Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 08:57 PM
    The four gospels do not contradict . They were written by four different men coming from different perspectives, but writing about the same Jesus.
    Matthew was written to the Jews. He objective was to prove the authenticity of Christ. To prove to the Jews that Jesus was the Messiah. This is why he thought it important to have the genealogy. Mark's thing was to give a summary of His teachings.
    Luke was a Gentile, he wrote with the gentile world in mind. He gospel is more about Jesus being a Savior to the gentiles, the sympathy of Christ.
    John was closest to Christ. He was very contemplative, his was more a supplement to all of the gospels. His contains a lot more history and facts.
    It's like having singers from four different genres sing the same song. Same song, four different styles.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 27, 2007, 05:09 AM
    Advocating hell. We're not in favor of hell or people going to hell. It's the exact opposite actually. It is not our choice whether people go to Heaven or hell...never was.

Yes it is you prawn, by believing in this rubbish! You're not forced to be a Christian you know, do you do everything your parents told you? Hell has always been the stick to get people to join up!

What you should be wondering is why someone who doesn't believe in God should go to Heaven. It's like your employer paying you for not working. Besides, if someone does not believe in God then Heaven and hell does not exist for them.

Yes, I was looking at it from a Christian point of view (for those that did not get it the first time round) And asking whether being good is valued by your God – clearly not.

Do you think we don't care? It is a sad thing that there will be many people that will go to hell, even good people. If we are doing what we are supposed to do then we will be trying to win over as many souls to Christ as we can. You do what you can and let God take care of the rest. No one could sleep at night if they dwelled on it. It's no different than dwelling on all the bad in the world...cancers, AIDS, child abuse, poverty, etc. How do you sleep at night? because you don't dwell on it.

Firstly I can sleep at night in the knowledge that I am not a bad person.

You lot however agree that innocent people should go to hell just cause they don't believe in god. What about tribes, infants etc. that have never been told about god. In your system they all go to hell! Try thinking about the points raised in this thread before blindly following someone else's thoughts.

No true Christian would believe hell is good. It is because of our belief that we ask for salvation. It is through God's grace that we are saved. And it is because of all three that God gives us eternal life/Heaven.

I'm sorry, did I miss something here. Firstly you say it is right for all non-believes to go to hell (approval of hell) and then you say hell is not good.

You people are just plain crazy, you don't even listen to yourselves speaking and forget logic or any kind of sense. You're just away with the fairies. I don't mind that in itself, but don't try to pretend that your religion makes sense to non-brainwashed people.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 27, 2007, 07:19 AM
    StuMegu; what has caused you to be so bitter and hateful of Christian beliefs? If you don't believe that you have to be saved by grace through Jesus to have eternal salvation than what is the problem with what we are saying. You just don't believe it. We believe just being good will not get you into heaven. That doesn't mean that is the way we or God wants it but you personally have to make a decision to follow Him. That is free will. You have the choice to believe or not, that is your choice. It seems from the way you talk that you have made the choice to not follow Him and that is why we take the time to talk and explain.

1). If you believe in God just to get out of going to Hell don't you think God can see right through that motive, so how would that be "our stick" to get people to join. We don't need numbers to fill some quota.

2). Again there is a lot of forgiveness from God toward infants, children, etc that don't have the capacity to believe (ie David in the Old Testament lost a child and he stated that he would be with him in heaven; the infant couldn't believe in God yet but based on the bible passage he will indeed be in heaven)

3). HELL IS NOT GOOD! But unfortunately people will end up there that choose not to believe

Do you think the Bible is a "religion"? Because what I am referencing or quoting doesn't come from religious rules it comes for the Bible...
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    I'm a deist not an atheist. I believe God created the universe. Or more specifically I believe God created the original singularity that exploded in the big bang to form the universe. Everything else, by intention of God, evolved from that through natural laws that God also intended. I don't believe in original sin, or that human suffering stems from it. Suffering is just a part of living in a world where creatures live & die, it is neither good nor evil. I believe mental states such as hope & love evolved along with everything else as a part of the human mind that also evolved. And it is a fact that christians & muslims try to sway people everyday. That's the reason for Jesus' Great Commission, "Go ye into all the world & preach the gospel to every creature". Christians are trying to sway people when they go out on visitation to witness door to door. Muslims are trying to sway people everyday to convert to Islam. But my main purpose is not to sway, but to get people to think, to question, to quest. Deism is a thinking philosophy. Did God give us the gift of reason & a rational mind, only that we should reject it, not use it, & just accept things on faith without questioning ?
    Where is the "research" - the proof that the human minds and such ideas of hope and love
    "evolved?"

Is the casual observer suppose to believe that just because you or other evolutionists or universities teach that?

Evolution cannot explain life from non life. It cannot even explain how a protein like hemoglobin came about, and yet it is taught as fact and anyone who questions it is wrong.

