Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannypooh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Daimler Company v Continental Tyre [1916] 2 AC 307
    I am having a problem understanding the case and its relation to piercing the corporate veil. Can I get an explanation please

Thank u
    Shannypooh
    jsaniya Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Daimler Co Ltd v Continental Tyre and Rubber (GB) Ltd (1916)
    C sued D for debts owing. C was a UK company; however all
    Shareholders but one) were German. D argued that they should not pay
    The debt to German individuals to prevent money going towards
    Germany's war effort. The court held that C was German.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Oct 2, 2009, 12:41 AM

I wish to reproduce from the study text prepared by BPP.

In time of war it is not permitted to trade with 'enemy aliens'. The courts may draw aside the veil if, despite a company being registered in the United Kingdom, it is suspected that it is controlled by the aliens. The court may then determine the owners' nationality.

The facts are correctly stated by jasniya. However, the court held that the plaintiff "D need not discharge a debt to the defendants since the effective control of the latter "C" was in enemy hands and hence to do so would be to trade with the enemy.
    jlkwarteng Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 03:50 AM
    Lifting of the corporate veil basically occurs when the courts refuse to looks at the technical aspects of the case in relation to the laws of the land but look at the real facts of the matter by going beyond the corporate veil to look at those who constitute the company i.e. members and Directors.
    pbschand Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Helpful
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 24, 2012, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pbschand View Post
    helpful
    Really? Helpful even if incorrect? The post dated Dec 10, 2010 is not exactly accurate. It's not that limited liablility for owners of a company is a "technical aspects of the case in relation to the laws of the land", it is the law of the land. :)
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pbschand View Post
    helpful

Don't take legal advice from people who can barely spell and definitely can't use punctuation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Introduction Letter (B2B) for a HR services outsourcing company [ 10 Answers ]

How can I make a good company Introduction letter (B2B), for a HR outsourcing company? Please help me out with any free samples.

Inflated tyre [ 5 Answers ]

Sir, I wanted to know whether the pressurised air in the automobile wheel will increase or decrease in a course of time if yes,why? surresh raja

Tyre Track Dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

What tyre track dimensions can be measured at a crime scene and how could this help identify the responsible vehicle\?

Flying within the continental US? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm going on a family vacation and I'm driving to Seattle then flying out of Seattle to Disneyland. Will I need a passports when I cross the border? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jen

Mountain chains that border great mid-continental basin [ 1 Answers ]

What are the two major mountain chains that border the great mid-continental basin drained by the Mississippi River system?

View more questions Search