Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2005, 09:59 AM
    Recognize this?
    The wall material in the photo seems to be some kind of glued and pressed bamboo? Anyone recognize it? It ain't drywall!
    Attached Images

labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 11:46 AM
    I think a lot of it was used in the 50's, maybe the 40's. I think it was plywood with the surface layer having texture from the wood being split. The original natural finish was very attractive, but likely most of it has had paint slapped on it in the last 50 years.

That leaves a dirt catching mess. If it has that insulation under it, perhaps rip it out, redo the insulation, and put an attractive wall covering in its place.

Oct 3, 2005, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I think a lot of it was used in the 50's, maybe the 40's. I think it was plywood with the surface layer having texture from the wood being split. The original natural finish was very attractive, but likely most of it has had paint slapped on it in the last 50 years.

That leaves a dirt catching mess. If it has that insulation under it, perhaps rip it out, redo the insulation, and put an attractive wall covering in its place.
    I'm thinking about drywall in its place after replacing the insulation with fiberglass batts. Your opinion?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 05:31 PM
    I find it a pain to mud, but is is a cheap, standard material. The only problem I see is the thickness. Drywall is at least twice as thick as most paneling. I am not sure what would happen at the windows and doors. If you have painted woodwork, you could remove the trim, shim out to the drywall, replace the trim and repaint. That would also give you a chance to detail the insulation between the windows and the rough opening, likely neglected when your house was built. Could also be an excuse to upgrade the windows to.

You could go with a retro look by replacing it with new wood paneling. There is also paneling that looks more like wallpaper, giving a more current look.

Oct 4, 2005, 05:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I find it a pain to mud, but is is a cheap, standard material. The only problem I see is the thickness. Drywall is at least twice as thick as most paneling. I am not sure what would happen at the windows and doors. If you have painted woodwork, you could remove the trim, shim out to the drywall, replace the trim and repaint. That would also give you a chance to detail the insulation between the windows and the rough opening, likely neglected when your house was built. Could also be an excuse to upgrade the windows to.

You could go with a retro look by replacing it with new wood paneling. There is also paneling that looks more like wallpaper, giving a more current look.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why some Christians will not recognize Cathoics? [ 26 Answers ]

I am not a Christian nor a Catholic but many of my relatives are devout Christians. One is even a minister. Anyway, when I think of a Christian, it includes Catholics and Orthodox Christians, etc.. However, one of my devout "Christian" relatives insisted that Catholic is not a Christian. He...

Do you recognize this font? [ 1 Answers ]

I've got this font I'm trying to find for a client. It's "The simple pleasure" part here. Said her friend got it for her from mfont.com, which is non-existant... so I'm rooting through www.myfonts.com for it... but there's zillions. Anyone got a name for it that might help my search? ...

Computer doesn't recognize my nd-1300a [ 10 Answers ]

Please help if you can. I have recently installed a nd-1300a dvd burner. I did not receive a cd with it. I have tried to download the firmware, but it does not work when I run it. It does not find the target drive for the firmware. The drive is in the device manager, but in the properties, the...

Computer does not recognize hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a big problem. Suddenly my bios does not recognize my harddisk anymore. Setup says it is not installed. I've checked the cables, they seem OK. I'm afraid to have lost all my data/harddrive. Does anyone knows what may be the problem? Thanks.

View more questions Search