In your own words deism is a philosophy that suffering is neither good nor evil?

If you believe God created the universe, how can you believe that God is some finite object that man can put under a microscope?

Grace and Peace
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 27, 2007, 08:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma

I would look at your own posts on President Bush to see what anger is about.
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 27, 2007, 08:40 AM
    You lot however agree that innocent people should go to hell just cause they don't believe in god. What about tribes, infants etc. that have never been told about god. In your system they all go to hell! Try thinking about the points raised in this thread before blindly following someone else's thoughts.

You should try learning about something before you speak of it as if you know what you are talking about. God has mercy on the inncocent and will not send someone to hell who does not have the capability of understanding. But He will have no mercy on someone who can understand but chooses not to.

I'm sorry, did I miss something here. Firstly you say it is right for all non-believes to go to hell (approval of hell) and then you say hell is not good.

Approval or disapproval of hell is not even a question or thought in our minds. It is the way God made things to be and it is the way they WILL be. It matters not what anyone thinks. Why should anyone get anything they do not deserve?
    You think.. I will be a good person so that when I die if there truly is a God I can go to heaven? That way you get it both ways, right? While on earth you don't have to do something so low as to humble yourself to God, but just in case there is a Heaven, I will be a good person so I will still be deserving of Heaven? Wrong! And that's what you're angry about, right? That we don't think it or believe it to be that way? If you think it should be that way then you are the one without sense.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    I would look at your own posts on President Bush to see what anger is about.
    Good point, he is ruining your country not mine. You sit idly by and all will settle itself I'm sure. Maybe praying will help.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    Where is the "research" - the proof that the human minds and such ideas of hope and love
    "evolved?"

Is the casual observer suppose to believe that just because you or other evolutionists or universities teach that?

Evolution cannot explain life from non life. It cannot even explain how a protein like hemoglobin came about, and yet it is taught as fact and anyone who questions it is wrong.

In your own words deism is a philosophy that suffering is neither good nor evil?

If you believe God created the universe, how can you believe that God is some finite object that man can put under a microscope?

Grace and Peace
    Even if I provided you websites to research I doubt you would research them. I already provided the site God versus the bible, God vs. the Bible. And some of those who have responded to this thread have shown that, indeed, christians are averse to researching anything that may put the bible in doubt. It is a fact that modern biology & medicine is dependent upon evolutionary science. No christian just became a christian out of the blue. They were talked into it by another christian, whether it be a parent, a pastor, a friend, or the writers of the New Testament. The bible is not God's revelation to man, the creation itself is God's revelation to us. We discover God through observation of God's universe through the means of science. God did not give us a rational, reasoning, mind, only that we should reject it & accept things on faith alone. God gave us a reasoning mind that we should use them in the pursuit of knowledge through observing God's universe.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    You are only considering this as an ether/or. It is actually both. The verses do not say at what point Simon was forced into taking the cross. Nor do the verses mean that Jesus carried the cross the whole way. John omits the details of Simon being forced to carry the cross. That does not mean that he didn’t. Mark does not say that Jesus carried the cross himself for a while. That does not mean that he didn’t.

For example: What did I do today? I woke up and went to work. After work I had supper and now I am at my computer. This is all true.

Now I will tell you about my day again. I woke up, took a shower, had breakfast, and drove to work. After work I drove home, on the way home I stopped by the store and picked up some food for supper. This is all true as well.

These two stories do not contradict each other.
    You don't think Simon carrying the cross was sort of significant? Seems odd that an important thing such as that was left out...

There's also contradiction on Jesus' last words (Mat 27:46, Luke 23:46 and John 19:30), but I'm sure that's because they all heard something different, or they remembered differently, right? Seems to me if they remembered differently that's an error... There's also some contradiction about time...

But what do you care? The bible is the enerrant word of god, and no amount of pointed out errors will cause you to think otherwise.

Sep 27, 2007, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    StuMegu; what has caused you to be so bitter and hateful of Christian beliefs? If you don't believe that you have to be saved by grace through Jesus to have eternal salvation than what is the problem with what we are saying. You just don't believe it. We believe just being good will not get you into heaven. That doesn't mean that is the way we or God wants it but you personally have to make a decision to follow Him. That is free will. You have the choice to believe or not, that is your choice. It seems from the way you talk that you have made the choice to not follow Him and that is why we take the time to talk and explain.
    It's not much of a choice really, more an application of intelligent thought leading to a single possibility. What's your excuse?

I don't consider myself hateful, I have no external compulsion to come to this place and engage in argument with you, so what do you think my motives are?

1). If you believe in God just to get out of going to Hell don't you think God can see right through that motive, so how would that be "our stick" to get people to join. We don't need numbers to fill some quota.
    Ok, so why send people who don't believe to hell then, why not just end their existence? Do you understand this point - without the threat of hell (the stick) you (religious people) have to work harder at selling heaven (the carrot).

