Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Sep 26, 2007, 09:27 AM
    DC,

I, too, feel for them--almost as strongly as I feel for my own family.

All the more reason to eradicate as many terrorists as possible, as quickly as possible, so as to minimize the suffering that the innocents most certainly do endure.

That's the difference between us and the bad guys: we care about those innocents and their most fundamental right to life, and yes, to freedom. The terrorists do not. The innocents are mere pawns for them, poker chips to be used against any compassionate person who would stand in their way. That is no way for a human to live.

I could take this a step further and say that it's long past high time for folks living in the Middle East to take one side or the other. If a person is for the terrorists, fine. Go join them. If a person is against the terrorists, great! Become proactive and fight them. Maybe not on the streets with guns (although that works pretty darn well), but fight them with words, with their faith. Show the world that the terrorists are indeed outcasts and not part of mainstream thought.

The battle is raging; all must choose a side.

DK
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kindj
    DC,

I, too, feel for them--almost as strongly as I feel for my own family.

All the more reason to eradicate as many terrorists as possible, as quickly as possible, so as to minimize the suffering that the innocents most certainly do endure.

That's the difference between us and the bad guys: we care about those innocents and their most fundamental right to life, and yes, to freedom. The terrorists do not. The innocents are mere pawns for them, poker chips to be used against any compassionate person who would stand in their way. That is no way for a human to live.

I could take this a step further and say that it's long past high time for folks living in the Middle East to take one side or the other. If a person is for the terrorists, fine. Go join them. If a person is against the terrorists, great! Become proactive and fight them. Maybe not on the streets with guns (although that works pretty darn well), but fight them with words, with their faith. Show the world that the terrorists are indeed outcasts and not part of mainstream thought.

The battle is raging; all must choose a side.

DK
    DK

I don’t think we are talking about choosing sides here; I thought we were talking about means to the same end. I prefer the Israeli method... assassination.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 26, 2007, 10:54 AM
    The thing that I find sad about our fellow citizens who are Left of Center, is their apparent prime directive to point out the shortcomings, mistakes, and evils of the United States, to the exclusion of all else. When asked a point blank question: is Ahmadinejad a bad person whose actions harm this country and the stability of the civilized world? They sidestep that topic entirely and point to the "sins" of the US. The ovations received by Ahmadinejad at Columbia, I am certain did not come from Conservatives.

I believe that members of the Left consider themselves intellectually superior to the plodding Conservatives. Some of their posts have been about as clear as a quatrain by Nostradamus. I realize that admitting this shows my lack of intellect, but at times it is just better to say what you mean, without forcing us pedestrians to guess.

In any discussion, I try to find as much common ground with my opponent as possible, and work to find the core of disagreement. Some of you refuse to concede even the most minor point, as if you fear that such a concession will destroy your whole argument. Trust me, it won't
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    The thing that I find sad about our fellow citizens who are Left of Center, is their apparent prime directive to point out the shortcomings, mistakes, and evils of the United States, to the exclusion of all else. When asked a point blank question: is Ahmadinejad a bad person whose actions harm this country and the stability of the civilized world? They sidestep that topic entirely and point to the "sins" of the US. The ovations received by Ahmadinejad at Columbia, I am certain did not come from Conservatives.

I believe that members of the Left consider themselves intellectually superior to the plodding Conservatives. Some of their posts have been about as clear as a quatrain by Nostradamus. I realize that admitting this shows my lack of intellect, but at times it is just better to say what you mean, without forcing us pedestrians to guess.

In any discussion, I try to find as much common ground with my opponent as possible, and work to find the core of disagreement. Some of you refuse to concede even the most minor point, as if you fear that such a concession will destroy your whole argument. Trust me, it won't
    While I agree with about some of our fellow citizens who are Left of Center, and their apparent prime directive to point out the shortcomings, mistakes, and evils of the United States, to the exclusion of all else; I would point out that some of our fellow citizens just to the Right of Center, appear to follow another prime directive: to admit to no evils committed by the United States, or try and justify them.

I agree with you 100% in regards to finding as much common ground as possible.

As Noam Chomsky said, and I agree to: "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all.":)
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Sep 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
    I erred by making my statements all inclusive. Rather than the word "some", I would have used "many" or "most".

I believe that ALL of us who have participated in this thread hold dear the rights guaranteed by the First Amendment; yes, even those on the Right. Probably a number of the Founding Fathers expressed their support for this right with greater eloquence than Noam Chomsky. If I were to pick a person to quote, who happened to agree with me on that particular point, I probably would not pick George Lincoln Rockwell or John Birch. I consider those three individuals to be cut from the same cloth.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
    One day the Americans will realise it's not about America. Ahamadjidad is a lunatic member of a lunatic organisation and leader of a lunatic state. Iran is amerophobic and paranoid, dangerous combinations when there is a large american force on its borders
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete
    one day the Americans will realise it's not about America. Ahamadjidad is a lunatic member of a lunatic organisation and leader of a lunatic state. Iran is amerophobic and paranoid, dangerous combinations when there is a large american force on its borders
    Huh? Americans are about America.

Bobby
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 07:57 AM
    one day the Americans will realise it's not about America. Ahamadjidad is a lunatic member of a lunatic organisation and leader of a lunatic state. Iran is amerophobic and paranoid, dangerous combinations when there is a large american force on its borders
    I agree to the extent that a great many Political leaders in America are unable, or unwilling to see the world from any point of view but their own. Justification aside, if China invaded Mexico, and displaced the government, would America play dead?
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Sep 27, 2007, 05:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    I agree to the extent that a great many Political leaders in America are unable, or unwilling to see the world from any point of view but their own. Justification aside, if China invaded Mexico, and displaced the government, would America play dead?
    I'm very much for concentrating on the home front, but if China ever got that close, I'd bet the majority of liberals would abandon their pacifist position for reality in hope to keep their freedoms.

Bobby
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 30, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Ahmadinejad is a douche bag. He's crazy and murderous. Not to mention fiercely anti-Western.
    americangayboy Posts: 220, Reputation: 38

Sep 30, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I don't know if the people of Iran are quite as nutso as their leader. I think the young people are far less anti-American than we want to believe. I recently read an article (source unknown... it was at the dentist office) about how the youth love western culture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search