Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TexasMom2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
    Wiring new range/oven to smaller wires
    We have an old wall oven and cook top, circa 1950's in our home. I want to know, is it okay to wire my new freestanding oven/range using 8/3 wire to the existing 10/3 wiring in the wall on the existing 40 amp breaker. Will it trip the breaker if I cook using the oven and the range or will it melt the wires and cause a fire? How safe is it and is it recommended. :confused:
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 04:06 AM
    A 40 amp circuit needs a minimum of #8 wire, or the risk is overheating of the #10 wire, and risk of fire.

Usually a cooktop/oven combination uses a #8 feeder cable that junctions to two #10 cables for each of the appliances at one of the appliances.

Are you sure the wire leaving the breaker is #10?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Codes on ge electric drop-in oven/range [ 1 Answers ]

Oven stops and displays codes f2 and f5 Can you tell me what these codes mean

Oven Range Wires [ 1 Answers ]

I just removed my range from above my stove so that I could put in a microwave to better utilize my countertop space. I have two wires now hanging from my wall that were previously attached to other wires from the range. One is white and one is black. Can I shove these back into the hole they...

Over the Range Microwave Oven [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing a new Over the Range Microwave Oven in my kitchen. I have already installed a dedicated outlet box with a 15 amp outlet (14/2 wire) to plug the oven into (nothing but the microwave will be plugged in to the outlet). The installation Instructions for the oven say the oven should be...

View more questions Search