Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Sep 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    I submit that the bible comes from man also, & is interpreted by man.
    It was written by man but authored by God. I hold it as true and accurate in all regards!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2007, 02:39 PM
    I'll rephrase the question. Are christians or muslims disinclined (averse) to research anything that might bring the bible or the quran into question ?
    I accept the Quran as the word of the Almighty without question or doubt.
    So there is no question of me trying to disprove it or to disprove it is the word of the Almighty.

Now if you have questions regarding the Quran and Islam, if possible I will find answers for them (I say this because I am just a muslim and not an Islamic scholar).
    But when you ask do bear in mind that a lot of belief in the Quran involves faith in the Almighty and you will not understand this nor will you accept it.

Another thing is that you are already prejudiced against the Quran and hence whatever I say, you will counteract with your comments about how it is not proof.So when you do ask questions keep an open mind and read to understand even if you do not accept.

And if you wish to ask questions in Islam, please use the appropriate topic and start a new thread.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    It was written by man but authored by God. I hold it as true and accurate in all regards!
    See my question under the thread on Revelation or hearsay, & the thread Failed prophecy.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Sep 25, 2007, 04:25 AM
    Thank you for analyzing the entire analogy and not getting the "big" picture. And also did you forget or miss the question I asked you?
    Why are we here? - No reason - chance, inevtibility.

Now that I have answered your question please answer mine - Why did God do it?

Or another, what did god do before he made the universe?

Or another, why is the universe so big? What else does it contain - other worlds with other people on like you and me?

Please don't use the "big picture" excuse with me, it really doesn't work. Either answer the question or don't.

Can I ask another question to everyone out there please?
    If I were to choose a religion from a neutral view point which should I choose?
    cerulean Posts: 110, Reputation: 5

Sep 25, 2007, 04:33 AM
    Are christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible no matter how true they might find it to be upon reading ? Every thinking christian owes it to themselves to research every source of possible contradiction, if for no other reason than being able to refute the contradictory material. Here are two good sites that every christian of intelligence ought to look into: God vs. the Bible & The Age of Reason.
    Of course they are adverse to research. They have been brainwashed and told for centuries not to empower themselves and instead believe what they are told. They are like soldiers just believing what they are told and contradicting themselves all the time because they are more involved with the shiny badges that represent their religions, and they have forgotten that to be spiritual means to also do spiritual things, create spiritual events and address spiritual concerns that will empower and educate the world.

That never happens, what usually happens is that a religion goes into a village and forces their religion upon another at the expense of the villages cultural ideas and customs. If it hurts no one, it can't be that bad. If its creating great havoc in the world, its something that needs to END.

These types are as common as the penny Im afraid. For all the good they think they do, they are nearly always hypocritical. I don't have the time to write a thesis on the subject, but it's a very old one for me.

Sep 25, 2007, 04:34 AM
    I submit that the bible comes from man also, & is interpreted by man.
    Of course it was, that's why we are in such a mess these days and always have been. :rolleyes:

The most sane quotes come from Jesus, mostly everyone else in there sounds like an egotistical madman whose number one obsession is to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. Its quite sickening and immature.

Sep 25, 2007, 04:38 AM
    I'll rephrase the question. Are christians or muslims disinclined (averse) to research anything that might bring the bible or the quran into question ?
    Of course. There is no room for doubt in that belief thought construct. If they began to question their beliefs which are so entwined with their identity, they feel in their subconscious that they would then lose their identity and not know who they are. The ideas of spirituality that they are told to accept usually begins early on in their lives, by the time they grow up, they are too mind controlled to do any independent research. They have become one with their doctrines and dogma's. This is why there is so much war, everyone thinks they are right, that they are spiritual, and their idea of spirituality is to kill each other.

That's SOME spirituality isn't it? Its insane. Its all about ego. In their relentless pursuit for "the truth" they forgot to be spiritual.

They are constantly lamblasted with ideas of "faith" and very few real answers that will work in their personal lives and in the world. Its embarrassing to be around one as I always feel like Im around a little child who never grew up.

This is not to say Im not spiritual, I have had incredible visions, dreams that came true etc. I am not part of religion or atheism, I do my own fearless research and I have a conscious working mind. :eek:

Sep 25, 2007, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cerulean
    Of course it was, thats why we are in such a mess these days and always have been. :rolleyes:

The most sane quotes come from Jesus, mostly everyone else in there sounds like an egotistical madman whose number one obsession is to believe they are right and everyone else is wrong. Its quite sickening and immature.

Who else matters but JESUS! He is the "way the truth and the light, no man comes to the Father except through Him"

Sep 25, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    Why are we here? - No reason - chance, inevtibility.

Now that I have answered your question please answer mine - Why did God do it? I did answer in previous post.
    Or another, what did god do before he made the universe? I don't know; does anyone?

Or another, why is the universe so big? what else does it contain - other worlds with other people on like you and me? We may know these answers by the end of our life but we may not. I am not so much concerned about those questions as I am about how can I treat people with love and compassion each and every day.
    Please don't use the "big picture" excuse with me, it really doesn't work. Either answer the question or dont.

