Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtnbkr Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Compression fitting in wall and water heater connection
    So from what I gather, it sounds like it's not recommended for in wall application. I guess I don't really need it to be in wall, and can just leave it unfinished. Just trying to hear what people think. Any code problems in Maryland?

Now for the water heater. What I'm trying to do is move my hot water heater about 4 feet over from where it currently is. I currently have all sweat connections w/ copper. I'm moving the hot water heater closer to where the copper is coming from, so will need to cut it down (does that make sense... I won't need to extend it out or anything). Therefore, what I'm thinking is I'll cut off about 4 feet, roughly the distance I want to move, then put compression to 3/4 cpvc adapters on. I don't want to make any sweat connections, since I've never done that before. Then I was going to run CPVC down from the ceiling where the copper is, down close to the water heater. From there, solvent on some npt threads (using roughly 2 wraps of teflon tape... right?), then get some flexible water heater connectors to go from there to the heater, then back out. Anything wrong with this?

Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Why convert to CPVC? Why not keep it copper to copper and use 3/4" compression couplings,(see image) if you're going to keep it out the wall?
    Good luck, Tom
    harleygirl52 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    So from what I gather, it sounds like it's not recommended for in wall application. I guess I don't really need it to be in wall, and can just leave it unfinished. Just trying to hear what people think. Any code problems in Maryland?

Now for the water heater. What I'm trying to do is move my hot water heater about 4 feet over from where it currently is. I currently have all sweat connections w/ copper. I'm moving the hot water heater closer to where the copper is coming from, so will need to cut it down (does that make sense...I won't need to extend it out or anything). Therefore, what I'm thinking is I'll cut off about 4 feet, roughly the distance I want to move, then put compression to 3/4 cpvc adapters on. I don't want to make any sweat connections, since I've never done that before. Then I was going to run CPVC down from the ceiling where the copper is, down close to the water heater. From there, solvent on some npt threads (using roughly 2 wraps of teflon tape...right?), then get some flexible water heater connectors to go from there to the heater, then back out. Anything wrong with this?

Thanks.
    Why use CPVC at all, just compression fit from the copper pipe, you can get a flexible pipe up to 2 ft. I believe, and since it is flexible it can bend to shape as needed... so, I would not cut anything until you are sure, what size flexible pipe you can buy... cutting the copper pipe maked sense, just make sure you don't cut too much... I don't see any need for CPVC... the flexible pipe with the compression fitting is attached to the copper pipe and than directly to the hot water heater either directly or with a compression fetting as well... you can ask the someone at the place you purchase the hot water heater... wwhen you say in wall fitting I suspect you mean that the pipi is inside the wall and you want to make the compression fitting on that particular pipe is that correct??

Sep 25, 2007, 03:53 AM
    I guess I can try to sweat some copper. From what someone told me at work, he recommended mapp gas as opposed to propane gas. Any thoughts on that? He said that it's much tougher now since it's lead free, and said mapp gas would make my life easier.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I guess I can try to sweat some copper. From what someone told me at work, he recommended mapp gas as opposed to propane gas. Any thoughts on that? He said that it's much tougher now since it's lead free, and said mapp gas would make my life easier.
    I don't understand. I gave you a way to connect the copper lines together without soldering. What's the problem with using brass compression couplings?
    Regards, Tom

Sep 25, 2007, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I don't understand. I gave you a way to connect the copper lines together without soldering. What's the problem with using brass compression couplings?
    Regards, Tom

I assumed that it's better to sweat the pipes together. Is that true? I thought just doing it through soldering might give me a good life skill too!
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2007, 07:07 AM
    OK I understand! Mapp or propane will give you the same results. Propane just takes a little longer t6o heat the fitting. The secret of soldering is cleaning, fluxing and heat.
    Take plumbers sand cloth and shine the pipe back a few inches and with a 1 1/2" cleaning brush shine the inside of the fitting to be soldered.
    Now paint both pipe and fitting with NoCorrode Solder paste or a acid based paste and join the pipes.
    Fire up the torch using a medium tip and apply heat to the BOTTOM of the fitting while holding the tip of your solder on TOP.
    When the solder begins to melt on top run the tip of the solder around the joint. Capillary action will suck the solder into the joint as you run the solder around the joint. Run the solder around several times and let it set it. You have just completed your solder job. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Tom's right, but I'll add something. I taught someone to solder and I allowed him to watch and do the easy joints. When I try to train someone, I'll place a piece of pipe verticle and the fitting on top. Do what Tom says in preparation, but when heating add more heat to the massive part. When the pipe is hot enough, you can remove the torch and touch the solder around the joint and it will flow UP by capillary action. This is the technique you need to master. To make it look pretty you can wipe the excess solder with a slightly damp rag.

My friend then did a plumbing project with 20 joints and no leaks.

Sep 25, 2007, 09:46 AM
    I'll get soldering a shot. Would you guys recommend the mapp or propane? Is mapp that much more?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:27 PM
    The Mapp torch is expensive and in general the valve is opened all the way. The tips control the flame size. You have to use distance to control the heat.

With propane you can throttle the flame with the valve.

I've never soft soldered pipe with MAPP. I've silver soldered with MAPP and Oxygen and Acetelene and Oxygen and MAPP.

I've done some quartz glass work with Oxygen/Hydrogen.

My vote is for Propane.

Reminder: Don't solder anywhere near the inlet/outlet of the water heater. There are plastic inserts that will be damaged.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 12:20 AM
    Why don't you use the Shark Bite coupliings

Sep 27, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid
    The Mapp torch is expensive and in general the valve is opened all the way. The tips control the flame size. You have to use distance to control the heat.

With propane you can throttle the flame with the valve.

I've never soft soldered pipe with MAPP. I've silver soldered with MAPP and Oxygen and Acetelene and Oxygen and MAPP.

I've done some quartz glass work with Oxygen/Hydrogen.

My vote is for Propane.

Reminder: Don't solder anywhere near the inlet/outlet of the water heater. There are plastic inserts that will be damaged.

The mapp is mighty expensive at my local stores. I might end up with propane... still not 100% decided.

Thanks for the tip on the inlet/outlet for the water heater. I read that on another forum as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compression Fitting Leaking: [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, Tried to search, but didn't see an answer: I removed an old compression fitting from a 1/2" copper tube, and cut the tube using a tube cutter. It was a pretty old tube, so it had some crud on the outside. I sanded it down with some 100 grain sand paper and then tried to fit it with a...

Tips on copper compression fitting? [ 11 Answers ]

My problem is whenever I work with coppoer compression fittings, I never seem to get a good seal and something always leaks. Are there any tips on how to do it right? Should I use a hack saw verse my Reciprocating Saw to cut the tube? (SLow vs Fast). I know the cut has to be straight, then...

Stand Pipe Compression Fitting [ 5 Answers ]

Where can I buy a stand pipe compression fitting like the one in the pic? Thanks Scott

Compression Fitting Assistance [ 1 Answers ]

Tom, Exactly how does the hose from the washing machine fit in to the compression fitting? I bought a compression fitting today but when I put the hose from the washing machine in to it, it's not tight. The supply house gave me 3 different rubber washers but none are tight. Am I doing something...

Compression fitting on soft cooper pipe [ 5 Answers ]

Is it possible to install a 3/4" valve with compression fitting on soft cooper tubing 3/4" as well? Will it fit? Will it hold? Tank you

View more questions Search