Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Oct 29, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Hehe I'm on here everyday pretty much looking for you guys art because its all
    Sew special! Lolz
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cal823
    hehe im on here everyday pretty much looking for you guys art coz its all
    sew special! lolz
    I "sew" appreciate your nice words!! :p You are fun Cal. I hope more artists will post work. Firm Believer hasn't posted in a while nor has Erica. I know Didi is busy and will be back later. Chek has not posted in a while as well as many others I miss! Guess what, neither have you little friend!! ;)

Hope to see your work soon!!

I think I am almost down for the count tonight. I was up until 3:30 a.m. this morning just enjoying the threads. I am usually good until 1:30 a.m. but later than that and I'm not worth much the next day. It was a long day today.

Ok, I do have some questions though Cal. Am I understanding correctly that you live in Australia?? If so, what time is it there. I meant to look up time zones but outside of the Unites States, I got kind of lost in the way it was posted on the site I checked. Can you post anything later tonight?? Hope so! I will check back tomorrow without fail! Also, it seems on this thread (and it may be much the same with the other threads, I am just not familiar with them) we are a very international group. I love diversity! What is your favorite medium in which to work?? Do you have a favorite artist or favorite art period? I look forward to your answers. See you tomorrow night on the thread?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 09:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Is this your busiest time of the year for you doing art, Jan? It must be nice to be getting commissioned to do work. A long time ago, I was commissioned to build some people a harpsichord (virginal).

The old upright piano is not finished yet. I really have to get on it!

I have a performance with the Quad City Wind Ensemble this coming Sunday. I will be playing piano and other percussion instruments in the concert. What's weird, is that I haven't been able to come to most of the rehearsals for this concert because of all the gigs that I have had on Sundays. We practice for Wind Ensemble on Sunday evenings. The piece for which I will be playing piano, I have not practiced with the group yet. It's kind of scary without having a rehearsal with the group first. We might get to run some things for about twenty minutes before the performance. But, that's about it. Usually, we have a rather long warm-up rehearsal on the day of a concert. There are about three to seven gigs a month with the big band that I play with.

Incoming from the phone, now. Gotta go.....
    Hi there Craig! To answer your question, no, this is not the busiest time of the year for me. I pace myself and say no when it gets this close. Most of my larger pieces take from 30 to 50 hours give or take. This gals sister-in-law wanted me to do a drawing of the same house. I had to say no but that I could have a print made of the one I am working on. She was happy with that. With five little ones to buy Christmas gifts for and mother in a NH to visit each evening, time is limited right now for art.

Was the piece you mentioned, the harpsichord (virginal) that you were commissioned to build the one you posted the photo of earlier? The photo was small but the piece looked beautiful.

I use to turn down commission pieces because I worried too much about the person being pleased with the piece. I generally get to a place, I know it is finished yet always seem to find ways to improve it but don't want to over work it. I came to terms with it by telling each customer how much I charge an hour and that if, when they come to view the finished piece, they are not pleased, they owe me nothing and I retain the piece. I always retain copyright on all my work. If there is a request for the copyright also, I would sell it but generally, people do not ask for that. I write short stories to go with some pieces, fictional. I always take the piece to my printer, have him scan it and make Giclee prints, greeting cards, and bookmarks, if the piece warrants that, before it is picked up.

Sounds like you are going to have to 'wing it' this time with your music performance and you know, I am sure, without a doubt, it will fly! You are a busy guy. I do not stay that busy with my art as you do with yours. I did have an art show at Utica Square in Tulsa a few weeks ago but I think I told you about that.

