Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    Superb jrebel, I love it, and the special thought and sweet story that comes with it. I have enjoyed viewing it, can't wait to see more....
    Got some stuff together to start my new little cross stitch thingy! I can't wait to get started, I have to run to the fabric store and get a few little things, but then I will be on my way to a new and fun project! Love it jrebel, love it!! Looks like it took a lot of time and patience! Great work!
    Thank you Start for the kind words! I am anxious to see your new project. Anyone who can work with thread, has my admiration. :)
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 09:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    wow jrebel thats awesome
    you continue to amaze me with your art :)
    keep it coming.
    In art lately we have been learning and media testing with felting, estapol, dissolvable vilene, batik, salting, dies, etc.
    not my usual area, but i suppose i can handle it and do something with it.
    Cal, thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

By getting thrown into working with new mediums, you may just find a whole new avenue for your creativity. Anxious to see your new work. :)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 11:11 PM
    My latest puttering... a virtual AMHD flower delivery for everyone.

Pic of the flowers that'll be on my wife's vanity on valentines morning. As usual with me, photoshopped for softening, contrast, and some texture. Putting the real deal on her vanity, and a pic in a frame for her work.

Happy valentines day.

Top pic is "original" with the slightest lightening (taken in mid-low light), bottom is processed for some grain that isn't showing on screen well and burlap texture. Probably not going to use that one.

Name:  DSC_0017-2 resized.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  89.1 KB
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kp2171
    my latest puttering...

pic of the flowers that'll be on my wifes vanity on valentines morning. as usual with me, photoshopped for softening, contrast, and some texture. putting the real deal on her vanity, and a pic in a frame for her work.

happy valentines day.

Name:  DSC_0017 copy-second edit resized 2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  184.9 KB
    "HAPPY VALENTINE"S DAY" to you also!

I have been wondering when we would get to see some of your work. You are not only creative in your art but in your love and that is heart warming. Your wife is going to fall in love with you all over again! Thank you for sharing! :)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Thanks.

Tried to switch out pics for a better one, but now I have multiples. Top is the original with very minor lightening, bottom has multiple layers, and while I favored this at first, the texture is too much. I can tell already I'm not going to use it. I have about 4-5 versions that will be printed, each with different processing... so we will see which one "wins" out... I'm hoping for less processed, but the area in which I took the pics had some surface blemishes, and I had limited time to minimize shadows, so we'll see what it looks like. While I sometimes prefer some of the processing effects, honestly it often helps me deal with imperfections and "problem" areas in the pics when I don't have time to take a lot of shots or do a lot of adjustments.

The colors on film are always more vibrant than on my old screen, and darker pics on screen tend to look lighter as well... so sometimes I know nothing until the pic is in hand.

All I know is in two hours something will be framed and done. A little last minute, but I hadn't planned on doing this until I liked the arrangement. I need to practice more still life.

*fyi - top shot was selected after printing. Was great with low light so the flowers lacked extreme "photographic" detail, but enough soft light to have some contrast... the pic looks softer on film*
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Feb 14, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Awesome pics!
    Sure she will love them :)
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 17, 2008, 07:59 PM
    I like how well the red works with the blue bottle supported by the warm white tulips. And the crisp green makes the simplicity of the arrangement very elegant. Did you select the tulip colors based on their aesthetic appeal or do they have a symbolic meaning?
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
    Kp, don't leave us blowin' in the wind here. How did your wife enjoy her gifts of flowers and photo for her office? Not asking personal here, just wanting to know she appreciated the effort that went into the gift. :p

My sister-in-law loves anything with strawberries on it so I painted her an Ostrich Egg with strawberries. It isn't one of my best or favorites but she enjoyed receiving it. I did like the back of it. I did a wash of three colors then using the dots, along with the natural pebble like texture, it almost appears to be quilted. The greens were a little brighter and deeper than I wanted but tried many other combination of colors and this is just what I ended up with.

I enjoy so much seeing everyone posting art work. As I said, this isn't my best but wanted to share.

The one with the cardinals was commissioned. Seems I work a lot in areas not my forte but then, we never know until we try, right?
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2008, 02:37 AM
    It's so true that we never do know until we try..!
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 18, 2008, 09:12 AM
    Jrebel--love the strawberries--great composition! Cardinals have a great atmosphere. The stylization of the tree branches makes a nice clean pattern. Reminds me of a Japanese print.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Feb 19, 2008, 03:05 AM
    Jrebel those look awesome :)
    As usual I am in awe of your artistic skills
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    jrebel those look awesome :)
    as usual i am in awe of your artistic skills
    I second that! ;) (Hi Cal)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2008, 12:11 PM
    Hi Cal,Jan,Clough,Kp,start... and all others here...

Jan, I loved your beautiful work! As always you amaze me with your detailed work...

Kp,very creative.. :)

Start,Nice to see you back;)

Good to see this thread going strong still.
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:03 PM
    I need help on finding the right "decoration" between the lettering of the thingy I am working on... Hand sewn hearts, stars, or flowers? I just don't know, I am almost done with half then I will work on the rest...
    AND, I just found out that it isn't even cross stitch, it's more like needle point... LOL
    Silly, I suppose but I am not real serious till I see the finish product, I found out that I like the fast endings too, I like to work till it's done so I may be up all night, we will see! :). Just needed to rant a bit. Done now! Hugs and love to all of you, you do great work!
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by startover22
    I need help on finding the right "decoration" between the lettering of the thingy I am working on...Hand sewn hearts, stars, or flowers? I just don't know, I am almost done with half then I will work on the rest....
    AND, I just found out that it isn't even cross stitch, it's more like needle point...LOL
    Silly, I suppose but I am not real serious till I see the finish product, I found out that I like the fast endings too, I like to work till it's done so I may be up all night, we will see! :). just needed to rant a bit. Done now! hugs and love to all of you, you do great work!
    Hey there Start! I hope you will post some "work in progress" pics and then of the finished prdoduct. I think maybe I had said earlier "If you can glue it I can do it" but thread and I?? Oh how I admire those who can work with thread. Keep us posted on your new project! Please?

