decided that with the color of the bricks that yellow ocar would work best). I'm finding painting on canvas really difficult though!! Putting down this first coat of paint is really hard! I think I liked painting on the boards better >.< they didn't soak up the paint!
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BiWiccanAndProud
    Thanks so much rebel your a great help!!! I have decided to do the one with the building behind it. Mostly because the only other one I though I could paint was the second one but my teacher said and I qoute "It makes a great photograph! But it would not do as a landscape painting". So the 3rd one it is! So far I'm just putting down the base color (I decided that with the color of the bricks that yellow ocar would work best). I'm finding painting on canvas really difficult though!!! Putting down this first coat of paint is really hard! I think I liked painting on the boards better >.< they didn't soak up the paint!
    Sure, you're welcome! It helps to get other's input on projects, that's for sure. You are right, some photographs don't translate well on canvas but are gorgeous photos and those photos are gorgeous!

I know what you mean about the canvas. One thing I do is purchase the "smooth" canvas but if it is still has too much texture, just put a coat or two of Gesso over it, let dry between coats and can even sand with a light buff between coats for an even smoother surface. Sometimes, I like a lot of texture in the canvas and sometimes not, depending on project. If I am going to have the piece scanned and Giclee prints made, masonite board would work better but for an original piece, I love canvas with the Gallery Wrap.

Please post your work and let us see at least a few while in progress. I am anxious to see it. I look forward to seeing what you do with this piece! Happy Painting!! :)

I would like to see the finished project you were working on, can't recall the name, but was a rendition I believe of Madonna and Child??
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 03:46 PM
    [QUOTE=bushg]

Tried to send you a PM but says your box is full. I will try again later. :)

Dec 21, 2007, 09:03 AM
    There is Gesso on it, it's still a pain though, and I made it as smooth as I could. I got the experience of MAKING my own canvas. It's a great deal of work, but when I started on the painting it was with a canvas that wasn't mine! Someone else accidentally took mine and I got theirs! Mine was all smooth and ready, but this person's wasn't and I had to smooth it with sandpaper all over again!

It's really good so far guys! As soon as I can I will post a picture of it! I have so far gotten the fences done, the sidewalk, and some of the trees between the brick walls done. It took me four hours just to do that! It looks really good though! My micelangolo was terrible, but that's cause I'm bad with people, landscapes though I can do ;)

Dec 21, 2007, 10:23 AM
    The reason I found it terrible bushg was cause I'm terrible with shading... and skin tones >.< I spent about 2 weeks just on their skin before I got it right. That's 5 class periods with my art teacher, our class are an hour and a half long! It was so hard for me, I've never been to good with people except with drawing anime. Thank you though for your compliment ^.^
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Jan 4, 2008, 04:11 AM
    Hey everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful holiday! I've missed you all, and now that my internet is running again, I should be on more often. HUGS!
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 11:27 AM
    Gosh Erica, long time no see! Sure is nice to hear from you again! Happy Holidays to you!
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Welcome back Erica! Hope to see some inspired works of art from you soon. :)

"HAPPY NEW YEAR"!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Here's a few things I have around and on disc

Will post more as I gather stuff

Name:  cropped.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0452 copy_edited-1 resized.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  227.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0233 crop resized.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Mother and Son 11-13, 1 day old copy.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0139-mod resized.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  83.8 KB
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    heres a few things i have around and on disc

will post more as i gather stuff

Name:  cropped.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0452 copy_edited-1 resized.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  227.7 KB

Name:  DSC_0233 crop resized.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  Mother and Son 11-13, 1 day old copy.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0139-mod resized.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  83.8 KB
    Hi there! Loved your post. I would like to read a little detail on each attachment. The first one appears to be computerized art from a photograph, is that correct? The tree is just amazing. I loved seeing all your work. Please do give us a little information on each when you have time. Thank you.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 01:17 PM
    Rank amateur here, most of the stuff I have is dig photog

First is a cropped dig pic of my son, and there was some photoshop processing... think I threw on a layer over the top, fairly transparent dry brushed if I remember, no color enhancements.

Second is a tree that's on the outside corner of a shed in rural Mississippi, wife's grandparents home... ill attach the original photo. I like the shed, but the light is pretty harsh and I just had time to take a quick shot or two. Again, photoshop processed for sepia filter and some other layers to texture it a bit. Again, I do what I like to it... not necessarily what a pro might do. Still learning the basics.

Third is a string of big bobbers or floats, each about a foot and a half in diameter that were hung on the backside of the shed. Processed again for the effect I thought looked interesting.

Next is my son again, one day old. Again photoshopped. The processing is never, ever satisfactory when it comes to freehand artistic stuff... but again, it took a pic that wasn't optimal and hid some of the imperfections and made something different and interesting. This is one I'm hoping to do a version of freehand at some point.

Last is dig pic of a tree outside my house after the ice storm came through about 2 months ago.

Most of what I have is pics or processed pics. A few pencil pieces. We'll see what I can find.

Here's the original shed pic with the tree...
    Name:  DSC_0452 resized.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  242.2 KB

And the original of the floats on the back of the shed.

Name:  DSC_0233 resized.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  239.2 KB

Open to suggestions and comments, and negative critical comments are always welcome. Always nice to know what others would do differently.
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    rank amateur here, most of the stuff i have is dig photog

first is a cropped dig pic of my son, and there was some photoshop processing... think i threw on a layer over the top, fairly transparent dry brushed if i remember, no color enhancements.

second is a tree thats on the outside corner of a shed in rural mississippi, wifes grandparents home ... ill attach the original photo. i like the shed, but the light is pretty harsh and i just had time to take a quick shot or two. again, photoshop processed for sepia filter and some other layers to texture it a bit. again, i do what i like to it... not necessarily what a pro might do. still learning the basics.

third is a string of big bobbers, each about a foot and a half in diameter that were hung on the backside of the shed. processed again for the effect i thought looked interesting.

next is my son again, one day old. again photoshopped. the processing is never, ever satisfactory when it comes to freehand artistic stuff... but again, it took a pic that wasnt optimal and hid some of the imperfections and made something different and interesting. this is one im hoping to do a version of freehand at some point.

last is dig pic of a tree outside my house after the ice storm came through about 2 months ago.

most of what i have is pics or processed pics. a few pencil pieces. we'll see what i can find.

heres the original shed pic with the tree...
    Name:  DSC_0452 resized.JPG
Views: 370
Size:  242.2 KB

and the original of the floats on the back of the shed.

Name:  DSC_0233 resized.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  239.2 KB

open to suggestions and comments, and neg critical comments are always welcome. always nice to know what others would do differently.
    Thank you for sharing information on each attachment. Hey kp2171, I would not rank you as an amateur. I love each piece, the original and the artistic version. I have a friend in Tulsa who does computer art and does really well at the "Fine Art" shows. It definitely takes talent. I have tried my hand at it but not much good so I will just enjoy viewing your and Nick's and others who just do amazing work. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Viewing other's art always inspires me to get busy with my art. Thank you for that also. :p
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2008, 02:19 PM
    Looks very artistic and sensitive to design to me, kp2171! Great Job! :)

The clarity in your images is also great! What kind of camera did you use?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search