Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
    Writing Off Payment To AWOL Worker
    I hired a gentleman to do some construction work, paid him $500 cash in 3 payments, he did most of the work and I can not get in touch with him (his phone # is deactivated). I only have his first name and he did not give me a receipt. How can I write this off on my taxes? I do have receipts for construction materials I paid for that he installed.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 09:37 PM
    Truthfully,write it off just like you have the receipt,if the IRS questions it all they can do is take it off as a deduction.

Sep 24, 2007, 02:21 PM
    In the future, what would I need to get from an independent contractor to prove I paid them? Just a simple receipt? Do I need their full name and SSN on it?
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Not necessarily,a paycheck(personal or business) is all you'd need,with their signature cashing it you have proof of your end of the agreement(labor,etc)

Sep 25, 2007, 07:47 AM
    What documentation do I need if I'm paying them cash?
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2007, 09:07 AM
    Either you don't write it off,or contact an accountant to find cash issues and independent workers.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Have the contractor issue you a dated receipt with his name and address on it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

Co-worker a rat? [ 29 Answers ]

For his own sake, I won't say his name, but he is a retired corrections officer, now working as a security officer with me. No, I'm not his boss, I'm just someone who works with him, he and I are more or less at the same level in terms of "authority" on the job. Any way, one day, I went on the...

In Love with My Co-Worker [ 9 Answers ]

I came across this website looking for some sort of an answer to my problem. I feel its kind of sad not having anyone else in my life to turn to with this, and having to go to the internet and ask complete strangers to tell me what to do. I have friends, but they are idiots and have an emotional...

Any worker rights? [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend works for a small company that recently changed their pay scale. They are paid by the hour but will only get paid for what's billable, not for the amount of hours they are actually at the job. That also includes not getting paid for company meetings or waiting around for their...

Can I Sue Former Co-Worker [ 3 Answers ]

The small family owned business I work for is being maliciously targed by two former employees who have started their own company in the same industry. Both employees incorporated their new business while still employed with the company I work for. Using information such as client names, email,...

View more questions Search