I have no idea the difference between cross stick and needle point... well, I would make the assumption that cross stitch might be a crossing of thread but couldn't prove it by me!! :confused: I look forward to seeing images. :p
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, it would be good to see some of your art posted startover22! I would really enjoy that! Do you already have some images of things that you have done? What is it with wood that you do? Doing things with wood is really the element that I am most comfortable working with as far as the visual arts are concerned.
    Originally Posted by startover22
    I should rephrase this... instead of getting my art on, I should get my creativity on. I sure do enjoy free hand cross stitching, each time I do one, I feel there is improvement in the next... I haven't ever taken pics. I suppose I could do one maybe very soon. I will take a pic when I am done.

With the wood, I love to do stencils and some painting, or just stripping down an old piece of furniture and painting it. I haven' done any of that in a long time. Not enough kid free time for that right now. I love to make antique looking signs, and now that I am talking about it, I miss it so much. I am getting all excited... tomorrow I shall go old barn wood hunting!
    As far as carving wood, sharpening a good marshmallow stick is as far as I go with that.. Heehee!

Firmy, you know I just love your YouTube link, it is so relaxing!
    Origianlly Posted by Clough
    Do you have a digital camera, start?

I too, love to refinish furniture. I have posted some images already on this thread.
    Origianally Posted by startover22
    I do have a digital camera.
    I wonder if I missed that post. There was a very busy time where you all were posting so much so fast, I tried to get through the whole thing but...
    I will look and see if I can't find it.
    To startover22:

Here is the link to the page on this thread where I posted some images of a table that I refinished.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/art/ar...133294-33.html
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 09:30 AM
    Jan, thanks, I am not going to get real serious as if I do it comes out perfect and I like the kind of messy look best with these type of things. It is more like a sampler... but as simple as can be so the message stays clear. It takes a bit of time, but not because I am careful, it just takes time. I am a fast worker so perfection is not my thing, not sure why I can't take on a project like most of you, maybe that is why I like old ratty things.
    Clough your table, wow... very good work, I had a few pieces I re did in Alaska, and now I wish I had taken before and after pictures. I started making old things look brand new, then I found new things and made them look old. I fell in love with the chipped paint and the wear on the knob from someone using it so much that you could see it right there. I love antiques and pretty things. You did a really fine job on the table Clough... I suppose I could do that to my drop leaf table, but I kind of like the scratches and chips... (maybe after the kids leave the house I will re do all of my pieces, then I wouldn't worry if they will scratch it up or not!)
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:38 AM
    startover22 agrees: Clough I am in love with drop leaf tables! You did a very lovely job! Cool, thanks for sharing with me!
    Hey, thanks starover22 for the compliment! Much appreciated! I do have many more before and after pictures of items of furniture that I have refinished. But, I am going to wait to post them on a new thread such as this, and/or one that is devoted to the refinishing projects that people have done. I would greatly enjoy sharing with you about the ins and outs of refinishing, if you would like. I have been doing it a very long time now.

I do understand what you mean about liking things that have some imperfections in them. Liking them and recognizing their beauty as such, is an art and also reflects an appreciation that you have for the character that a piece has because of the way that it looks according to the use that it has had through the decades. There are a lot of antiques that we would dare not to change the appearance of, because doing so would destroy the integrity of the piece.

I remember years ago, a table that my old orchestra director from high school and his wife had in their kitchen. There was a notch that was left in the edge of the table. Having the notch there always seemed to bring questions from people who saw the table, even though the table was beautifully refinished. But, there was this notch in it...

The notch was where the previous owners had always cut the chicken's heads off!

That was a table with character and a story behind it!
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Well fellow artists and art enthusiasts, this thread is winding down to a close because it will be closed at 1,500 posts. Less than 25 posts to go here. But, hopefully another thread will be started like it where we will "wind up" again with our enthusiasm for things devoted to the arts in various ways!

It's probably best that threads like this don't go on forever. After awhile, it becomes really hard to find the posts where really significant and enjoyable things to view and discuss have been posted. For instance, it took me quite awhile to find the page on this thread where I had posted the images of the table that I had refinished.

There is so much to be appreciated on this thread by those who have posted images or descriptions of their art and also the techniques that have been used to create the art! But, for the sake of clarity and cataloging, it would be best to start again and perhaps make a thread such as this one easier to follow and to find things. Maybe, renewing images and posts with helpful information within a new thread might be a possible answer to that.

This site gets excellent coverage when people do searches for answers to things on the Internet. So, I don't see a problem with posting some information again that has already been posted so that the information is easy to find, especially concerning the techniques that folks have used to create the art that they have created. It would be most helpful to people if it would be easy to find the information as to what they are looking for.
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2008, 11:14 AM
    Clough says... I do understand what you mean about liking things that have some imperfections in them. Liking them and recognizing their beauty as such, is an art and also reflects an appreciation that you have for the character that a piece has because of the way that it looks according to the use that it has had through the decades. There are a lot of antiques that we would dare not to change the appearance of, because doing so would destroy the integrity of the piece.

Start says... Ecxactly, and there are many more people startingto appreciate things that are ages, or older! I love the stories, I love the look... Just like the Chickens head being cut off (can't imagine myseflf doing that) but yes, that story is grand, and I am so glad to hear they save a part of history as simple as it was! Hugs Clough, when I need some help re doing, I know exactly who to talk to, many thanks!
    As for the thread, I too am wondering what is going to happen!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search