Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    halpernjb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Downspout size
    Is 3" large enough for a downspout? Should it be the same size as the gutter?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Sep 24, 2007, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by halpernjb
    Is 3" large enough for a downspout? should it be the same size as the gutter?
    Three inches should be good.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
    Downspouts are not the same size as the gutter. 3" is the norm for most buildings but you'd need to go larger if this where a barn or commercial building.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Sorry about the earlier post don't know what I saw but the word "gutter"... lol

A 2" X 3" spout is normal in most areas,a 3" X 4" spout is used for high water areas and light commercial applications.
    fizzlebent Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Dec 2, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Hal, I would recommend using nothing but 3x4 downspouts especially if you have a lot of trees around your home or building that you are installing gutters and D/S. They tend not to get plugged up at the downspout area as easily as smaller D/S. The company that I work for installs a lot of Gutters every yr. and we don't install any thing now but large D/S and Gutters.

Hope this helps
    Tony A Cobb Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 10:17 AM
    In the northern climates a 2x3 Downspout can handle 600 square feet of roof drainage area. Down South they require 3x4 and use 6" Gutter and larger. California uses only 1x2 downspouts. So it is really about how roof is being drained. How much rain your location gets (ie what part of the country) If you tell me that I can help you with exact downspout requirements. Source National Rain Gutter Contractor Association. Nrgca.org
    Noway000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2011, 12:19 PM
    Depends on avg. rainfall for your location, size of roof area being drained, spacing between downspouts, and total number of downspouts. This website (http://northclad.com/gutter-sizing-calculator/) has a calculator that lets you put in the variables then see your options.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Full size headboard, Queen size bed Frame [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy attachments that will allow me to fasten my full size headboard to my queen size bedframe? I am having a bit of trouble finding one.

Redirecting downspout (diverting) [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Due to recent heavy rains, the drain in my backyard doesn't empty quickly enough and result ends up being the water backflows (?) through my shower in the basement. Used to be the toilet but the shower there is now at a lower level than the toilet. So, my question is... the downspout...

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

Right Size? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Has anyone tried right size? It's some kind of weight loss smoothy or drink or something. I was wondering if anyone has tried it, how it tasted, and if it worked? Thanks...

View more questions Search