Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deloris S Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 09:08 PM
    Raising the dishwasher to new heights...
    I would like for my dishwasher to be installed approximately 10 inches off the floor. It will be on a platform and it will be 36 inches from the sink drain. Would it be best to have its own drain line and if so how high do you recommend that it should be? If it is drained separately do we still need to put in an air gap? Are there any other problems we might encounter that we need to know about before we start?

BTW I really appreciate the help you guys have given me so far. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 02:47 AM
    I don't see any problems with it's height mechanically - and you should be able to, as is typical, tie the drain into the sink drain.

The bigger problem I envision is "blending it in" to your scheme: your cabinets and counter top: What are you thinking of doing to cover the sides and top of it since you won't be sticking it between the cabinets and under the counter?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2005, 07:21 AM
    Hi Deloris,
    Why would you wish to raise the dishwasher above the cabinet height?
    If you install a separate drain line you would also have to install a trap and a outside vent pipe as well. If you do this your best bet is to install a air gap and drain through a branch tailpiece to the kitchen sink. Cheers, Tom

Oct 3, 2005, 08:20 AM
    The dishwasher (dw) will be sit on a platform that will be faced with a "range panel with toe kick" that matches the cabinets. At the top of the dw there will be a full depth shelf where the microwave will sit. An 18"H x 24"W x 24"D wall cabinet will then be placed 18" above the shelf. On the side closest to the sink will be closed in with sheetrock from the counter up to the wall cabinet. There will be a tall utility cabinet put on the other side of the dw. All exposed edges of the dw assembly will be covered with trim matching the cabinets.

I hope that all made sense. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2005, 08:50 AM
    It doesn't need to make sense to us. Just fix the drain like Tom sad.

Oct 3, 2005, 11:40 AM
    "Why would you wish to raise the dishwasher above the cabinet height?"

Because I have back problems and this would mean less bending. Here is a link if you would like to one. Thanks for all of the help.
    http://www.showplacewood.com/Gallery....C21K.det.html
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 3, 2005, 11:48 AM
    Deloris,

Now it makes sense. We understand and hope your back gets better. Tom
    PS. I would still connect the drainage back to the sink.

Oct 3, 2005, 12:03 PM
    Thanks! We will connect to the sink. :)
    dcognac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
    Had to add my 2 cents. The person who wondered why Deloris would want to raise her dishwasher must not have one. According to ergonomic experts the dishwasher is an "ergonomic nightmare" and I fully agree. The low position of the bottom tray puts a strain on the back even if you don't have back problems. The dishwasher drawers, if placed just below counter tops is a partial solution but they are prone to repairs and too small for a big load. Some smart engineer needs to design a 30 or even 36 inch wide dishwasher drawer that works well. All designers and R&D people need to pay better attention to ergonomics today. The time has come to make kitchens more body friendly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wuthering Heights [ 1 Answers ]

;)PLease discuss the nature of Heathcliff and Catherine relationship ?Why there is extreme Love and extreme Hate in the novel?

Heights of entertainers [ 3 Answers ]

Please suggest a website that gives the heights of Entertainers.  if none available, please give us the Heights of the following: Bruce willis Demi moore Madonna Alex baldwin Mel gibson Tommy lee jones

How tall are these Actresses? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if you knew the heights of the following actresses? 1) Lorraine Bracco 2) Victoria Principal 3) Kelly Lebrock 4) Anne Archer 5) Glen Close 6) Meryl Streep 7) Karen Allen

Female Celebrities Heights [ 1 Answers ]

How tall are they? -Elizabeth McGovern -Kelly Lebrock -Elizabeth Perkins -Madeline Stowe -Connie Sellecca -Debra Winger -Joanna Going -Victoria Principal

Heights of entertainers [ 1 Answers ]

Please suggest website that gives heights of enter- Tainers. If not available, please advise heights of the Following actors: Goldie hawn Harrison ford Drew barrymore Robert redford Sarah jessica parker Jennifer anniston

View more questions Search