Can I ask another question to everyone out there please?
    If I were to choose a religion from a neutral view point which should I choose?

I think many people have a big problem with "religion" and I don't blame them. They also have a problem with the hypocrisy in the church, with religious leaders, and with christians in general; and I don't blame them for that either. Religion is a set of beliefs that can or cannot be in-line with what Jesus taught. Jesus did not spend as much time with religious leaders as he did with his friends or in prayer with his Father. He many times said for "His Father's will to come and be done on earth" not the will of the religious in power or a certain religious philosophy. So I believe your "religion" should be your personal relationship with God the Father through belief and trust in Jesus our savior; nothing more nothing less

Sep 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    I am not so much concerned about those questions as I am about how can I treat people with love and compassion each and every day
    So, do you need God to make you do that then? Would you be a bad person if it wasn't for God watching your every move?

To me, compassion and love do not depend on a God to threaten me into it.

If, when I die, it turns out I was wrong and there is a God, will I go to hell just for not believing in him? I think that I am a fairly good human being, does that not count for anything in the final reckoning?

Sep 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
    So, do you need God to make you do that then? Would you be a bad person if it wasn't for God watching your every move? I don't need God to make me do it but i sometimes need a reminder (love you neighbor as yourself) to love the ones I don't want to.
    To me, compassion and love do not depend on a God to threaten me into it. I agree.

If, when I die, it turns out I was wrong and there is a God, will I go to hell just for not believing in him? The Bible and my belief say yes.
    I think that I am a fairly good human being, does that not count for anything in the final reckoning? Again according to the Bible and my beliefs it won't "we are saved by grace not by works"

God is not an evil commander in the sky waiting to punish you. I know a lot of people have that view for whatever reason or experience. We all face trials and pain in our life but don't blame it on God when it occurs. Find the good in your experiences and grow from them.

Sep 26, 2007, 12:32 AM
    God is not an evil commander in the sky waiting to punish you. I know a lot of people have that view for whatever reason or experience. We all face trials and pain in our life but don't blame it on God when it occurs. Find the good in your experiences and grow from them.
    Wow! I find it absolutely amazing that you follow this God then, He places NO value on good deeds, only belief. As you yourself say, good deeds will not get someone into heaven.

When you die I hope you are both happy together - I will not support such a selfish God who takes brainless followers over people who do good deeds for the sake of it. You should be ashamed of your religion for such rules.

Sep 26, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Wow! I find it absolutely amazing that you follow this God then, He places NO value on good deeds, only belief. As you yourself say, good deeds will not get someone into heaven.

When you die I hope you are both happy together - I will not support such a selfish God who takes brainless followers over people who do good deeds for the sake of it. You should be ashamed of your religion for such rules.

You do not seem understand the concept... You are only saved by God's grace, if you believe and trust in Him. Good works are not required for that criteria but of course He does place value on good works. The two greatest commandments from God are 1) Love God with all your heart, soul, mind 2) love your neighbor as yourself... I don't know about you but loving people is a good work and something I have to try really hard to do in many cases. We as believers will be rewarded in heaven for the works we do here on earth.

And I am not ashamed of my beliefs and I am glad you are amazed that I follow this God because so am I!

Sep 26, 2007, 10:21 AM
    You do not seem understand the concept...You are only saved by God's grace, if you believe and trust in Him. Good works are not required for that criteria but of course He does place value on good works. The two greatest commandments from God are 1) Love God with all your heart, soul, mind 2) love your neighbor as yourself....I don't know about you but loving people is a good work and something I have to try really hard to do in many cases. We as believers will be rewarded in heaven for the works we do here on earth.

And I am not ashamed of my beliefs and I am glad you are amazed that I follow this God because so am I!
    You don't seem to understand what you are advocating. That all good people from the entire globe (apart from those who follow your religion) should go to hell for eternity.

HELL!! For all eternity!! For what crime - not believing in God.

How do you people sleep at night?

If you all believe that this is good and just then I just hope you never serve on a jury.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Hello Angry Christians
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Sep 26, 2007, 05:02 PM
    You don't seem to understand what you are advocating. That all good people from the entire globe (apart from those who follow your religion) should go to hell for eternity.

Advocating hell. We're not in favor of hell or people going to hell. It's the exact opposite actually. It is not our choice whether people go to Heaven or hell... never was.

HELL!!! for all eternity!!! for what crime - not believing in God.

What you should be wondering is why someone who doesn't believe in God should go to Heaven. It's like your employer paying you for not working. Besides, if someone does not believe in God then Heaven and hell does not exist for them.

How do you people sleep at night?

Do you think we don't care? It is a sad thing that there will be many people that will go to hell, even good people. If we are doing what we are supposed to do then we will be trying to win over as many souls to Christ as we can. You do what you can and let God take care of the rest. No one could sleep at night if they dwelled on it. It's no different than dwelling on all the bad in the world... cancers, AIDS, child abuse, poverty, etc. How do you sleep at night? Because you don't dwell on it.