Also, lets say someone is scared of hell and decides to "join up". They devote the rest of their life to God and truly repent of all their sins. You say that God would see right though them and off they go to hell.

2). Again there is a lot of forgiveness from God toward infants, children, etc that don't have the capacity to believe (ie David in the Old Testament lost a child and he stated that he would be with him in heaven; the infant couldn't believe in God yet but based on the bible passage he will indeed be in heaven)
    What about the angel of death? I'm just dying (no pun intended) to hear your excuse for that one :) :) :)

3). HELL IS NOT GOOD! but unfortunately people will end up there that choose not to believe
    Do you agree that this is not a very balanced moral stance - good people along with murderers and rapists etc.

Do you think the Bible is a "religion"? because what I am referencing or quoting doesn't come from religious rules it comes for the Bible....
    Wow, you've done it again, I am amazed. I always thought the bible was a religious object and contained rules. What a dummy I am, please explain the difference so I can be more lucid next time.

Sep 27, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitWaves
    You should try learning about something before you speak of it as if you know what you are talking about. God has mercy on the inncocent and will not send someone to hell who does not have the capability of understanding. But He will have no mercy on someone who can understand but chooses not to.
    Approval or disapproval of hell is not even a question or thought in our minds. It is the way God made things to be and it is the way they WILL be. It matters not what anyone thinks. Why should anyone get anything they do not deserve?
    Exactly, why do good people get put in HELL AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!! I'm BURRRRNNNNNIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG!!

Quote Originally Posted by MoonlitWaves
    You think..I will be a good person so that when I die if there truly is a God I can go to heaven? That way you get it both ways, right?
    While on earth you don't have to do something so low as to humble yourself to God, but just in case there is a Heaven, I will be a good person so I will still be deserving of Heaven? Wrong! And that's what you're angry about, right? That we don't think it or believe it to be that way? If you think it should be that way then you are the one without sense.
    Wrong. I think there is no God! (and I'm right:)) I am just trying to understand why you lot agree that (in your system) good people should burn (see above for my description of hell).

Please remind me of where it says that anyone who hasn't heard of God will go to Heaven. I assume you wouldn't make such a claim without biblical evidence?

Sep 27, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    It's not much of a choice really, more an application of inteligent thought leading to a single possibility. What's your excuse?

I don't consider myself hateful, I have no external compulsion to come to this place and engage in argument with you, so what do you think my motives are?

Ok, so why send people who dont believe to hell then, why not just end their existence? Do you understand this point - without the threat of hell (the stick) you (religious people) have to work harder at selling heaven (the carrot).

Also, lets say someone is scared of hell and decides to "join up". They devote the rest of their life to God and truly repent of all their sins. You say that God would see right though them and off they go to hell.

What about the angel of death? I'm just dying (no pun intended) to hear your excuse for that one :) :) :)

Do you agree that this is not a very balanced moral stance - good people along with murderers and rapists etc.

Wow, you've done it again, I am amazed. I always thought the bible was a religious object and contained rules. What a dummy I am, please explain the difference so I can be more lucid next time.

You clearly have made a choice not to believe in God so you are confident in the result and so on and so forth...

I can't say things in any different way than I am, you are just not willing to hear. That is why I wonder why do you continue on with these discussions? I am happy to answer your questions based on my beliefs if you truly want them but if the answers are just being used for more fuel for your fire than there is no need. I do hope and pray that someday God will speak to you through someone or an event and you will listen.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 11:52 AM
    I do hope and pray that someday God will speak to you through someone or an event and you will listen.
    I do hope that one day you will come out of your daze, live your life according to your own rules and drop this charade of organized religion. We are available to teach you this if you will listen.

Sep 27, 2007, 12:05 PM
    You clearly have made a choice not to believe in God so you are confident in the end result and so on and so forth...

I can't say things in any different way than I am, you are just not willing to hear. That is why I wonder why do you continue on with these discussions? I am happy to answer your questions based on my beliefs if you truly want them but if the answers are just being used for more fuel for your fire than there is no need. I do hope and pray that someday God will speak to you through someone or an event and you will listen.
    "I can't say things in any different way than I am, you are just not willing to hear. That is why I wonder why do you continue on with these discussions?"

That bit was good - mind if I bounce it back at you? I also have the higher ground of actually attempting to make sense :D

Sep 27, 2007, 12:42 PM
    Stu and need, I hear you both loud and clear.
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Then you have seen the rational view and will change your ways?

Sep 27, 2007, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Then you have seen the rational view and will change your ways?

Ha, no I'm sorry:D
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2007, 02:38 PM
    Isn't it annoying having someone tell you how wrong you are all the time? :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Ha, no I'm sorry:D
    Liar, you aren't sorry! :D
    SpaceRatt Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Sep 27, 2007, 05:46 PM
    "Are christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible"

No.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search