Ran ccleaner and window washer but it keeps regenarating itself
    Spybot s&d found it
    I saw the manual removal instructions but they aren't very clear
    Any ideas how to purge this pest

Ps what sort of threat is it

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 2, 2005, 03:47 PM
    First what A/V do you use? Second what about the removal instructions wasn't clear?
    yasasin1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2005, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First what A/V do you use? Second what about the removal instructions wasn't clear?

I've got bullguard ,adaware , micro beta , spy bot s&d and spywareblasater

S&D found it and seems to be the only one that does

OK instructions
    It was the close running programmes part , and dissabling dlls
    Also when I run removal tool after a bit I get a message saying something about two temp files being used by other programmes and a Y/N question but no matter what I answer it doesn't remove it

Also got ccleaner and window washer

Spybot fixes the problem but it keeps re appearing after any re start
    Here's were it is HKEY_Local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\servic es jm5289
    I can jump to location and manually delete it except for one part that windows can't access first part
    This thing is annoying
    Thanks for replying gratefull for any assistance :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2005, 04:15 AM
    Spyware
    Hi,
    There are many, many references to this Spyware Elitum on google.com, dogpile.com, and othe search engines.
    Most removal tools are "buy" tools with their program. The free scans will scan for it, but when it finds it, will not repair it until you buy their program.
    Here is something you can try; it will not harm your computer.
    Have you tried running your Spyware scans in SafeMode??
    Follow these instructions, and see if it will get rid of it.

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 3, 2005, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yasasin1
    ive got bullguard ,adaware , micro beta , spy bot s&d and spywareblasater

ok instructions
    it was the close running programmes part , and dissabling dlls
    also when i run removal tool after a bit i get a message saying something about two temp files being used by other programmes and a Y/N question but no matter what i answer it doesnt remove it
    Ok, Closing all running programs means to close anything running in the background. You can do this by going into Task Manager. But that may not be enough. Your best choice is to boot to Safe Mode (see Fred's instructions). This is a diagnostic mode that does a minimal load of Windows. All unnecessary programs and DLLs are not loaded. Run S&D from that or follow the manual instructions.

Oct 3, 2005, 08:18 AM
    I like the sound of diagnostic mode also the run scans 3 times will try both and let you all know how it goes
    This must be the worst trojan out there lol
    Thanks again all :)

Edit...
    Tried all things still there I've contacted spybot and bullguard
    Next step the PC doctor :(
    Thanks ayway folks :)

Ps if I find out how to purge it I will post solution for others
    Thanks again
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2005, 06:17 AM
    Elite bar
    Hi,
    Here is a link:

http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/...?TOPIC_ID=8335

It's referring to the Elite Bar, and you won't believe what you will see.
    There has to be an easier way to get rid of this Spyware from Hell.
    If I find it, I will let you know. As you discovered yourself, it seems that running in SafeMode doesn't work either!
    If you don't find anything else to try, you can always Edit the Registery. But, BE CAREFUL, and you would want to create a backup copy first, by simply shutting down the computer, turn if off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. It will save a good Registry that you can access later if you do something with the Registry, causing the computer to not start again.
    You could try the following:
    Go to Start/Run then type in REGEDIT, then click on OK. This brings up the Registry. At the top, click on Edit, then Find.
    In the space, type in anything associated with Elitum.Elite Bar.
    You could try typing in elitum, then remove the checkmark by "Match whole string only". Then click on Find Next.
    If it finds the word you are looking for, then Right click on what it found, and Left click on Delete. Press F3 to continue the search.
    After that, you could try typing in the words elite bar.
    And, search for that.
    After you finish, click on File, then Exit.
    Re-boot. If the computer will not boot up, then turn it off.
    Restart it, pressing the F8 key, and when it goes into the menu, select the "Last Known Good Configuration", and press Enter. This will replace the bad registry with the last known good one.
    If you try this, you do so AT YOUR OWN RISK.
    I have editied my own registry many times, and this does work.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Oct 4, 2005, 09:29 AM
    I have edited my registryand all files are deleted except 1 it won't allow me to delete.
    it is ab in a box at the side named reg-sz and says value not set .
    this is the only bit I can't remove any sugestions on this.
    you have been a great help with this so far .

ps
    other info I have
    advice given is to ignore (put on s&d ignore list) win xp sp2 should stop along with adaware and spyware blaster
    only other suggested advice is to reformat or scrap hard disk
    thanks again

Oct 5, 2005, 01:02 AM
    Got it
    Did what you said on your last post also got rid of these files on hijackthis

04-HKLM\.. Run:[ALi5289]C:\Program Files\ULI5289.exe
    04-HKLM\.. Run:[JMAP5289]C:\ProgramFiles\ULI5289\JMAP5289.exe

Thanks very guys for all your help. :D :D :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 5, 2005, 05:40 AM
    Elitum
    Hi,
    YAAA-a-a-a-a-a-a-a.
    I'm so glad you got rid of it.
    It's great when "a plan comes together"!!
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Oct 8, 2005, 06:15 AM
    Yeah

Thanks guys great help PC working a OK
    :D :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trojan. ByteVerify- I need help please! [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have encountered this trojan and it seems to be working hard to avoid deletion. MW 2000-5.00.2195 Service Pack 4 Intel (R) Celeron CPU 1.80 Ghz Dell Dimension 2300 The additional bugs found by Ad-Aware are: Beyond.Class

Very difficult hacking/virus problem [ 5 Answers ]

Question - Very difficult hacking/virus problem. My computer is suffering a lot of crashes etc, especially when on the internet. This is what happened... I received an e-mail said to be from paypal saying that I had been registered etc. As that wasn't true I opened it to read it. That's...

Trojan.Startpage [ 1 Answers ]

This virus has taken over my machine and I need it gone. I've used Ad-aware, Norton Antivirus, and Panda Activescan and none have worked. Below is my logfile. Please help!! Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0 Scan saved at 1:40:39 PM, on 1/4/2005 Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600) MSIE:...

Anti virus disable, is is a virus? [ 1 Answers ]

I was running AVG atni-virus, and it just stopped working... it would start to scan then completely close out, so I deleted it off my computer and re installed it I had the same problem so I got norton and I had the same problem.  so I'm guessing I have something on my computer that's turning them...

I have virus (pwsteal.trojan) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have virus in my computer called pwsteal.trojan and there is only one infected file : c:\windows\system32\explorer.exe and I have norton 2003 and it couldn't fix it or delete it. Then I tried 2 use (the cleaner)but also it couldn't fix it. Also I tried to enter symantec.com but I didn't...

View more questions Search