If you all believe that this is good and just then i just hope you never serve on a jury.

No true Christian would believe hell is good. It is because of our belief that we ask for salvation. It is through God's grace that we are saved. And it is because of all three that God gives us eternal life/Heaven.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Are christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible no matter how true they might find it to be upon reading ? Every thinking christian owes it to themselves to research every source of possible contradiction, if for no other reason than being able to refute the contradictory material. Here are two good sites that every christian of intelligence ought to look into: God vs. the Bible & The Age of Reason.
    Christians don't have to chase after the truth, and why research contradictions when you know you have the truth. Why do we know we have the truth, because Jesus told us. He frequently said I tell you the truth
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete
    Christians don't have to chase after the truth, and why research contradictions when you know you have the truth. Why do we know we have the truth, because Jesus told us. He frequently said I tell you the truth
    Wait, what? :confused: Why research contradictions when you know you have the truth? That makes no sense...

If you (not you, but the general "you") claim the bible is without error, and there are no contradictions, then how can you explain away obvious contradictions? And what does the "truth" have to do with anything? If I say, "The sky is blue" and you say, "The sky is purple", one of us is right, and the other is wrong. So how can two portions of the bible, which contradict one another, both be right? How do you find the "truth" when you are being told two different things? Doesn't logic tell you one must be right and the other is wrong? And thus, the bible is not without error?

I'll even point to a discrepancy:

John 19:17; Jesus carries his own cross
    John 19 King James Bible

Mark 15:21-22; Simon carries Jesus' cross
    Mark 15 King James Bible

I've got more, if you want 'em.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Are Christians averse to researching anything that would contradict the bible no matter how true they might find it to be upon reading ? Every thinking christian owes it to themselves to research every source of possible contradiction, if for no other reason than being able to refute the contradictory material. Here are two good sites that every christian of intelligence ought to look into: God vs. the Bible & The Age of Reason.
    I find it hilarious when people make comments like this. It is assuming that Christians walk around afraid to question. Like we're afraid we are going to see something to shake our faith.
    I am very sure of my faith and what I believe. I have no problem reading other things, I find some things funny and some things I explore a little further. With God all things are possible, so it all comes back to HIM. Perhaps people such as yourself should not be so afraid you might believe and open your heart to what God has for you.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Sep 26, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Wait, what? :confused: Why research contradictions when you know you have the truth? That makes no sense...

If you (not you, but the general "you") claim the bible is without error, and there are no contradictions, then how can you explain away obvious contradictions? And what does the "truth" have to do with anything? If I say, "The sky is blue" and you say, "The sky is purple", one of us is right, and the other is wrong. So how can two portions of the bible, which contradict one another, both be right? How do you find the "truth" when you are being told two different things? Doesn't logic tell you one must be right and the other is wrong? And thus, the bible is not without error?

I'll even point to a discrepancy:

John 19:17; Jesus carries his own cross
    John 19 King James Bible

Mark 15:21-22; Simon carries Jesus' cross
    Mark 15 King James Bible

I've got more, if you want 'em.
    You are only considering this as an ether/or. It is actually both. The verses do not say at what point Simon was forced into taking the cross. Nor do the verses mean that Jesus carried the cross the whole way. John omits the details of Simon being forced to carry the cross. That does not mean that he didn’t. Mark does not say that Jesus carried the cross himself for a while. That does not mean that he didn’t.

For example: What did I do today? I woke up and went to work. After work I had supper and now I am at my computer. This is all true.

Now I will tell you about my day again. I woke up, took a shower, had breakfast, and drove to work. After work I drove home, on the way home I stopped by the store and picked up some food for supper. This is all true as well.

These two stories do not contradict each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Closed Adoption [ 4 Answers ]

I was adopted through a closed adoption. How can I find my birth mother?? There has to be a way. I am 21 years old. I do not know her name, age, or birth date. I do know the hospital I was born at and the attending physician. I also know she was of Irish-Norwegian decent. I have no real...

My monroe closed up :( [ 10 Answers ]

I had it in for over a month and the ball came off last night. I couldn't put a new one in until today. Now its closed. What should I do?

Closed in spaces? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it normal for young boys or children to enjoy being in tight spaces? Like closed boxes, duffel bags, storage totes, etc. My 8 yr old son does this a lot and someone told me it is a sign of autism. Could this be true?

A closed case! [ 2 Answers ]

Once a case is closed, is it possible to appeal it even though I signed a waiver basically signing over my rights? I got charged for 6 bad checks I didn't write and how I found out was I got rear ended and the reporting officer said I had a warrant out for my arrest. So after doing the accident...

My thermostat closed up... [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 94 mitsubishi mighty max 2-wheel drive truck.My engine is a 4-cylinder 2.4liter.It has 93,000 miles on it.My thermostat closed up the other day and my truck started to overheat I was heading home so every couple of miles I would stop and let the truck cool down but I think I still may...

View more questions Search