Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pawprint Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2005, 06:14 PM
    Built a Computer - no power!
    I built a computer last night - powered it on, the fan on the power supply turned for about a second & nothing!
    I pulled out all the boards & DVD, hard, floppy cables, powered up and again, nothing! I don't even hear a buzz from the power supply.
    I even took the motherboard out of the case (thinking a short perhaps) & still
    Nothing. No noise, no beeps, no fan.
    There is no smell like electrical burn either.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2005, 04:06 AM
    Sounds like you blew the power supply.

So when you have just the motherboard with nothing on it expect for the power supply, do you hear the power supply fans working? Are there any lights on the motherboard anywhere to indicate the board is getting power.

Also let us know how experienced you are with building PC's. This will help us tailor the answers better for you.
    pawprint Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2005, 10:49 AM
    Well, I consider myself pretty knowledgeable - I can read & identify the parts - I've built systems before, but not for a couple of years.
    FYI - I took the old system (I KNOW the power supply was working) put the new board on it & nothing. I checked the jumpers again & can't see what would be causing the problem.
    Thanks!
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 6, 2005, 09:02 AM
    Have you checked the power cable, is the fuse OK? (swap with monitor if same type)

Also can you test the PSU in another machine.

What type of motherboard are you trying to install, some require two separate power lead connectors onto the motherboard!
    dajoker242 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2005, 09:12 AM
    Hay you
    Can some 1 tell me how to post a thred?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 6, 2005, 09:18 AM
    Choose a forum from Forums link in the blue bar

Click "ask a new question" at the top.

Type your question.

Click submit new thread!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer won't Power Down & No Signal! [ 4 Answers ]

Help!! We had a sever wind storm. :eek: I have my computer hooked up via a UPS. I missed the first power off - on - off, but I unplugged everything and powered down on the backup battery before another on - off power hit. After power resumed to normal service I plugged everything back in and...

Newly Built Computer Problems [ 9 Answers ]

Me and My Friend are building a computer for my girlfriend and when we put all the pieces together and started it up everything worked(Fans, HD Booted, Floppy, CD DVD Roms,LEDS) The only thing that won't seem to work is the monitor. We first Tried plugging it into the video card that we put in then...

Newly built computer for sale! Powerful Computer! [ 1 Answers ]

I have a computer for sale, here are the specs: DFI Landparty NF4 SLI-DR Motherboard AMD64 X2 Dual Core 4800+ Processor 1GB of Corsair XMS Dual Channel RAM Aspire X-Cruiser Silver Case 550 Watt Antec True Power Power Supply 7800GTX 256MB DDR3 Graphics Card with SLI enabled 300GB Maxtor...

Computer Power Supply [ 9 Answers ]

Hey peepz! I recently noticed that ma new computer overheats often, which is starting to worry me slightly :eek: . I was told that it could be the power supply unit which is 250V. I have the following specs... 3400+ 64 AMD Processor MicroStar MSI MS-6741 uATX Motherboard 1024MB RAM ATI...

View more questions Search