Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2005, 07:12 PM
    Using DVD-RAM recorder to skip TV commercials
    Several ads seem to say that if your DVD recorder will record on DVD-RAM that you can record and watch TV at the same time and fast forward past the commercials. Am I reading these ads correctly? The Pansonic DMR-ES10S at about $199 will record on DVD-RAM. There are DVD recorders that also have 60 and more gigabite hard drives.I guess this is not a requirement to record and watch simultaneously? This Pansonic will also record DVD-R and there are these DVD's available for about 50 cents for about 4.5 GB. So 80GB could be stored for about $10. I guess storing on a hard drive might be more convenient; until the hard drive was full. Is there another advantage to the hard drive?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2005, 03:56 AM
    What will happen is that the DVD recorded will be playing a recorded show from some inbuilt memory (hard drive for example). At the same time, it'll be recording onto a DVD. So yes, you should be able to watch one while recording another. Don't expect to be able to watch and record from the same DVD at the same time. That would be a big strain on the machine.

As for the advantages of having a hard drive based recorder:

• More storage room
    • No need to keep buying DVD's - you can keep things on the hard drive.
    • DVD's can get scratched quite easily. Corrupting the data on a hard drive is harder. So programs on the hard drive based player are safer.
    • No need to get up, change DVD etc.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2005, 04:45 AM
    DVD recorders
    Hi,
    Here is a link with the top 10 DVD recorders, both CD-RW recording and hard drive recording. If you wish to view it, click on "Read Reviews" which also shows everything each of these can do, step-by-step.

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/topp...vdrecorder.htm

I would definitely go with the hard drive recording, if I were buying one.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 1, 2005, 07:20 AM
    I've never read anything about using DVD-RAM disks to fast forward past commericals during recording. You can during playback. In fact, many DVD players have a commercial skip button which will jump ahead 30 seconds with each press.

The main advantage of a hard drive equipped recorder is that it allows for pause and replay of live action. The recording continues while you review what has already been recorded. The other advantage is that it allows you to record a lot of stuff such as while on vacation. But eventually you will want to erase or burn to DVD and then erase.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2005, 12:06 PM
    Hmmm
    Nicg, not too sure about the DVD-RAM... unless the mfg'rs are thinking that everyone has the bank account of your run-of-the-mill millionaire, I suspect the mfg'rs are really talking cache memory.

Case in point. Encoded MPEG-2 for NTSC (30fps) is minimal 210Mbps. Alternately, for 1 second of uncompressed video info is approx 30MB (640x480) or 80MB (1280x720). A Gig of RAM will store approx 10-30 seconds of video data. You do the math - then multiply the total GB/TB by the cost per GB of RAM and you roughly estimate the max amount of RAM needed to store your video data... Oh yeah, don't forget to add room for audio. :o

One can easily begin to understand why digitally compressed audio/video is the only realistic choice for consumer.

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by nicg
    Several ads seem to say that if your DVD recorder will record on DVD-RAM that you can record and watch TV at the same time and fast forward past the commercials. Am I reading these ads correctly? The Pansonic DMR-ES10S at about $199 will record on DVD-RAM. There are DVD recorders that also have 60 and more gigabite hard drives.I guess this is not a requirement to record and watch simultaneously? This Pansonic will also record DVD-R and there are these DVD's available for about 50 cents for about 4.5 GB. So 80GB could be stored for about $10. I guess storing on a hard drive might be more convenient; until the hard drive was full. Is there another advantage to the hard drive?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 commercials [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I hope someone can help me. I'm looking for 2 commercial clips. I do Presentations for Tahitian Noni Juice and could really use these in my training presentation. The first commercial is this guy who has a nice house, nice family, belongs to a country club and he says that he is in...

Television commercials [ 3 Answers ]

Could someone please tell me the name of the product on the TV commercial with the song "Anything you can do I can do better..."? Thank you.

DVD Player/Recorder [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the process of purchasing a DVD Player that has the capability of "recording" at the same time. Can anyone help me find a quality (proven) device? I would appreciate hearing your recommendations! Thanks. Ponton

Internet time recorder [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any free programme which records the daily total time the internet is used by one.

View more questions Search