Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 23, 2007, 03:13 AM
    Closed "question"
    Are christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible no matter how true they might find it to be upon reading ? Every thinking christian owes it to themselves to research every source of possible contradiction, if for no other reason than being able to refute the contradictory material. Here are two good sites that every christian of intelligence ought to look into: God vs. the Bible & The Age of Reason.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Religion is faith/belief... just what a person choses to believe regardless of facts and knowledge. If Christians were interested in facts, they would reject ignorance and learn about sciences of all kinds.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
    This Christian is not averse to "knowlegde." This Christian has a doctorate and deals with life and death every day at work.

Your game is evident.

You come and pose these questions to try to sway believers.

Let me ask you this.
    How does science explain the origins of dna. Life from non-life?
    How does science explain the big bang?
    How does science explain HOPE?
    How does science explain LOVE?

Does science provide this to its belivers?
    Or does science also concur with the fact that we will all die?
    That this life is it. Survival of the fittest and all.
    Does science explain suffering any better than religion?

How does a deist have any HOPE in believing that the creator just created everything and left everything to "nature."

Grace and Peace
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 23, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Seeing as how we believe that the Bible is the true Word of God, not conradicting in any way, shape or form, untrue, or wrong on any level we have no need to study your supposed contradictions. We would rather spend our time studying the Bible to learn all we can and continue growing spiritually. I have to agree with inthebox.. your focus is on trying to sway believers, or making them look the fool. Why aren't you better spending your time growing in your faith and studying your beliefs to gain as much knowledge as you can. The only time I like to study what someone states is contradictions is to get a better understanding. Usually so called contradictions are centered on the tough scriptures. It doesn't hurt to study and get a better understanding of those scriptures. You know deist.. the "contradiction" you mentioned in Ezekiel in one of your other posts had never been brought to my attention before. Upon studying it last night God revealed the truth to me. Though it wasn't acceptable for you or a "poor explaination" in your opinion is not the point. I put it out there. I studied it, after a while of reading several times and cross studying I understood. I let you know what I learned. Whether you except it or not is no longer my concern. I did what I could, what I think God would have me do. It is not a Christians job to argue.. matter of fact God doesn't want us to do that. But at the same time we should not ingnore people's questions and let them them go on thinking what we believe to be incorrectly. Whether they end up agreeing, learning, or seeing is up to them, but at least we did what we could. Know this deist... God cannot reveal truth to you if your learning experience of the Bible is with a one sided mind. How can you see truth if in your mind there is none?
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    Religion is faith/belief...just what a person choses to believe regardless of facts and knowledge. If Christians were interested in facts, they would reject ignorance and learn about sciences of all kinds.
    That's just it.. it is fact to us. It can't be undeniably proven, but it is proven to us through God. We believe in something, we practice it, we study it to gain as much knowledge as we can... that is far from being ingnorant. It's actaully quite the opposite whether you agree with the material being learned or not.
    Focusing your attention on something you do not believe in, instead of the things that you do is ignorance.
    There is nothing wrong with learning about all things, but you are better off focusing more and learning more about the things you do believe in.
    A lawyer focusing most of their learning attention on how to perform surgery instead of law.. not too smart eh?
    Christians aren't close minded nor ignorant because they don't want to focus their attention on your "contradictions". They're smart not to.

Sep 24, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    This Christian is not averse to "knowlegde." This Christian has a doctorate and deals with life and death every day at work.

Your game is evident.

You come and pose these questions to try to sway believers.

Let me ask you this.

Does science provide this to its belivers?
    Or does science also concur with the fact that we will all die?
    That this life is it. Survival of the fittest and all.
    Does science explain suffering any better than religion?

How does a deist have any HOPE in believing that the creator just created everything and left everything to "nature."

Grace and Peace
    I'm a deist not an atheist. I believe God created the universe. Or more specifically I believe God created the original singularity that exploded in the big bang to form the universe. Everything else, by intention of God, evolved from that through natural laws that God also intended. I don't believe in original sin, or that human suffering stems from it. Suffering is just a part of living in a world where creatures live & die, it is neither good nor evil. I believe mental states such as hope & love evolved along with everything else as a part of the human mind that also evolved. And it is a fact that christians & muslims try to sway people everyday. That's the reason for Jesus' Great Commission, "Go ye into all the world & preach the gospel to every creature". Christians are trying to sway people when they go out on visitation to witness door to door. Muslims are trying to sway people everyday to convert to Islam. But my main purpose is not to sway, but to get people to think, to question, to quest. Deism is a thinking philosophy. Did God give us the gift of reason & a rational mind, only that we should reject it, not use it, & just accept things on faith without questioning ?
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 11:57 AM
    To me only doubt causeth reasoning
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    Muslims are trying to sway people everyday to convert to Islam.
    I have to tell you a fact, it is a muslims duty to remind people IF the reminder benefits.
    And we are not doing any swaying of minds/hearts one way or another .It is by the will and mercy of the Almighty that anyone is guided.
    No ones heart is in our hands to force it to believe one way or another.

