Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tinnman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Light and bath fan on one switch
    Hi, I need a little help. I want the bath fan and light to opperate on one switch. I ran the power to the light and have the fan connected at the light. Then I ran the switch to the light.my problem is when I turn the light on, the light is very dim and the fan is at half speed. What am I doing wrong?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2007, 10:23 PM
    You probably have the fan and light in series rather than parallel. Take white from the fan, tie to white of the light. Tie this to the neutral feed.

Take white from the switch and tag with a piece of black tape.

Take black from the light, and black from the fan and tie to the white with black tape above.

Connect the black from the switch to the hot feed.
    tinnman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2007, 05:39 AM
    Thanks, for the reply. I did figure it out shortly after my post
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:10 AM
    The above directions only work where the feed goes directly to the light and a switch loop is used. Not all lights are wired up that way.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Probably too late now, but like above, if you wired in series, when you unscrew the bulb, the fan would go out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a light kit on a ceiling fan where a switch enables both fan and light [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with three wires emerging from the top: white, black, red, and green. Presently the white, black, and green are hooked up to a switch and the fan works fine. The red is capped. The fan also has a chain which I intend on keeping on the medium setting indefinitely. ...

Installing fan and light switch for ceiling fan [ 9 Answers ]

I am trying to install a switch that controls both the ceiling fan with 3 speeds and a dimmer switch all in one unit for a hunter ceiling fan. At the wall switch there is a black wire which is always hot, a red and a ground. At the ceiling, where I removed a light fixture, there is a black, red,...

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

Trouble with ceiling fan on a dual fan/light dimmer switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and dual fan/light dimmer, also from Harbor Breeze. Unfortunately, now I'm scratching my head... Do I have a bad dimmer switch? Here's the problem: 1. The light will turn on only when the fan speed on the wall switch is set to high. 2. When...

Hampton Bay Bath Light Fixture - Not Fan related [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My Hampton Bay bath light fixture recently started to act up. It has 3 bulbs and when switched on, one bulb would go off for a minute or so then come back on. It does this on and off. I rewired the connectors and then a different bulb would have the problem. I replaced all the bulbs so it's...

View more questions Search