There are so many arts and crafts not yet shown on this thread. I was a little shy about posting my work at first so I understand some being reluctant but seems we are all a pretty open and caring group on this thread. It seems to be a safe place to put your work out there and feel it will be appreciated. Putting my work out there for viewing is not unlike feeling I am on display in the buff. It is that personal to me. May not be for others but I guess that is why I don't really enjoy doing art shows. My art almost becomes an extension of me as I am working on it yet when the person takes it, I gladly bid it farewell and feel blessed that it is going to a good home. :p

Does your music have that effect on you in that it becomes part of who you are? I would be interested to read more of what the other artists feel about this also. I am not around other artists much so I relish reading anything each of you have to share. Sorry this is an epic. I get that way late at night. I will say good night to all! See you on the thread!
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Oct 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
    It is currently 2 21 pm
    Hmmmm my fave famous artists would have to be the following
    Fondation Dubuffet
    (jean dubuffet)((his polystyrene/resin scultpures in particular)
    Salvador dali (surrealism)
    And utugawa hiroshige is pretty cool (ukiyo-e)
    Apart from that I don't know of many famous artists I am particularly interested in
    I'm thinking of looking at dada and the anti art movements, and I have been looking into aboriginal art recently for my final in school studio for the year, and there is so much more to it than I thought! Did you know all those dots, are actually a way of hiding symbolism and secrets, and were actually taugh to them by a european teacher, so they used the dots because originally they revealed too much sacred symbolisms and stuff in their art to the rest of the world (two aboriginal men were onced coaxed into doing sacred sand art which was meant for mens eyes only in their beliefs, on a big stage in front of cameras) since things like that, the dots have replaced those things so they do not reveal such things to the general public. I like the dots, its kind of on a parralell in ways to the mannikins I use. :)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Cal,
    I knew you would identify with aboriginal art.That is so "you" ;).
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrebel7
    Hi there Craig! To answer your question, no, this is not the busiest time of the year for me. I pace myself and say no when it gets this close. Most of my larger pieces take from 30 to 50 hours give or take. This gals sister-in-law wanted me to do a drawing of the same house. I had to say no but that I could have a print made of the one I am working on. She was happy with that. With five little ones to buy Christmas gifts for and mother in a NH to visit each evening, time is limited right now for art.

Was the piece you mentioned, the harpsichord (virginal) that you were commissioned to build the one you posted the photo of earlier? The photo was small but the piece looked beautiful.
    The one in the picture that I posted is one that I finished building. The one that I was asked to build for others, unfortunately I have no pictures of, I think? I'm not all that sure though. It would have been in the mid 1980's. I didn't think to take pictures of everything that was important to me or that I had crafted in some way. The pictures are of great interest to my children and a cousin of mine, also.
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Cal,
    I knew you would identify with aboriginal art. That is so "you" ;).
    Ditto that, from me!
    erlobenauer Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 30, 2007, 02:20 AM
    Hi all!
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by erlobenauer
    Hi all!
    Well hello, Erica!

Oct 30, 2007, 02:30 AM
    How are you doing today?
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:37 AM
    I'm doing okay. I'm just about ready to pack it all in and go to bed. What time is it where you are right now?

Oct 30, 2007, 02:37 AM
    1040 am!
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:41 AM
    10:40 am!
    Is that on Wednesday?

Oct 30, 2007, 02:42 AM
    On Tuesday. Clock went back an hour and in the states they don't change until the 4th
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:49 AM
    Okay. Thanks! I'm having a little trouble comprehending the time differences here.

There have been some really neat things happening in posts concerning our regulars on this thread. Some might be about being creative. Others might involve just down to earth, excellent advice. You might want to check them out by viewing the profiles as to questions that have been answered.

It's true about the clock change over here happening on the 4th. My birthday is the 5th. When is your birthday, if you don't mind my asking?

Oct 30, 2007, 02:51 AM
    My birthday is Mid July. Which I enjoy because its always nice out!
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Are things going better for you in your personal life? I hope that you don't mind me asking. I am just concerned...

Oct 30, 2007, 05:31 AM
    Actually I got some pretty bad news at the docs yesterday - which tensifies things between my spouse and I. ahhh! Haha :p
    Uber Member

Oct 31, 2007, 01:43 AM
    actually i got some pretty bad news at the docs yesterday - which tensifies things between my spouse and i. ahhh! haha :p
    I am very sorry to hear that! We don't want bad things to happen to you! Are you going to be okay?
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 12:49 AM
    Erica, are you there?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search