When the Almighty guides to His light no one can take a person away from it, and when the light is taken away from a person then there is no one who can guide him back to it except the Almighty.

Sep 24, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Marily
    To me only doubt causeth reasoning
    Doubt causeth reasoning ?
    From freedictionary.com... Reason: the capacity for logical, rational, and analytic thought; intelligence.
    Are you saying here that you lack this capacity ?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 24, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Let me ask you this.
    To each of your questions - the same answer:
    Not yet with certainty perhaps, but be patient - it will happen.

People don't "believe" science like religious people "believe" their religion. There's a huge difference, science requires itself to prove things before they are believed.

Religious people continuously use things that are currently unknown to try to provide reasons for God. Why try to prove something by saying the other person cannot explain it satisfactorarily either. That doesn't prove you're right.

Find some better reasons for us to take you seriously. It doesn't take much thought to say "God did it" now does it?

If I say there is a purple monster living in your house that you will never find - prove me wrong. If you can't then I must be right - yes?

Here's a question for you, why did God do this? Why create the universe, earth and everything on it?
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    To each of your questions - the same answer:
    Not yet with certainty perhaps, but be patient - it will happen.

People dont "believe" science like religious people "believe" their religion. There's a huge difference, science requires itself to prove things before they are believed.

Religious people continuously use things that are currently unknown to try to provide reasons for God. Why try to prove something by saying the other person cannot explain it satisfactorarily either. That doesn't prove you're right.

Find some better reasons for us to take you seriously. It doesn't take much thought to say "God did it" now does it?

If I say there is a purple monster living in your house that you will never find - prove me wrong. If you can't then I must be right - yes?

Here's a question for you, why did God do this? Why create the universe, earth and everything on it?
    Why did God do this? Here's my answer... the same reason my daugther draws a picture of her family and puts it on the fridge 1) she loves what is in the picture 2) she is proud of it 3) she created it for other people to enjoy

We are here to worship a living God and enjoy the things he has provided.

Answer the flip side... if God didn't do any of this Why are we here and to what end?

In my opinion, there would be no reason to live, if it was all a coincidence.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 24, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    Why did God do this? Here's my answer...the same reason my daugther draws a picture of her family and puts it on the fridge 1) she loves what is in the picture 2) she is proud of it 3) she created it for other people to enjoy
    So, what your saying is that God had nothing to love (before the universe etc)so he created something for him to love? You don't hear the lonely God explanation very often but I'll admit it has merit.

2, He can't have created something because he was proud of it - that's just in the wrong order.

3, I see this one, He created the universe and everything to show off to his other Godly friends. Now that's a good reason! Tell me more about all the other Gods that our God is trying to impress by creating the universe.

Sep 24, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    So, what your saying is that God had nothing to love (before the universe etc)so he created something for him to love? You don't hear the lonely God explanation very often but i'll admit it has merit.

2, He can't have created something because he was proud of it - thats just in the wrong order.

3, I see this one, He created the universe and everything to show off to his other Godly friends. Now that's a good reason! Tell me more about all the other Gods that our God is trying to impress by creating the universe.

Thank you for analyzing the entire analogy and not getting the "big" picture. And also did you forget or miss the question I asked you?

Sep 24, 2007, 02:12 PM
    Back to the original question I asked that started this thread. Are christians (& muslims for that matter) averse to researching anything that might bring their view of the bible (or the quran) into question ?

Sep 24, 2007, 02:16 PM
    Back to the original question I asked that started this thread. Are christians (& muslims for that matter) averse to researching anything that might bring their view of the bible (or the quran) into question ?

The seed of doubt can be easily implanted into the minds of anyone including believers strong in their faith... for that reason I am skeptical to hold any amount of creditability to any research that looks to put the Bible in question.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Could you be specific on what you mean by averse?
    Give a list of something's that you have in mind.

Sep 24, 2007, 02:23 PM
    The seed of doubt can be easily implanted into the minds of anyone including believers strong in their faith...for that reason I am skeptical to hold any amount of creditability to any research that looks to put the Bible in question.
    If you don't check out the sources that claim to put the bible in doubt how can you know they are in error ? And if you don't know what arguments they present how can you refute them ?

Sep 24, 2007, 02:25 PM
    If you don't check out the sources that claim to put the bible in doubt how can you know they are in error ? And if you don't know what arguments they present how can you refute them ?

I can refute them because I have a Biblical world view to refute them with. I know that the sources are in error because it comes from man with the intention of discrediting God and the Bible.

Sep 24, 2007, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    Could you be specific on what you mean by averse?
    Give a list of somethings that you have in mind.
    I'll rephrase the question. Are christians or muslims disinclined (averse) to research anything that might bring the bible or the quran into question ?

Sep 24, 2007, 02:29 PM
    I can refute them because I have a Biblical world view to refute them with. I know that the sources are in error because it comes from man with the intention of discrediting God and the Bible.
    I submit that the bible comes from man also, & is interpreted by man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search